Thinking of buying the Baby Trend EZ-Flex Loc

The_Animal

I noticed that the Baby Trend EZ-Flex Loc is supposed to be available in Canada and was planning to grab the Navigator Dual Jogging stroller as I have one toddler and another infant on the way in August. 1 can use the stroller as is and I can attach a car seat to the other side

I currently am looking for a car-seat that I can use in the 1986 GMC Sierra that I have as well as the Baby Trend Navigator double jogging stroller and was thinking that the Baby Trend EZ Flex Loc was something that would fit the bill. :eek: However after seeing a Baby Trend Recall notice stating that Transport Canada was not certifying the Baby Trend Flex Loc (I presume the EZ Flex Loc is the answer to Transport Canada's ruling (with amended straps and connectors)) I am leery of buying that brand. The stroller is fine and dandy...but if I have to take my infant anywhere in the truck; then I'm pretty much hosed with regards to having to buy another baby car-seat strictly for use in the truck. Problem is, I have 4 kids and a wife...and thus one parent has to stay home with the other three kids...while I take the other one (whether it be infant/toddler or school-age RUGRATS) to whereever they need to go.

The recall was for carseats bought from a Baby Zone that imported straps and connectors from the US in 2008 or 2009. But I'm wondering if the whole carseat issue has been resolved and whether Baby Trend has finally managed to get Transport Canada approval on their latest carseats?

ADS

mommycat

Hello, and welcome!

Ok, repeat after me: "Recalls are not a bad thing."

Every manufacturer will have some recalls at one time or another. Recalls are a sign of the system workign to catch things that need to be fixed as opposed to getting swept under the rug. Unless you see mass recalls for a brand, especially on the same features, etc or hear that the company is handling recalls badly then I wouldn't hold it against the brand. If you did, you would have to stay home because no manufacturer wil have a spotless record.

Even more good news... is this the recall?
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=24170
This just means that the Baby Zone store was bringing in US-market seats into Canada. US seats cannot be used in Canada, only Canadian-market seats with the National Safety Mark (round maple leaf sticker with CMVSS #s on it) are legal in Canada. It was not an indication of there being a structural problem with the seats.

You should be able to find the Flex Loc. I think Walmart carries it, and TRU/BRU carries it:
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3788827&prodFindSrc=search

On the other hand, I would also look at this for some user "reviews":
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=29100
It seems that while it is narrow, easy to install with UAS/LATCH, etc, it is apparently NOT so easy to install with a seatbelt (this would be your '86 Sierra right?), it needs the handle down in the vehicle (taking up more front/back room) and then you have the 22lb limit. Depending on the size of your kids as babies, I might look at a 30+lb seat like the SnugRide32 or SnugRide 35 (used to be the SS1, Safe Seat step 1), whatever is out there now. It would allow you to continue to use the bucket longer which is nice when coralling a number of kids, and the base has a built-in lock-off, making non-UAS installs SO SO EASY. However, if your babies start out tiny, this is not the best seat, and of course, it would mean re-visiting the stroller choice.

Good luck with your shopping, and of course, the new baby!

The_Animal

Hello, and welcome!

Ok, repeat after me: "Recalls are not a bad thing."

Recalls are not a bad thing... :D

You should be able to find the Flex Loc. I think Walmart carries it, and

On the other hand, I would also look at this for some user "reviews":
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=29100
It seems that while it is narrow, easy to install with UAS/LATCH, etc, it is apparently NOT so easy to install with a seatbelt (this would be your '86 Sierra right?), it needs the handle down in the vehicle (taking up more front/back room) and then you have the 22lb limit. Depending on the size of your kids as babies, I might look at a 30+lb seat like the SnugRide32 or SnugRide 35 (used to be the SS1, Safe Seat step 1), whatever is out there now. It would allow you to continue to use the bucket longer which is nice when coralling a number of kids, and the base has a built-in lock-off, making non-UAS installs SO SO EASY. However, if your babies start out tiny, this is not the best seat, and of course, it would mean re-visiting the stroller choice.

Good luck with your shopping, and of course, the new baby!

Thanks, Cat, for the detailed information.

I have a Dorel car seat that my late father bought (before he passed away) that was used on my sons in pristine condition) for when the youngest gets past the 22 pound stage but unfortunately it's a front facing carseat and not suitable for an infant. And, frankly, at kid # 4...I think that's the last one my wife and I are ever going to have. :D I think I may still be able to use the Eddie Bauer though it's getting up there...rounding 6 years as of this year. And the Dorel is still useable. Now the '86 Sierra was also my dad's and I'm actually looking at getting a family vehicle...probably a minivan(one where I can take all my entire family instead of one at a time).

mommycat

A minivan does seem to make sense for a family of 6. :)

Do you mind listing what seats you currently have and when they expire? As well as the ages and weights/heights of the kids? We can help play musical carseats and figure out a plan for who get s what and when to minimize costs. Eddie Bauer is actually Dorel as well. ;) The Dorel 3in1 and combo seats tend to make pretty poor-fitting, short boosters, when thinking of your older kids. Depending on the model, a 6yo Dorel seat may already be expired (the 3in1s are usually 8yrs).

One more thing I want to impress, and if you read around the board you will see lots of info here: you absolutely, positively WANT and NEED to RF well past the 22lb+1yo mimimum. It is drastically safer and is the single most effective improvement in safety when looking at seat choices. A bare minimum to aim for is 2yo. Transport Canada recommends RF "to the limits of the convertible seat". Even if you get a 30lb bucket, it will likely be outgrown by height too early (DS2 outgrew the SS1 by height ~18mo, at well under the 30lbs limit, I think 24lbs?). You want to take a good look at the seats you have and plan accordingly.

Here is some starter info on the importance of RF past the minimums:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube- Rear facing is safer[/ame]
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://www.joelsjourney.org/
And this on waiting long enough to booster for good measure...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04"]YouTube- The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Belle's Gift[/ame]

Kat_Shoshin

I have not tried the baby trend flex loc myself - but I did notice that although the handle has to be down - it is still small front to back as it tucks under nicely.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have not tried the baby trend flex loc myself - but I did notice that although the handle has to be down - it is still small front to back as it tucks under nicely.

Yes, it doesn't take up extra room like an evenflo, and has no clearance rule about the handle. It's also a narrow seat and puzzles nicely.

You definitely want to try it before you buy it though - while UAS installs aren't bad, seatbelt installs are a challenge in some vehicles - it will depend on how far apart the buckle and the seatbelt anchorage point are, and how far forward of the seat crease the buckle sits.

canadiangie

I have only come across two so far. Both were being transitioned out of already as babies were going into convertibles. The feedback I rec'd was mediocre. Something like "not bad, the price was right, the handle was a pain". So nothing over the top, but no rave reviews, either.

And I have to say the UAS connectors remind me of meat hooks.

canmom

Keep in mind the release to get the seat off of the base is located at the babes feet... it can be quite buried in the vehicles seat. Honestly, that was enough to turn me off it :twocents:.

finn

We had one when ds was a baby, i really liked it but was a total car seat novice & didnt ever put the handle down :( I got a great install with seat belt (as we didnt have latch), ds fit in it till 6 months & he is in the 85% for height. The release was never a problem & it didnt ever get sticky. I would buy one again if I needed it for a tight 3 across.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC