Question Flying WestJet With Two Kids

U

Unregistered

Hi All,
I haven't been here in a long time, and I think my account went inactive, I can't log in anymore, so sorry for the anonymous post.

I am taking two trips this upcoming winter, one local, only a one hour flight within Canada on WestJet, the other will be a longer flight, 4.5 hours from Canada to Mexico. My boys are 2 years old (36" & 30lbs) and 4 (42" & 40lbs) (current sizes, likely bigger when we travel). I have a TF (not the new style), Frontier (again purchased just before the new version came out) and MyRide. The TF is my 2 year old's normal seat, and my 4 year old rides in the Frontier (harnessed).

For the domestic flight we have a rental minivan at the destination (we are there 3 days and other than driving from the airport to our condo, we will likely not be driving anywhere, but I still prefer to have our own vehicle just in case). After a horrid experience years ago with a car rental agency seat, I insist that we bring our own car seats. Last year we checked our car seats, but I am rethinking that approach this time.

For the domestic flight, I am considering taking the MyRide for my 2 year old to use on the plane and at our destination, is this an easy seat to fly with? How is it for seat belt installation? It is the smallest of my seats, so I think it would be easiest to fit on a plane and cart around.

Then for my four year old, I was considering purchasing a Turbobooster. He has not been in a booster before, and I definitely do not want to move him to one regularly, but it could double as an emergency back up seat for my 4 year old at home. If I understand correctly I can unattach the back of the seat so I can fit the whole thing easily into a hard suitcase to help keep it safe while checked. For inflight during our domestic flight, I am considering buying a CARES harness that he can use.

My biggest concern is that my 4 year old will be much happier in a window seat, while my 2 year old gets stressed out quite easily and needs to be right beside me, which means I would need to have a configuration of window - CARES - Carseat - Me - aisle. After doing some reading on these boards, I am not sure if this would be allowed. It seems like I would need to do window - Carseat - CARES - Me - aisle. Is this what will happen? Is it possible to have two car seats side by side? I am not sure that my seats will even fit side by side on a plane. The Frontier and TF are such wide seats. I also have no idea how I would ever get these two seats through the airport.

For Mexico we have been advised by numerous people that the airport shuttle can not accomodate a car seat, so not to bring one. So my plan for that flight is to have my 2 year old in the CARES, and my older son (who will be almost 5 years old at that point and likely too big for CARES), will just be in the airplane seat.

Thoughts? I have never used a car seat on a plane before, so this is new to me. I also admit, the idea of transporting two kids and one car seat (plus carry on) through the airport is very daunting to me (let alone two car seats!). I have a hard time wrangling my boys at the best of times, the idea of carrying a car seat has my head filled with all sorts of horrible situations!

Oh and my stroller is just a super lightweight little umbrella stroller. I don't think I could even balance a car seat on it without it tipping over. In fact my 2 year old is starting to really hate the stroller, so I likely would not be bringing it anyway.

Ok, enough rambling, I am stressing! Help???
Lynne

ADS

chay

Have to run but I'll try to post as much as I can.

I fly with 2 kids in 2 car seats quite a bit on WestJet. If you have a RF car seat it has to be by the window. I've always been told I have to sit between the 2 seats so I can help both if required so we do window - RF or FF kid - me - FF kid.

For getting through the airport I have a folding luggage cart and stack the 2 seats on it.

Gotta run

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply, I have spoken with a number of friends and over half of them said that they were not allowed to use their car seats on the plane. I am not sure which airlines they used, but they are all families departing from Canada (or travelling within Canada), using approved car seats, in the last 3 years, and like I said I have had at least 5 families tell me that they were told flat out no car seats allowed on the plane.

I know on the WestJet site is specifically says I can use my seat, but is each airline different?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The FAA recommends the use of carseats on board planes, there's documented proof that they work, and it's illegal in the United States for an airline to refuse to allow a parent to use a airplane certified seat for their child if they have purchased a seat. I don't believe it's illegal in Canada, but I know that there will be information in the in-flight manual of every Canadian airline allowing for their use and outlining special requirements for their use. If they say you can't use it, ask them to consult their in-flight manual and cite where it says you cannot use it. I've flown a LOT and I've never had a problem. My guess is that these parents did not purchase a seat for the child, and were told they could not use their child restraint because they did not purchase the seat?

-N.

chay

My sister and I fly a lot with our kids. We've flown Air Canada, West Jet, Porter and Sunwing in the past year and have only had one minor hassle for a paid seat. Coming back from St Lucia on Sunwing there was a lot of confusion but in the end we got them on. It probably doesn't help that no one uses car seats in St Lucia in cars (we saw infants being held while they were driving mopeds for example) so using it on a plane is just that much more bizarre.

Unpaid infants are a whole other story. Or is it possible they were trying to use a booster which isn't allowed? Or maybe their CMVSS stickers were worn off or something (some airlines actually check for them).

U

Unregistered

I know for sure at least four of the families were travelling with children over 2, so they definitely had their own seats, and I am pretty sure they didn't have boosters, most of the kids are in the 2 to 4 year old range.

Thanks for the replies, I know in the States it is illegal but I couldn't find anything about Canada.

We are off to check out the Turbobooster today to see if my son even likes it (he is pretty specific in what he likes! LOL). We may even pick up a CARES harness if we get to the right end of town.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!

Neatfreak

I flew Westjet from LAX-Edmonton and back again with a Scenera (for my 22 month-old) this month, and had no difficulties - just wanted to add another positive story for your reference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC