Cheap Seat Recommendation

SW20 MR2

Our son is now 11 months (~20 lbs), and he'll be going to both grandmas for daycare when my wife goes back to work. Each grandma needs a car seat for their car, and I'm not too keen on spending too much money on 2 seats. We splurged on a Radian XT for our own car, but I don't wanna spend $200+ each for 2 more seats that only get used once or twice a week. It's too much a pain to remove the RXT every day, so I'd rather get something that they can leave in the car.

I've seen the Cosco Alpha Omega at Zellers for $100. Is this seat okay? Are there any other recommendations for cheap seats? Again, keep in mind that the seats will only be used once or twice a week when grandma wants to take him to the mall. Most of his travel will actually be with us in the RXT.

ADS

amyd

The newer Alpha Omegas are fine seats. Make sure you're getting the version that goes to 35lbs rear facing and 50 forward. Do keep in mind that they do not make good boosters so when that time comes you will need to purchase dedicated high back boosters for your child. At that price these seats are still a great deal, though.

If you want another option you can look at the First Years True Fit which is often on for $150 at Zellers. Some find it easier to use and install than the Coscos.

SW20 MR2

Thanks for the info. Another thing I forgot to consider earlier was that my mother-in-law may need install and remove the seat each time she uses it. What are some of the easier to install seats, particularly for a car without the latch system? I know this may force me to spend a little more.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It really depends on what she drives. The Sceneras that are on sale for $59.xx at Zellers would do the trick for your needs, as may the Alpha-Omegas... for a while, anyways. If you have a bit of time, the new Britax seats are supposed to be a fairly easy install but sometimes all the extra features do confuse grandparents. Regardless of what you get, you'll want to ensure that it's compatible with grandma's car, and she's experienced in installing it if she'll be doing so prior to driving your child...sometimes grandparents have a difficult time assessing what "tight enough" is, both with seats and when harnessing a child.

-N.

amyd

Thanks for the info. Another thing I forgot to consider earlier was that my mother-in-law may need install and remove the seat each time she uses it. What are some of the easier to install seats, particularly for a car without the latch system? I know this may force me to spend a little more.

For a car without UAS/LATCH, I'd definitely recommend something with lock-offs built into the seat. The True Fit has those, as well as some of the Britax seats.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You know, I'd actually be inclined to suggest the Evenflo Triumph. I haven't looked for a date, but I expect them to go on sale some time in the next 6 weeks due to a new model coming in that will replace it.

Regular price is $159 and it goes down to $130 on sale and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go lower than that once it's discontinued.

For a seat that will be in for a day and out for a week and just in with a seatbelt, the Triumph will do fine and have little in the way of tipping problems if just in for a day. Cars made after 1996 have seatbelts that lock and a locking clip won't be needed provided you lock the seatbelt.

Although it depends on the type and age of vehicle - if it's old enough she may need to use a locking clip anyways in which case a seat with lock-offs would really simplify things and the True Fit would be the way to go for features and price.

For a little more money (though you wouldn't get lock-offs,) the My Ride would give you a 40lb rf'ing limit and in the vehicles I've seen it in so far it doesn't need a pool noodle to be positioned at the right angle. I had it in with a locked seatbelt recently and it tilted very minimally even with multiple in/out and driving for the day. It's also a very easy to install seat.

If the seatbelts lock on their own, I wouldn't bother with lock-offs. They may be a nuisance with a seat that is in and out for basically every trip. If it was a choice between a seat with lock-offs and using a locking clip I'd choose the lock-offs. But if you won't need to use one, then it's going to be easier for her to just buckle, tighten the belt, and go without having to fuss with lock-offs.

SW20 MR2

So I'm finally getting around to actually buying something now. I'm sure you're all aware that the "old" Britax models are all on sales, and I'm considering buying one for both sets of parents due to the ease of install and lack of locking seat belts.

I was looking at the Marathon, but the Roundabout 50 looks like it might fit the bill as well. However, does the R50 have built-in lockoffs? The regular Roundabout does according to the Britax site, but it doesn't say anything on the site about the R50 having them. I find it a bit strange that it wouldn't.

canadiangie

So I'm finally getting around to actually buying something now. I'm sure you're all aware that the "old" Britax models are all on sales, and I'm considering buying one for both sets of parents due to the ease of install and lack of locking seat belts.

I was looking at the Marathon, but the Roundabout 50 looks like it might fit the bill as well. However, does the R50 have built-in lockoffs? The regular Roundabout does according to the Britax site, but it doesn't say anything on the site about the R50 having them. I find it a bit strange that it wouldn't.

Hi,

No, the Roundabout 50 (the one that is currently on sale) does not offer seatbelt lock-offs.

I must have missed it, but what does your mom/mother in law drive? Make, model and year.

The current sale price Britax seats aren't really that inexpensive in my opinion. I would still opt for something less bulky, lighter to carry (since it will be in and out of the vehicle)... and I guess in my experience a seatbelt install with a Britax seat isn't always that easy. The 'easy' factor is with UAS/LATCH which doesn't apply here because grandparents vehicles don't have UAS/LATCH, correct?

How long do you plan to keep your baby rear facing?

SW20 MR2

My MIL drives either a 2009(?) Acura EL or she sometimes rides in a mid-90s cargo van that has a bench installed (those ones typically used for deliveries, not a big cube van though). My parents drive a 2002(?) Chevy Malibu.

I plan on RFing him for as long as possible, however, I'm not too concerned if we FF him in his grandparents' cars since they'd only be going out occasionally and on short trips (ie. go to the mall that's 5 minutes away). No roadtrips or extended drives.

My parents already have a Britax Marathon in their car that's currently being used for my 4 year old niece. I assume that the belts are in too high a position for my son? My parents don't want to leave 2 child seats in the back cause then no one can sit in the back seat, which is why I've been looking for something that's removeable.

dogmelissa

I plan on RFing him for as long as possible, however, I'm not too concerned if we FF him in his grandparents' cars since they'd only be going out occasionally and on short trips (ie. go to the mall that's 5 minutes away). No roadtrips or extended drives.

My parents already have a Britax Marathon in their car that's currently being used for my 4 year old niece. I assume that the belts are in too high a position for my son? My parents don't want to leave 2 child seats in the back cause then no one can sit in the back seat, which is why I've been looking for something that's removeable.

I was going to leave this but I couldn't stop thinking about it. 7 weeks ago today we were involved in a crash that was totally unavoidable: a car travelling in the same direction, next lane over, just barely ahead of us turned across our path without looking. We were driving a large pick up truck with a slide in camper and though my husband stood on the brakes, we ended up hitting her sedan and pushing it sideways until we stopped. My then 5 month old daughter was safely strapped in to her RF seat in the back. Both my husband & I sustained grade 2 (there are 5 levels, 5 is spinal cord injury) whiplash: his is in his lower back, mine in my neck. I also injured my shoulder from the seatbelt. Our daughter also sustained grade 2 whiplash in her mid-back: due to her body being restrained but her head traveling and pulling the muscles. We were not even 3km from our house and only going 60km/h. Obviously my DD was not old enough to be FF but had she been, I have no doubt in my mind that she would have sustained a higher grade of injury. Most crashes occur close to home and sadly many crashes happen at low speeds (mall parking lots are actually very dangerous!), but even at 50 or 60km/h a FF child can sustain serious injuries. You already know this, which is why you are wanting to ERF but I would highly recommend that you consider continuing the ERF in *any* vehicle your child is in, regardless of who is driving or how far they are going.

Is your niece with your parents on the same days as your son will be? If not, perhaps they would be ok to remove her seat & install your sons? Regardless, I would recommend looking at the TrueFit for ease of install in pretty much all vehicles, fairly long RF limits, and very affordable price. I would also ask both parents if they could help pay for the seat; even $20 could help. And be sure that they understand the importance of correct install & use everytime!!! If my experience can teach anything, I hope its that crashes are not predictable.

Good luck,
Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC