what is the safest seat for a one year old to sit FF in?

Maedze

If the trouble is that they cannot see the child in the rear facing seat, I'd suggest a mirror before I'd turn a brand new one year old forward facing.

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Do I need a radian xtsl? They are 300 with 20 percent off at albeebaby and eitecarseats. That's like 240 is that pretty good?

Just wanted to add that if you do decide to order a Radian, I would strongly steer you away from the XT. When the headwings are in the lower position, it pushes the fabric down and bunches a little, enough so that it pushes the childs head forward.

ntrenary

It's a German/European brand, that uses a special foam shield instead of a harness to restrain the child. It leads to less strain on the neck in case of a crash than a harness, which is why I'd prefer it if one of my children HAD to forward-face so young. Here's a video with animation: YouTube- Kiddy Carseat best safety protection System

Wow, that's a cool seat! I wish they made something like that here in the US.
But, isn't that like the shield boosters that were recalled awhile back?

That would be a awesome seat for my mom and sister who can't figure out how to use a regular car seat no matter how many times I explain it to them.

ETA: never mind. I just searched the board for this seat and I understand how it's not like the old shield boosters.
Now I really want one!

Last edited:

Splash

I, too, would use a Kiddy booster over a FF harnessed seat for a child that age. Regardless of the legalities.
That said, I think a FF BV is the best for her right now for a few reasons.
1) A rip-stop tether with incremental release, lessens the "fly forward and stop abruptly" motion.
2) Slightly reclined when FF will still be comfortable for her and okay for sleeping.
3) SIP wings which *I* personally believe offer a fairly substantial safety advantage. The BIG difference in crash results for a FF vs RF seat are in side impacts, NOT frontal impacts.
4) Very well padded and comfy, if she is comfortable she's got one less thing to scream about.
5) Infinite adjust harness so you can keep the straps exactly *at* her shoulders at all times.

So, if I were FF a child that age in a legal US seat, a BV would be in my top three.

And while we always encourage ERF as it really is the safest way to travel, remember that the overwhelming majority of children in this country are FF at or even before a year, most of them poorly restrained otherwise, and yet for all the miles driven and wrecks that happen, the injury and fatality rate is still pretty low. You are putting her in a very safe, well made seat and will be, no doubt, correctly installing and using the seat at all times. Maintain your vehicle well and try to keep it at a reasonable speed, and you've done your best to keep her safe. Sometimes best practice isn't possible, and I'm certain that since you're here asking the questions you are, you've made an educated decision and with what you know about your situation are making the safest decision for your daughter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC