Rear-facing Radian 65 weight limits-confused

jackieeng

The radian 65 manual states: use only in rear-facing position with any infant weighing less than 22lbs.
And then it states: Maximum child weights: rear-facing 33lbs.
?huh? I don't get it...

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
It is confusing the way it's worded, but let me try to clarify for you.

It means you MUST NOT use it forward facing for any child under 22 pounds, therefore it must ONLY be used rear facing up to 22 pounds, it MAY be used forward facing after that and it MAY be used rear facing until 33 pounds.

trailrunnermom

It sounds like it means: When you have a baby (regardless of age) who weighs less than 22 lbs, you must use the Radian rear-facing. They don't want a baby less than 22 lbs to be forward-facing at all.

Then the baby/child can continue to ride rear-facing to 33 lbs (or you have the option of letting them FF after 22 lbs and 1 year, but of course, if you're on this board, you wouldn't take that option!) :)

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
It is saying that any infant weighing less than 22 lbs needs to be RFing in this seat..and then it is saying that you can rearface up to 33 lbs...22 is the minimum and 33 is the max...:) hth

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How do you measure the torso? From their butt(seat) to head?

Bum to shoulders...so you know where their shoulders are in relation to the harness slots. Even my skiiiiiny tallish dd was no where near too tall for her Marathon when she hit 33 pounds at age 4.5, and the Radian is even taller, so no worries about outgrowing it RF by height.

:)

jackieeng

I doubt it. You'd have to have a 16+" torso to outgrow it rfing.

OK...silly question (?)
My 2.5 yr old is under 33lbs and her torso measures approx. 13", does that mean she could potentially remain RF?
(measured shoulder to top of bum when she's sitting?)

I would think her legs would be bent, and can't be safe if there was an accident. I was just wondering...
I've never seen a child that old rear facing...
What should I do?

arly1983

The legs being bent wouldn't be a problem. No child is too "old" to be RF. They either weight to much or are too tall. Every child is safer riding RF regardless of age. Even you would be safer riding RF.

CandCfam

Bent legs are not a hazard. There are NO reported injuries from a child having too long of legs when RF.
Yes, your DD could definitely RF, so long as her weight is w/in the limit of the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
OK...silly question (?)
My 2.5 yr old is under 33lbs and her torso measures approx. 13", does that mean she could potentially remain RF?
(measured shoulder to top of bum when she's sitting?)

I would think her legs would be bent, and can't be safe if there was an accident. I was just wondering...
I've never seen a child that old rear facing...
What should I do?
I bought the Marathon *just* so I could put my 29 pound 3 year old rearfacing, and she fit RF till 4.5 happily.

The Radian can be a considerably more difficult seat to install, but the safety benefits are worth it (we'll walk you through install issues if you can't find a good tech in real life to help)

:)

jackieeng

I feel enlightened...
My cousin has her 18 month old in a RF seat and I thought she was just being neurotic! Shame on me :(
I' am soooo glad I found these boards.

Why don't we, as parents and consumers, know this information?
Why don't car seat manufacturers make this info better known?
Why do we have to search for this information?

I would never have known any of this if I hadn't initially asked a general car seat question and been lead to this site...

I'm arguing with my husband right now about this RFing issue b/c he can't understand why 'we' as consumers don't know this already. He can't see what the deal is and that DD is fine FFing. Everyone turns their child around at 1 year, right?...

Thanks ALL...
I'm passing this site on to everyone I know...

skaterbabs

These pictures show why RF is so important:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=44503&mesg_id=44503&page

It's not well known for many reason - some (a few) practical, many (too many) political. When my eldest was a baby, there were no seats that RF past 20 lbs, period. Not in the US. So babies had to be turned at 20 lbs regardless. Then they started saying 12 mos OR twenty lbs, whichever came first. Still babies died. Then they started saying 12 mos AND 20 lbs. There are fewer deaths now, but still too many since it's well known (in the medical community) that the spinal column doesn't fuse until 3-6 years of age. Unfortunately there's still this myth that muscle strength makes a diffrence. :(

www.cpsafety.com has lots of great RF information.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC