Question Recommend car seat - 3.5 yr old in Dad's car

jeneric04

I'm new - first of all, thank you creating such a welcoming environment. On to my complicated question.

I need to replace an expiring Evenflo seat (was my niece's) in my husband's Altima. My 3.5 year old mainly rides in my car, but occasionally rides with my husband for short trips on the weekend. I want to keep him harnessed awhile longer and am guessing he is around 40 inches and 35 lbs... with a long torso. Is there a good secondary seat you would recommend? I was considering an EFTA that is on sale on Amazon, but I wonder if doesn't make sense to get a convertible, since he is already forward facing. To complicate this, I would be willing to spend more money on it (maybe a Radian?), if it could get a longer life with my younger son in a couple of years when his convertible expires in my car and possibly move my older son to a booster in my husband's car only (at 5.5 yrs). I am already having trouble convincing my husband that we need to replace the expiring seat, but I think he has given in. :)

I drive a Mazda Tribute that will most likely be replaced with a minivan or large SUV next year. I have my 3.5 year old in a Nautilus and my 7 month old (was 20 lbs & 28.5 inches a month ago) in an infant SafeSeat. When he outgrows the SafeSeat, he will be moved to a Roundabout rearfacing that will expire in 2012 (which is when he would probably outgrow it anyway). I really like the Roundabout, but I do wish I had gone for higher harness slots, especially since I have tall boys.

So anyway, would 5.5 be too young to put in a booster in my husband's car? I want to still harness him in my car.. so I wonder if he would object. I could just get a new seat with only him in mind and replace the convertible in a couple of years separately. I just want to figure out what is the best use for my seats and the time I have left on them, while keeping my boys safe, and also not breaking the bank.

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There is a lot of variability about when a child is ready for a booster. A 5.5 year old who is 35 lbs. may or may not be ready to be boostered part-time.

It definitely doesn't make sense to me to buy a convertible at this point.

I'd look at the Evenflo Maestro if you want a combination seat under $100, or the Nautilus if you can do a bit more.
ETA: wait, I misread. I thought the child was 5.5 NOW. Sorry, pregnant brain!

NO 3.5 year old is ready for a booster even part time. I'd go for a Maestro or Nautilus.

U

Unregistered

Thanks - I'm sorry my q was confusing... I am considering convertible or another Naulitus type seat for my 3.5 yr old... but if I do convertible, I would hand it down to his brother in about 2 years when he is 5.5. There is no way I would put him in a booster now! :)

Keeanh

ETA: wait, I misread. I thought the child was 5.5 NOW. Sorry, pregnant brain!

NO 3.5 year old is ready for a booster even part time. I'd go for a Maestro or Nautilus.

I don't think she meant a booster now, but is making long-term plans. But I'm pregnant too, so maybe I'm not getting it ;).

I'm reading:

NOW:
Her car (Mazda Tribute, soon to be SUV/van):
- 3.5 yo Nautilus
- 7 mo Roundabout (expires 2012)

Husband's car (Altima):
- 3.5 yo ??? <--- this is what she wants to know now

2012 (when RA expires)
Her car:
- then 5.5 yo Nautilus
- then 2.5 yo ???

Husband's car:
- then 5.5 yo ready for booster??

If child 1 is ready for a booster at 5.5, would a convertible be a good idea for #1 now since it could be passed on to #2 in 2 years?

Anyways, that's how I read it.

aeormsby

I would look at the Maestro if you want a less expensive FF seat. Or thinking about the Radian and passing it down is a great option too.

At 5.5 he should be ready to start learning how to sit in a booster (and if he's not you can decide what to do to keep him harnessed at that point).

lpperry

My stepdaughter was 5.5 when she went into a booster in my husband's car and her mom's car. She had outgrown the seats in their cars. She still rides in a Radian in my car. She sits fine in a booster, but we are not going to buy another one when we have a perfectly good seat she can ride in. She's never said anything about riding in a harness vs booster. She just knows which seat is hers in each car.

NannyMom

How long do you want to keep the younger child rear facing? The Roundabout is outgrown by height pretty quickly RF. Maybe get a Radian to keep the younger RF longer, then reassess if DS1 is ready for a booster when the time comes.

jeneric04

If I do a convertible with the plan to pass down, is there one you would recommend over the Radian? I love the idea of the high harness slots but have read about trouble installing.

We turned my older son FF at 15 months, and he outgrew the Roundabout FF by height last summer or fall (not remembering well). I do plan on having DS2 RF at least 2 years and hopefully longer... think I can persuade DH with the AAP recommendation changing. Do most children make it to at least 2 RF in the Roundabout? I wish I had known better and not registered for the RA.... it's a great seat, but I didn't know about car seat expiration and the importance of harness height then!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unfortunately, many, many kids do not make it to 2 RF in the Roundabout. Some do not even make it to 18 months.

urchin_grey

I think a larger convertible is a good idea that way the baby can stay RF'ing in the long term. There are plenty out now that will last a long time FF'ing too. The Radians are great for FF'ing (someone may be able to confirm if they install well in your vehicles). Also look at the Safety 1st Complete Air, The First Years True Fit, and (unless your boys are very tall), the Graco My Ride. I think some people have said they don't really like the MR for FF'ing though.

jeneric04

Thanks for the help so far!

The Altima is a 2007, and the Tribute is a 2002 (and will be replaced by a 2012 minivan, most likely).

DS1 is around 75% on height and about to move up to the 3rd from the bottom harness slot on the Nautilus.

DS2 is around 95% on height, but I'm sure that will come down some.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My only concern with getting a larger convertible now is that it's entirely possible DS2 will need it in a year, which will *still* leave DS1 needing a new seat.

If you can swing it, I think I would get a Maestro for DS1 now, and plan on getting a HW ERF seat for DS2 when the time comes. You're going to need a follow-up seat to the Roundabout regardless, might as well make it an ERF one. Plus, who knows what will be available in that venue in a year...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC