Maturity required for RSTV to be safe?

T.O. Twins

Last week we went on a vacation and my just-turned-4 year old twins used the Ride Safer Travel Vests for the first time. We found that 95% of the time the girls were leaning way to the side (to be closer together) or slouching way down (as in, almost lying on the seat). We told them over and over again to sit up straight, but they just wouldn't stay that way. For part of the time (when we were in our own rental car) we used the tethers in addition to the shoulder and lap belt, and that may have helped a bit with the slouching, but they would still lean to the side even when tethered.

Are my kids just not mature enough to wear the vests since they refuse to sit up straight?

Would locking the seat belt be a safe way to fix these problems?

We're about to take another plane-travel trip with a lot of driving involved (3 hrs. between the airport and our hotel and then several hour long rides once we're there). It would be SO much easier to take the vests than our Radians (we'll have to schlep them through the airports, on two planes each way, make them fit in a rental car, and then re-install them when we get back to our car at the airport), however, I'm worried about how safe the vests actually are for my girls given how they act in them.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

ADS

Maedze

You should use the top-tethers when they are available. They reduce head excursion and cause the seat to act more like a five point harness.

You can also lock the belt to remind them to sit correctly.

The vest is not like a booster. It divides the forces of a crash over the entire upper torso. If they lean slightly to the right or the left the seat will still be safe for them. But do use the tethers :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I do NOT recommend locking the belt on the RSTV. Makes it VERY hard to get the kid out.

The shoulder belt should be locked off anyway by proper use of the vest. If they could lean and slouch, it sounds like either the belt was not tight enough before being locked into position, or the vests are too big for them. When I put a child in the RSTV they scootch all the way back on the seat, get buckled, get tightened, and once that belt is locked into place in the shoulder guide, cannot move, because the belts are holding them so firmly in place, they are VERY contained.

The tether reduces head excursion more but it does not cause the vest to act more like a 5 point harness. The vest always functions pretty much the same, as long as it's used properly. :)

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
The shoulder belt should be locked off anyway by proper use of the vest. If they could lean and slouch, it sounds like either the belt was not tight enough before being locked into position, or the vests are too big for them. When I put a child in the RSTV they scootch all the way back on the seat, get buckled, get tightened, and once that belt is locked into place in the shoulder guide, cannot move, because the belts are holding them so firmly in place, they are VERY contained.

Do you have an old or new style? I have the new one and the guides are wide enough to allow the belt to slide freely through.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have an old style. From pictures I've seen though, the guide at the top functions much the same way, does it not? If not, I'll no longer be recommending it for 3 year olds.

Looking over the new-style instructions again, it seems like it should still be possible to get it secure with the new-style guide. You still need to pinch the belt to get it in.

T.O. Twins

We have the new style one, too. The belt does seem to slide freely through the shoulder guide. The girls were always buckled in sitting properly all scooched back in their seats and then they slid down. There was so much play in the belt that I was imagining they would be knocked pretty far sideways if the event of a side impact collision.

Maedze

No, the new style allows the belt to move pretty freely.

I do not think it's that big of a deal to lock the belt. We do it and it really isn't that annoying. Yes, you have to rethread it after, but I do that anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, no longer recommending this for children who are 3 then! :eek: Every time I've read the manual, I can't see that the belt is supposed to slide freely. If it is, then this is not an appropriate choice for kids who won't sit still in it, I guess. What if you're in a car with locking latch plates instead?

Athena

We are planning to use this with our DD next month and I am feeling really nervous now. She will be barely 4 yo. :( Any thoughts or advice?

DahliaRW

Really, with the top tether properly tightened they cannot move (slouch wise) in it much at all. ANd leaning to the side a bit doesn't bother me because the vest is such the belt stays properly positioned. So as long as you keep them from slouching, I wouldn't sweat it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC