Is this HH okay?

dragonfly8

This is my 4.5 year old in his radian, the straps are right at his shoulder's, maybe a smidge below, it's hard to tell (even with a knife in the slot). But the next slots are so high up.
What should I do? Leave them or move them up (I think there will be too much of a gap if I move them)

ADS

ctbcleveland

They look too low to me for a FF only child - but how does it look after you drive? My kid slouches immediately, so his body is always lower than it first looks.

Not sure if you know this, but there is a new chest clip (gray) for the radian - it will spread those straps out quite a bit away from his neck. It might not be a big deal once you move the straps up, but right now they look like they are digging in his neck.

Not a safety issue, just a comfort issue.

dragonfly8

They look too low to me for a FF only child - but how does it look after you drive? My kid slouches immediately, so his body is always lower than it first looks.

Not sure if you know this, but there is a new chest clip (gray) for the radian - it will spread those straps out quite a bit away from his neck. It might not be a big deal once you move the straps up, but right now they look like they are digging in his neck.

Not a safety issue, just a comfort issue.

You know, they don't usually dig in like that. I'm not sure why they are all of a sudden right now.

I think I"m going to put him in it now and take another pic, just to make sure where the straps are.

dragonfly8

OK, I took a few more pics as level as I could. The first set, the car seat was on a kitchen chair, these new ones are actually installed in the vehicle. They give a different angle I find when in the car. It's either I leave them as is at his shoulder, or move them up, leaving a 2" (or at least eyeballing it, it looks like 2) gap.
Which is safer?

I know there is a bit of slack on the one strap, I did that myself while I was removing the shoulder pad......then tightened it back up afterwards;)

And looking at the last picture, I should have kept the shoulder pad off, the seam gives it the smallest big of added bulk to the picture.

Last edited:

NVMBR02

I'd move them up. It will look odd to you at first when they are higher but they wont be unsafe.

Last edited:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yes move them up.
The reason it looks like a 2 inch gap is because...it is, in fact, a 2 inch gap.:)
Any time you have a child who is just barely over one set of slots, you are going to be in the position where the next slot up is quite far over their shoulders. Totally okay. If it really, really bothers you, you can try a seat like the evenflo triumph adv/65 or momentum 65 which has an infinite slide harness that you can adjust to always be right AT your childs shoulders.
Another option is to buy a seat where the harness slots themselves are simply set closer together. For example, the harness height slots on the frontier are very close together, less than an inch apart, so the harness is never more than about a half inch above the childs shoulders.

It's truly not a safety concern though. Promise. ;)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That 2" isn't a concern as long as the harness is tight. Move it up, and you'll see that your child is still nice and secure.

-Nicole.

dragonfly8

I moved them up and.........
they actually look much better. It's funny how they can look and be safe one day, it's like he grew overnight!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC