TMI--snot question

scatterbunny

Okay, I have had a respiratory illness for a couple weeks, since we all got rid of the stomach flu. Hayley has it too, but I'm worse. I wake up and cannot stop coughing up snot, and blowing my nose. It's constant for the first 2ish hours I'm up and then it continues off and on all day. And the snot is yellowish. :(

I CANNOT miss my CPST class that starts in four days. What do I do?!?? I thought about trying to get into the health department today (but they rarely have time for walk-ins) and get some antibiotics, but if they won't work or won't work in time, what else can I do to lessen the problem?

I hate medication like Claritin, it makes me feel like I'm on heavy drugs, like cocaine or methamphetamines, I just get SUPER jittery and hypoglycemic-feeling, it's awful. But I'm considering taking it because I know it will dry up my nose. I can't be blowing like an elephant during class, or spitting up snot. Yuck. I know it's gross, and I'm sorry!

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I know exactly how you feel, except that Claritan doesn't do squat for me.

I have not found any medicine that is okay for me to take while breastfeeding that actually works. :(

Hope someone has a suggestion that works for you and that you feel better soon.

lynsgirl

I have some natural-based suggestions that may or may not work in time :p . The first one is if you have tea-tree oil, you can steam with it twice a day. You boil water and then add 5 drops tea-tree oil (TTO) and drape a towel over your head over the bowl/pot of boiling water. After 5 minutes, add 5 more drops of TTO. Do this for 15 minutes, adding more TTO every five minutes. Be sure to keep your eyes closed :eek: You can do this in the morning and at night.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but drink drink drink and drink some more - water. Also tea, if you're a tea person (I am not).

Oil of Oregano is a very potent anti-microbial that knocks things out. You can have this also twice a day. Most brands say to take 4 drops as a dosage (if it says to take more, that's fine, it's just not as concentrated). This also helps you get temporary congestion relief. It doesn't taste very good, but it works.

Vitamin C - a natural source. You can have up to 1000mg/hr, up to bowel tolerance.

If you have/had any kind of fever, don't fight it - unless it gets very high, leave it alone and let your body get it over with :eek: .

Take a very warm bath with epsom salts in it (about 2 cups dissolved in the bath water) every day, making sure you're drinking a lot of water during and/or after.

Finally, sleep as much as you can this weekend. I know you said you're "over" the flu, but all of this *should* help kick the rest of the yuckies sooner.

((Hugs)) and you're going to be great at your class!

Yoshi

Jenny, in January I had a cough for the entire MONTH! (and since I actually never get sick, it was a doozy b/c my immune system usually kicks butt!) The only OTC stuff I took that worked for me was Mucinex DM. It is really strong on the expectorant ingredient. I was coughing up yucky green stuff every morning for hours- once I took the Mucinex, it got MUCH better. I also got Laryngitis. Between coughing and not being able to talk, I was a mess! The Mucinex DM is also a decongestant. I never felt drugged or sleepy nor hyper like so any other OTC stuff makes me. Give it a shot- if nothing else helps. Get Well!!!:)
PS- You MUST drink a ton of water with the Mucinex.

scatterbunny

Thanks, everyone!

Amy, can I substitute something like eucalyptus essential oil for the TTO? I have eucalyptus, no tea tree...but I can go to the store later and get it if necessary. I think I'll get some Mucinex too, I am desperate!

Oil of oregano sounds promising, too.

We all had this in December and the doctor said he thought it was whooping cough, on the verge of pneumonia, and prescribed antibiotics. It did get rid of it in a few days, but I'd rather not go that route again!

cpsaddict

I second the Mucinex. It seemed like I was sick all of February. I had terrible chest cold and the Mucinex helped get everything out. However, don't buy the generic. I did the first time and it did not work. Only the real Mucinex works.
I hope you feel better and have fun at class!:D

lynsgirl

I don't think it would hurt anything to substitute the eucalyptus for the TTO, but I don't know what the difference would be in effectiveness. One of those "can't hurt, might help" things.

The Oil of Oregano will probably be expensive - mine is usually around $22, but it lasts a LONG time.

JaRylan

Hope something works for you! Surprisingly Rylan and I are both clear phlegm right now, usually I'd be coughing up the green/yellow right along with you. :eek:

scatterbunny

Ouch, $22! Hopefully I can find it cheaper, if not I may have to skip that. But I'll definitely do steam treatments and increase my water and vitamin C intake.

Being sick like this SUCKS. I swear, this year has been the absolute WORST for illnesses for us. We never get sick like this.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
OK, Jenny. Here's my not-so-fun solution. Head to the drug store and buy a sinus rinsing kit. I got a funny sinus infection back in November or December that lasted over 6 weeks (it paraded as a cold that would come and go). Finally, I got some a/bs and the nurse practitioner I saw told me to rinse my sinuses out. It was really gross, but I felt better and it got the snot out.

A couple of weeks after the infection cleared up, I started to get a cold (thanks, kids). I whipped out the kit and rinsed my sinuses again. The cold was gone within 2 days--unheard of for me.

Hope you feel better soon!

scatterbunny

Oooohhh, I'm cringing at the tought of rinsing my sinuses! :( Is it really hard and gross to do? I feel like I'll choke.

beeman

The good old colds. Its most likely viral, so antibiotics will do nothing (they only kill bacteria). I've never found claratin to work for colds (but its great for allergies), but have found that another over the counter drug called "actafed" helps with colds. I don't think its nearly as strong as claratin, so it might work out for you. The humidity from long hot showers seems to help loosen the flem to cough it up. And my last recomendation (and my favorite lately) is good old honey. Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

JaRylan

OK, Jenny. Here's my not-so-fun solution. Head to the drug store and buy a sinus rinsing kit. I got a funny sinus infection back in November or December that lasted over 6 weeks (it paraded as a cold that would come and go). Finally, I got some a/bs and the nurse practitioner I saw told me to rinse my sinuses out. It was really gross, but I felt better and it got the snot out.

A couple of weeks after the infection cleared up, I started to get a cold (thanks, kids). I whipped out the kit and rinsed my sinuses again. The cold was gone within 2 days--unheard of for me.

Hope you feel better soon!

My grandma snorts salt water when she is stuffed up.

skipspin

Mucinex is definately worth a try. It wiped out DD's croup (she was VERY congested) in two doses. I don't like to give a bunch of stuff, but anything is better than having to go to the Dr and get steroids, IMO.

My m/w recommended it to me when I couldn't get over a sinus infection/congestion and it worked quite well.

If a pg woman and a 3 yr old can take it, it can't be too bad. LOL.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, it's not hard. You have to block your throat with your tongue or you'll swallow it and that's gross because it's salt water. You just squirt it up your nose while leaning over a sink and it just all comes out. It's warm water so it's not too shocking. It's a bit like going swimming in the ocean and getting a wave up your nose.

scatterbunny

Okay, I bought Mucinex and I'm going to just mix warm saltwater and try to snort that. Blech. It's going to be SO gross.

I couldn't find oil of oregano. They had tea tree oil for $7.99 but I didn't get any...I ran out of money, buying calcium/magnesium supplements for Hayley and a few other dairy-free things.

I also found grapefruit seed extract for about $10, next time I am getting some of that, I've heard such good things about taking GSE when sick.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So you don't cause an infection if you don't already have one, boil the water first and let it cool down to warm. Then use one of those nose bulbs that everyone has for a baby to squirt it up one nostril. Oh, I can't imagine trying to snort it, lol!

scatterbunny

Thanks for reminding me to boil it first! :eek:

I think I *could* snort it, but the aspirator is a much better idea, and we have one that we never used with Hayley, packed away somewhere.

JaRylan

So you don't cause an infection if you don't already have one, boil the water first and let it cool down to warm. Then use one of those nose bulbs that everyone has for a baby to squirt it up one nostril. Oh, I can't imagine trying to snort it, lol!

The squirter sounds much better. I don't even know where mine is, wonder if a turkey baster would work? Properly sterlized of course. For a while there my teetotaling grandma was also eating gin-soaked raisins for arthritis or heart or something and she was soaking her itchy feet in portulaca juice until her feet started to turn green. The saltwater snorting is something she has done for years and years...the last two are rather new remedies to her, lol. Mind you she is 85 and going strong.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! Here are some of the things I use to fight/heal sinus infection:

echinacea (tea) 2-4 cups/daily starting at first signs of illness
Vit. C (OJ, fresh fruits & tomatoes)
zinc lozenges
peppermint tea (breathe vapors while it steep, then drink as it cools)
Vick's vapor rub and the plug-in thingies (menthol rub)
saltwater (or breastmilk, back when I had a nursling) flush of sinuses
lots of garlic added to foods (or take garlic capsules)
Tea Tree Oil or Eucalyptus oil steam treatment (mentioned in a pp-- both are effective, BTW, as are any plants containing menthol)
fresh pineapple, or Bromelain (sp?) supplement (good for congestion, plus the vit. C)

One rule of thumb with herbal/natural remedies, is that the body generally uses the healing properties most effectively when it comes in the most natural form (food or tea, basically). So if you can add something into your diet, or drink an herbal tea, that is preferable to ultra-concentrated capsules and such.

Antihistamines should not be used for sinus infection-- they may dry up the mucous membranes and secretions too much and cause further blockage.

All dairy should be avoided during treatment (not a problem for you currently, I believe).

We dealt with a chronic, ongoing sinus infection with our older son for over a year before the whole sinusitis/asthma diagnosis was made and we ended up doing several rounds of big-gun ABX. I was trying everything under the sun to get it under control. But most of the above treatments helped with the congestion & drainage.

TBH, though, I think you should go make sure it isn't an actual infection, because it sure sounds like it is from here. :( I'm not a huge fan of ABX, but with a chronic infection, when you've given your body every opportunity to heal itself, sometimes that's the best, or only, way to get things back to where they need to be.

Best of luck! I hope you're feeling better for your CPST class next week!!! :smooch:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC