The OnSide Air....with pics

BabyKaykes

I thought I'd stop by KMart today and see if they'd taken the onSide Air and Boost Air out of the box yet. The Boost Air was still unopened, but they onSide was out.

Yup, it's a well padded Scenera. BUT. I like the Scenera. And it fit my short torso'd kid - and my budget at the time. And it was easy to install RF once I knew how to work around the funny shape of the front of the base.

However, the foam, air pockets, and cover, make for one narrow seat . DS is 10" from shoulder to shoulder and I didn't like the way he had to sit in the seat, then do a bunch of adjusting to squeeze his shoulders in.

DS Stats/History:
4yrs 10mths, 42lb (fully clothed, no shoes), 41.5" tall, 13.5" torso.
He regularly rides in a Radian65. Backup is a GN, Grandma's backup is now a TB.
He outgrew RF at 3yrs 7mths, 35lb AND the 1" rule in an AOE (before we got the Radian)

Full Frontal....hehehe
Don't mind the harness straps, the paper is still attached to the seat and I couldn't take it off.
080610164759.jpg

He had 3.5" of harness left
080610165004.jpg

And a full 1" to the top slots...darn that 40lb limit! ::shakes fist::
080610164846.jpg

080610164906.jpg

The seat in full recline
080610165111.jpg

080610165052.jpg

There is only .5" of space there
080610165224.jpg

Super short crotch strap. I had to take DS out of the seat to really look, but the crotch of his jeans was about halfway between the middle and most forward slot. But I REALLY had to dig for the crotch strap, and when I finally got it buckled, I think I pinched him a little in the thigh. Glad he wasn't wearing shorts.
080610164938.jpg

Overall impressions? Meh. I liked the Scenera. I LOVED my Uptown, and that seat is it NOT! But it's an ok choice if you want a cheaper seat with padding, I guess. Or if you're not too seat savvy. Although I might even chose the Titan over this if I didn't know any better, I mean, it goes to 50lb, right!?

Side note: As I was putting it back on the shelf a couple walks by with a little girl who doesn't look a day over 1year old. They're eye-balling the Air seats and the woman kept saying, "but this one goes to 100lb!" To which Dad would reply, "but she's not even 30lb yet. It says minimum 30lb." DS finally walks over and points to the Boost Air and says, "THIS seat is for big boys like me, not little babies. Buy THIS one (the OnSide) and make her sit backwards like a baby."

Oh, I could have cried tears of joy! LOL. We laughed and dad said thanks. I took that quick moment to point out that he was right and quickly explained ERF. As I strapped DS in the car I saw them come out of the store with the pink Scenera...works for me!

ADS

NannyMom

Does it seem narrower than the Uptown? I hated how narrow that was.

And good for DS :thumbsup:

Maedze

FYI, that's not how you measure for rear facing head room. The ruler should be parallel to the top of his head, not an angle to it. Looks like he has a good 2" of clearance there....he would still fit by height rear facing! Great pictures. Did you happen to peak under the cover at the 'air bags'?

BabyKaykes

FYI, that's not how you measure for rear facing head room. The ruler should be parallel to the top of his head, not an angle to it. Looks like he has a good 2" of clearance there....he would still fit by height rear facing! Great pictures. Did you happen to peak under the cover at the 'air bags'?

I'm confused...Based on
showthread.php
thread, I don't see how the measurement is off. :confused: Even just eye-balling it, I could tell it was outgrown RF right away.

Does it seem narrower than the Uptown? I hated how narrow that was.

It's probably about the same. I sold mine to Andie. So DS was a lot smaller when he was in it.

these seats have no eps foam, correct?

no, but between the little air bags and the padded cover, i don't think it would be missed unless that's really important too you.

I know the Scenera generally fits newborns good. I think if Dorel came up with an infant insert for the seat, it could be a contender to skip the bucket.

Evolily

I'm confused...Based on
showthread.php
thread, I don't see how the measurement is off. :confused: Even just eye-balling it, I could tell it was outgrown RF right away.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

I agree, it looks like he has more that .5 above his head, but that just might be how he's holding his head in the picture. You would have to put the flat edge against his head to measure from, rather than trying to measure from the top of the shell.

Maedze

I'm confused...Based on
showthread.php

The ruler needs to be at a right angle to the back of the seat and parallel to his head. You've got it at a serious angle. I'm going to steal your picture and show you in my next post :)

Maedze

There ya go. The Red line is where you measure the top of the shell. THe Blue line is where his head is. The green line is approximately the 1" mark.....so you've got 1" of torso growth left. He fits rearfacing by height with room to grow :)

(Also, I know the new Scenera 40s have eliminated the 1" room in favor of 'even with the top of the shell'. This seat may have the same rule, in which case he'd outgrow it at the red line, not the green.)

Mags462

There ya go. The Red line is where you measure the top of the shell. THe Blue line is where his head is. The green line is approximately the 1" mark.....so you've got 1" of torso growth left. He fits rearfacing by height with room to grow :)

(Also, I know the new Scenera 40s have eliminated the 1" room in favor of 'even with the top of the shell'. This seat may have the same rule, in which case he'd outgrow it at the red line, not the green.)

That is an AWESOME picture.... my kids are no where near outgrowing their TF's but i always sort of wondered how to "correctly" measure, and i had read the previous threads but was still a little unclear .... this illustration has made things crystal clear.

And OP thanks for the pics.... I think I'll stick to a Scenera for a back up, I've got lightweights :)

TerisBoys

Plus with the seat on the floor, he's at a full 45deg recline. I imagine once it was installed/more upright he'd gain more room. Gravity tends to help with that.

BabyKaykes

Wow, thanks! That's good to know.

Too bad he's maxed out every limit on this seat, though...I hope my next kid has this small of a torso...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC