How To Measure Angle on RFing Seat?

Chely7425

I have my 1 year old in a Complete Air, installed behind the passenger seat. I know since he is older I can have the seat at a 30 or 35 degree angle, and I think it is closer to 45. If I could install it just a tad more upright that would REALLY help the passenger seat be more comfortable to ride in. How exactly do I measure the angle? I have a level app on my iPhone, would I place it on the part of the seat wear my sons back goes to measure the angle?

ADS

Maedze

Most of us just eyeball it. If you want to post a picture, dead on and level from the side of the seat, we can tell you roughly where you are.

Chely7425

Ok! Here are 2 pictures of the car seat in my car. Our driveway is slightly sloped so I tried to line the bottom of the picture up with the bottom of the carseat to give a true idea of angle, if that makes sense! If you need other pictures let know...

CIMG3091.jpg

CIMG3092.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That looks nearly 45 degrees, maybe around 40?

Imagine a clock. 1 o'clock is 30 degrees, 1:30 is 45.

Or use your level app. Place it against where your child's back goes. Just know it may be backwards. My app says 47º, so that means it's 43º. If I want 30º I look for 60º on the app.

Wendy

Chely7425

Thank you! If we could even just move it a LITTLE more upright it would really help the passenger seat be more comfortable :D I am only 5'6'' and anybody taller than me can't really sit in that seat... which isn't a HUGE deal but it'd be nice to have a bit more space!! I will play around with my level app and the carseat when DH gets home.

When I am doing this... our driveway has a slight slope, like I said. Should I measure the slope of the driveway first? Like, if the slope of the driveway is 10 degrees, then will that make a difference in the measurement of the angle of the carseat?

Chely7425

Ok! I will calibrate my level inside and then take it outside to measure the angle :D I want the angle on the seat to be 30 degrees from straight up correct? Like... if true zero is flat ground and 90 is straight up, the seat should be 30 from straight up but 60 from the ground right?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
With something that's flat, like the frame of the window. Or just hold it parallel to flat and calibrate it then. Or put the car on the street.

Remove the towel and you should be golden.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok! I will calibrate my level inside and then take it outside to measure the angle :D I want the angle on the seat to be 30 degrees from straight up correct? Like... if true zero is flat ground and 90 is straight up, the seat should be 30 from straight up but 60 from the ground right?

0 is straight up, 90 is child laying on their back.

Wendy

Chely7425

Awesome! Thank you so much :D I will remove the towel and see what angle that gives me and probably come back and post some pics so you guys can check it for me! I wish we had a GOOD car seat tech around here but the "car seat checks" at the hospital are a joke... they told me I should flip DS1 around at 11 months because his legs were bent and could fly up and break his nose in a crash :eek:

LittlePeanut

I use the iPhone app for seat checks. I make sure we are on level ground first then measure up from there. On the iPhone the 30-45* will appear as 45-60* since the ground is zero. I just place the phone on it's back against where the child's back goes and sort of press against the shell to make sure the cover isn't interfering with the angle indicator.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC