suv w/ 3rd row

melann

Looking for a mid-size or full size suv with a 3rd row that has the following features. Preferably a mid-size but would like to know full size options as well. Does one exist?

-easy access to 3rd row
-safe distance between 3rd row and hitch
-headrests and shoulder belts in middle seats in 2nd (if bench seat) and 3rd rows
-top tether anchors in the 3rd row seats
-good crash-testing

Thank you for your suggestions.

ADS

kristy121

Ford explorer? I dont know what the crash ratings are safety wise but the 3rd row is somewhat easy to get to if you fold down one of the 2nd row seats. it has all your other requirments

melann

Any other suggestions? My DH is not a big Ford fan.

Looking for a mid-size or full size suv with a 3rd row that has the following features. Preferably a mid-size but would like to know full size options as well. Does one exist?

-easy access to 3rd row
-safe distance between 3rd row and hitch
-headrests and shoulder belts in middle seats in 2nd (if bench seat) and 3rd rows
-top tether anchors in the 3rd row seats
-good crash-testing

Thank you for your suggestions.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Full sized wise I would suggest a Toyota Sequoia or a Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL. But you won't get three tethers across the rear row but you will get one. The Sequoia has a middle headrest in the third row where the Suburban/Yukon does not.

With both of these options you can get middle row captains chairs which make for the easiest access to the third row.

I can not think of one SUV that will have easy access to the third row AND a bunch of tether back there. The SUVs with tethers in the third row don't offer middle row captains seats and the ones that do offer them only offer one tether in the third row.:confused:

kanga

How is access to the 3rd row? And does the 3rd row have headrests? It does not appear from a picture that I am looking at that there are headrests in the 3rd row.

It does have headrests, they puzzle in so it has a clean line. The second row middle seat appears to have no headrest, but it also does. There is a tad less room than an odyssey when considering access space. My two older dds get back there no problem, no stepping on seats. :thumbsup:

lovemyfamily

The Suburban/Yukon XL has a large amount of distance between the rear seat and the back of the vehicle, I have one and I LOVE that space for cargo, as well as a feeling my kids are not up against the back glass. I have a bench seat in the middle row, and I keep the passenger side part of that seat folded flat, for my 2 oldest boys to access the 3rd row. Then if I need that seat, I just fold it up. I have my 2 youngest in the middle row. I have a 2001, so I don't have the head rests in the middle seats, and I have 1 tether anchor for a FF seat in the 3rd row.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Yeah I can fit anything behind the third row of my Yukon XL....just last week I had a wagon and two bikes back there.:thumbsup:

Melanie

3rd row access will depend on a lot of things. How many kids, how many in car seats, can you get by with 6 pass vehicle? Who is riding in the third row? Several SUVs are available with captain's chairs in 2nd row. Kids could walk down the isle, but I don't think you'd want adults doing it on a regular basis. It sounds goofy, but loading the third row kids from the hatch works pretty well. Especially if there's just 1 rider there and you leave 1/2 of the 3rd row folded over.

We just replaced my minivan and did a LOT of SUV shopping. Like a lot of people, I don't need the serious towing or off road capacities of an SUV, just the people hauling capabilities.

I know you said your husband doesn't like Ford. Is it a mild dislike-like if he was blown away he'd buy one? Or is it an absolute no-go? We wound up with a Ford Flex and I really love it. My last Ford experience was in the early 90s when they were horrid. It was really hard for me to buy Ford again. It's lower than an SUV-easy for kids to climb in themselves. Seating is FLEXible. I frequently have 4 car seats in it and have done all kids of different configurations. It has a lot of cargo room for this size vehicle-it has a well in the cargo area like a minivan. The basic model comes very loaded. It has lots of techy stuff. Sync is very neat. It's also top 3% for safety in 2010. I'm happy with gas mileage-does better than my old van. 18-20 in town and up to 25 highway. It has 3 top tether anchors 2nd row (bench) and 1 in third row. I just received a brochure on the new Explorer. It's been seriously redesigned and looks very nice on the outside. It reminds me of a cross between a Range Rover and a Toyota FJ.

Honda Pilot. it has top tether anchors on all 6 rear seating areas. The redesign in 09 gains a little more cargo space.

Here's some that you probably don't want:

Hondai (sp?) Veracruz - no top tethers in third row so not good for FF careats

Mazda 9 - not top tethers in third row

Chevy Traverse and clones - no head rests in middle of 2nd row or 3rd row

Toyota Hylander - 3rd row is very small

The Suburban/Yukons were out of our price range so I didn't even look at them. They would give you cargo room. Do they have middle headrests?

melann

3rd row access will depend on a lot of things. How many kids, how many in car seats, can you get by with 6 pass vehicle? Who is riding in the third row? Several SUVs are available with captain's chairs in 2nd row. Kids could walk down the isle, but I don't think you'd want adults doing it on a regular basis. It sounds goofy, but loading the third row kids from the hatch works pretty well. Especially if there's just 1 rider there and you leave 1/2 of the 3rd row folded over.

We just replaced my minivan and did a LOT of SUV shopping. Like a lot of people, I don't need the serious towing or off road capacities of an SUV, just the people hauling capabilities.

I know you said your husband doesn't like Ford. Is it a mild dislike-like if he was blown away he'd buy one? Or is it an absolute no-go? We wound up with a Ford Flex and I really love it. My last Ford experience was in the early 90s when they were horrid. It was really hard for me to buy Ford again. It's lower than an SUV-easy for kids to climb in themselves. Seating is FLEXible. I frequently have 4 car seats in it and have done all kids of different configurations. It has a lot of cargo room for this size vehicle-it has a well in the cargo area like a minivan. The basic model comes very loaded. It has lots of techy stuff. Sync is very neat. It's also top 3% for safety in 2010. I'm happy with gas mileage-does better than my old van. 18-20 in town and up to 25 highway. It has 3 top tether anchors 2nd row (bench) and 1 in third row. I just received a brochure on the new Explorer. It's been seriously redesigned and looks very nice on the outside. It reminds me of a cross between a Range Rover and a Toyota FJ.

Honda Pilot. it has top tether anchors on all 6 rear seating areas. The redesign in 09 gains a little more cargo space.

Here's some that you probably don't want:

Hondai (sp?) Veracruz - no top tethers in third row so not good for FF careats

Mazda 9 - not top tethers in third row

Chevy Traverse and clones - no head rests in middle of 2nd row or 3rd row

Toyota Hylander - 3rd row is very small

The Suburban/Yukons were out of our price range so I didn't even look at them. They would give you cargo room. Do they have middle headrests?

What about the Volvo XC90, Acadia, or Toyota Sequoia?

Melanie

What about the Volvo XC90, Acadia, or Toyota Sequoia?

The Volvo and Sequoia (new) were both out of my price range so I didn't even look at them in person. Didn't want to fall in love with something I couldn't have. The Acadia is the GM version of the Chevy Traverse. Buick makes a version but I don't remember what it's called. The main things are all the same in them.

Nissan Pathfinder had teeny back seat. Nissan Armada was a little more than we wanted to spend and the gas mileage isn't very good. I've been told it's nice and roomy.

The Mercedes 3rd row vehicle seems to be nice. I believe it's the "R" class. 3 rows of captains chairs so seats 6. IIRC, a member here has one in a diesel and it gets insanely good gas mileage for that size vehicle.

Cathy

We just bought a new Sequoia last month. I love it!

I haven't tried installing a carseat in the third row yet. The deciding factor for me was being able to install three seats with LATCH in the middle row. And the seats are big enough that I could use any carseat I wanted.

The third row was a bonus for us. It'll come in handy when we have company. Otherwise we leave it down for the extra cargo room.

luckyclov

The 3rd row of the Pathfinder is a joke, so just as an FYI, I wouldn't even consider that. It's also a complete PITA to get to from the 2nd row, especially if car seats/boosters are involved in the mix.

The same goes for the Jeep Commander.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC