Two rearfacing in a 1999 Corolla

dubhreubel

My DD is 19 months and in a MR65 rfing outboard on the passengers side. It's the only place her seat fits in our car. I was planning on trying a TF rfing for the new babe (due in December) behind my DH, but we may not be able to replace the car before the babe outgrows the smaller part, and it would likely have to be outboard on the drivers side. DH needs the seat all the way back to drive, so it has to be small.

So I'm now considering a radian, does anybody know how well it would puzzle with a rfing MR65? I was thinking it might be slim and low enough to put the new babe rfing in the middle, which has the added benefit of me being able to sit with him (I don't drive.) To be honest, I don't even know if the TF will fit behind DH or not, but we have to make something work, or my DD will have to turn FFing at almost 2, since it's obviously a bigger priority for the new babe to be rfing than my older child.

Even the bucket seat we had with DD (It was crashed, which is why we aren't using it.) wouldn't fit behind DHs seat, and isn't an option this time. We need a convertible that will fit a tiny babe (DD was 6lbs 8oz when she came home, but closer to the size of a 5.5 lb baby) and isn't going to cost us more than $270. If there's a better seat for what I need, I'd love to hear it!

ADS

amyd

The first thing I'd try is a Complete Air very upright for your older DD behind DH and use the MR for the baby on the passenger side. Also if your DH is driving with his seat reclined as well as pushed back, have him try it more upright. That's safer for him and may give enough room in the back.

dubhreubel

I haven't looked at the complete air, since it has low weight limits. Chances are I won't be able to replace the seat when my DD hits 50lbs.

amyd

I haven't looked at the complete air, since it has low weight limits. Chances are I won't be able to replace the seat when my DD hits 50lbs.

How much does your daughter weigh now? Most children won't make it much past 50lbs in any convertible seat on the market (including the My Ride). And most children are around 5 when they hit 50lbs and are fine to move into a booster.

amyd

Yes, if she's light and short most convertibles will probably get her to a safe booster age (around 5 for most kids). You might want to try the True Fit as well for her. It installs quite upright RFing (although not as upright as the Complete Air). Please do give the Complete Air a try before turning her if nothing else works. There is much more safety to be gained in keeping her RFing longer than in keeping her harnessed past 50lbs.

dubhreubel

Oh I'll be trying just about anything before turning her. I really have no intention of turning her before she outgrows her MR if I can help it in just about any way.... I'm just really hoping for an option that will last as long as possible, and will keep the new baby in the middle or on the drivers side. I'm not comfortable with a newborn behind me where I can't see them.

amyd

Does the My Ride fit in the middle at the newborn recline with enough room for your DH to drive? I'm wondering if you could puzzle something else that's not on a high base (Radian maybe) beside it.

sparkyd

I'm not comfortable with a newborn behind me where I can't see them.

Would you really see the baby even if they were on the other side? I can't see anything other than one of my son's feet when I turn my head to look at him on the opposite side. And maybe a hand if it happens to be hanging out the side. ;) And he is a year old, so not even a tiny baby anymore.

dubhreubel

Would you really see the baby even if they were on the other side? I can't see anything other than one of my son's feet when I turn my head to look at him on the opposite side. And maybe a hand if it happens to be hanging out the side. ;) And he is a year old, so not even a tiny baby anymore.

lol, oddly, yes, it's really just that small of a car. I can also reach back and touch a small baby in the middle or drivers side, but not on my side.

I'll poke around and check out the complete air. If I have to have the new babe behind me, I will, but I really won't like it.

Has anybody puzzled a radian with a myride? It's significantly thinner, and rides low (iirc) and might fit in the middle with my DD staying where she is?

bbartlettnfld

My Parents have the 2000 Corolla which Dh and I have been using now and then. I have a Radian and a Monteray booster. The Radian is very difficult to install and I have never been able to get a solid install in the vehicle. I don't think I have ever tried the Radian RF in the car though.

I have had the Monteray outboard the radian center and a big me on the driver side outboard, so a Radian may work RF in the center next to the outboard MR and still have room for you.

If buying a radian for the new baby make sure you buy the Radian premier as my DS did not fit the radian at birth without the infant insert which I bought seperately for my Radian 65.

dubhreubel

bbartlettnfld thank you for mentioning that, I did not know that!

Anna, that is good to hear... One of these weekends I'm going to go around to the places that sell all these seats and figure out what actually works lol. I'm glad I can get them all locally though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC