Need help choosing a nice car seat!

stallon9

Hi,

We are expecting our first baby girl end-of-July. I have purchased 'First Years Wave Stroller'. It comes with universal adapter. I am interested in 'Combi Coccoro'. It simply looks beautiful.

Thing that I can not figure out is

1. Is it for new born? We will be bringing baby from Hospital? Manufacturer websites states convertible seat but further description states seat for infant using some sort of padding!
2. Will it fit 'First Years Wave Stroller' stroller? what type of strollers used by other parents for this car seat?
3. Can infant be comfortable in this seat for long time?
4. Does the base stays in car permanently?

I have BMW X3 so I think seat size is not really a factor but I prefer small/light/compact seat without sacrificing the safety of a child.

Thanks for taking time to read and reply!

RJ

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi RJ.

The Coccoro fits newborns well, but it's not an infant seat, it's a convertible. You'd have to reinstall it every time you put it back in the car. Not something I'd recommend doing several times a day.

If you want an infant seat I'd look at a Graco Snugride35, Chicco Keyfit, and the Safety 1st onBoard 35. Bring your stroller to make sure they fit.

Know that you cannot use LATCH in the center of your X3, so if you put your baby girl there you need to use the seatbelt.

If you're fine with simply removing your daughter from the carseat and carrying her, then a Coccoro would be great for you. But removing it and reinstalling it every time can lead to an unsafe installation. Every time you install the seat there's a small margin for error. Install the seat five times a day rather than once a year, and you can see how bigger that little margin for error gets.

The Coccoro will have its own stroller, the Flash, which I don't think is quite out yet. I think it's a great combination for city dwellers, who rarely use a car, but want something that lasts longer than an infant seat. But for the rest of us who are in our car day in and day out, I wouldn't use the Coccoro as an infant seat. I'd get an infant seat if I wanted to leave the baby in a carseat and remove it from the car.

Wendy

Spam

The flash is available. Nat posted pics of it with her cco. As wendy mentioned it is a convertible, if you want to be able to use the wave stroller with a seat, I'd look at a regular infant seat. The keyfit is adored by many here as well as the snugride 35 and onboard air 35.

stallon9

Thanks, will check out the suggestions. I keep hearing from my friends that Britax seats are the most comfortable for baby to sleep. I tend to think every baby sleeping habits are different so not necessarily true. Am I right in my thinking?

Also any recommendations on light weight car seat for new born that fits First Years Wave stroller? My wife is petite so I am trying to keep the weight as low as possible!

How is 'The First Years Via I450 Infant Carseat, Urban Life' , Does it fit directly on to Wave stroller without using any adapter?

Thanks

RJ

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Some people like Britax seats and some don't, but in any case, the convertibles are not suitable for newborns.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My son sleeps fine in any of his carseats....and not one is or has been a Britax.

He's in a Cosco Scenera at day care. I have a Graco MyRide65 in my car and a First Yrs True Fit Primiere in my husband's car. His infant seat was a Chicco Key Fit 22.

It sounds like you want an infant seat...the kind with a handle and a base.

Some you can leave the handle up, some you MUST leave the handle up, and some the handle MUST be down. Personally, I prefer the seats that give you the option of leaving the handle up or down. With my Chicco seat, I could leave the handle in any of the 3 locked positions in the car. With the Graco seats, there are some positions that are approved for in the car and some that are forbidden. Evenflo, Peg Perego and Baby Trend require the handle to be down. Cosco/Safety1st/Eddie Bauer allow the handle to be up or down....not sure if they have specific positions that are ok or not though. That's most of the big brands you'll find in BRU, I believe.

It's just another peice to consider.

Susan

Angela

The Via does work in the Wave. It doesn't look like you'd really need an infant seat to put on that stroller since it would work VERY well with small infants (looks like an awesome stroller!). But it does sound like an infant carrier is what you're looking for. I don't know very much about the Via, but I'm sure someone else can chime in about that.

kidzndogz

Hi RJ!

Not sure if you are familiar with different types of car seats, but just in case, the two that have been brought up in this thread are:

Infant seat: This is a bucket type seat that can be taken in and out of the car and snapped to a stroller. It has a base that stays in the car at all times. Depending on the manufacturer it can hold babies up to 22-35lbs, or until their head is within one inch of the top of the seat (whichever comes first).

Convertible seat: This is a car seat that stays installed in your vehicle, and you take the child in and out of it. It can be used rear facing AND forward facing. We recommend keeping the child rear facing until the rear facing limits of the car seat, which is often until 2, 3, or sometimes 4 years old!

The Coccoro is a convertible seat that is small, lightweight, and compact. It fits newborns beautifully and is a cute little seat. However, it's downside is that since it is small, it doesn't last kids as long as other convertibles. If you are okay buying another one in a few years, then it's a great seat to have.

I glanced at the instruction manual for the stroller you bought on their website and it fits the First Years Via seat, and also comes with a universal adapter that fits Graco and Chicco seats. This means you can purchase a Graco SnugRide 35 or a Chicco Keyfit 30 and have them fit in the stroller if you are preferring an infant seat. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC