Another (RF) travel car seat thread...

Smillow

I have read lots of the previous travel seat threads, but still wanted advice...:whistle:

My DS is currently in a Radian XTSL RF @ 17 months and more than halfway between the 3rd (middle) slots & the 2nd (next to the top) slots - very long torso (hopefully he will slow down & add some length in his legs) est to be at least 33 inches & 27 lbs.

We will be flying in Nov (he will be 20 months then) and would like a lighter car seat that I can RF in a Honda Accord (and would really like to RF on the plane - he will have his own seat).

I posted on another site about the Safety 1st Ave on clearance @ Kmart (which I couldn't find at the closest Kmart - considering traveling to another ~ 30 miles north) but wanted to check with the experts to see if this is my best bet...

TIA!

ADS

aeormsby

We have an Uptown which is the older version of the Avenue and it makes a great travel seat. It's a good size (almost as tall as our Marathons) and very lightweight. If you get it practice installing it RF before your trip, it will most likely need a couple of pool noodles for the recline RF (we pack them in our carry on when flying). I've RF'd it on the plane a couple of times, it's pretty tight & upright and the last few flights we've just put it FF for DS even though he is still RF in the car.

Here's DS in FIL's car on a trip in March:
100_1416.JPG

And here he is FF on the plane on the same trip:
100_1058.JPG

He was about 33.5" then and is 35" now and still fits great (and proportionally he has a longer torso than legs - not sure on torso height though).

SavsMom

I picked up a $17.99 Avenue the other day - went home, strapped it to a luggage cart and am now certain it will be my primary travel seat. It is lightweight, attached nicely to a luggage cart and I think it would be fairly easy to install on a plane as well.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've had an Avenue on a plane. It's upright rear facing, but definitely doable. :) It was light and easy.

Wendy

TexasMama

I don't take my Radians at this point, either.

I know I should and have the travel bag and all (and may need to when my youngest is out of the bucket) but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my trusty old Graco CarGo attached to a standard luggage cart for my older dd's travel needs. She is in her Radian at home.

We have rented so many cars that it is sometimes a surprise what we get, so I like lugging a lighter weight/easy to install seat for travel. And that doubles as her less used seat in Daddy's car at home.

I have traveled with heavier seats and I have just found them much more cumbersome to deal with.

When our CarGo expires I will get another seat that fits those requirements.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC