Need seat suggestions for ext cab truck please...

shaker542

Hello...we need to get a car seat for my daughter as she is growing out of the first one. My situation first...

I Have 2003 Chev S10 Ext Cab. I realize the following allready...turn off pass air bag. Dont install in middle of front seat. dont install in the cab.

(additional thoughts...My daughter may be in a Toyota corrola back seat from time to time. Is middle best???...)

I have also read that rear facing is recommended for as long as possible and given that my daughter will be in the front seat of a truck i think tha safety is an even greater factor than normal. I have read up alot on the reputation of Britax and they seem to be stylin and with rep for many safety and other features. I dont mind the prices as long as they are definitely that much better. just saw the Safety 1st complete air i think it is called. Has anyone heard the word on these???...

Does anyone have experience/tips with a chev s10 as far as what seats make a better fit than others in this vehicle type? I am guessing seeing around the seat to the passenger side of the truck is also a consideration. So

sorry for being kind of all over the place..ideal criteria are ...

fit
safety (with pass side pick up truck installation in mind)
heavy rear-facing limit (35lbs great...40 or more even better)
heavy front facing limit
ease of use/convenience

Price is not really a big concern, and any assistance/opinions would be great..

thanks

PS i am located in Nova Scotia, Canada, just incase availability of the seat is a concern...

ADS

dogmelissa

You might want to look at the Radian line - the Premier or XT Rear face to 45 lbs. They are also a narrow seat so they might work in the middle (though any seat may interfere with the steering/gear shift in the middle). They are a bit of a tricky install though so you'd definintely want to try one before you bought one - better yet, have a tech help you since it's going to be even more difficult in the front.

Generally speaking, car seats are safest in the middle of the vehicle as there they will be less impacted in a side-impact collision. But it doesn't always work out that the middle is possible, so if you have to go outboard, don't feel bad about it, as long as the seat is installed correctly. Your truck may have the LUAS anchors in the front passenger seat which can make installation easier (not always) as well (my '02 Silverado does).

Before anyone else posts, I know they're going to ask you for your DD's stats: current age, weight & height (more important: torso height if you can measure it when she's sitting against a wall) - then a recommendation on a seat is easier.

Good luck!
Melissa

mommycat

Welcome to a fellow Nova Scotian! I don't think availability is a concern at all at this point. Where in NS are you? I'd be happy to meet if you are close by and would like to test out a few seats. As you can tell, I have a number available to me... ;)

I'm a little un-clear on something: do you not have a rear seat in the truck? If it is an extended cab, I would expect a seat, but maybe it is not the type suitable for carseats? I have experience with a 2004 Silverado, but I have no idea how that compares to the S10. I assume you have a keyswitch for the airbag; you do not want to rely on a sensor, but I don't think those are too common in a truck?

As Melissa says the middle is generally best, assuming it is a good install with the seatbelt, and that it leaves enough room for the driver to not eat the wheel.

It would help to have your DDs stats, including age/weight/height since some seats are better for taller/lighter kids and others for shorter/heavier kids, etc.

Without knowing that info, I would look at the Graco MyRide (and test the FF install as well - I can expand on this later), the Safety 1st Complete Air, the First Years True Fit, and the Radian. The Britaxes are ok but currently have a low RF weight limit and don't last as long by height either, and though updated ones may be coming out sometime in the fututre you may not have the time to wait. That and they are expensive to boot. I didn't really like the way my MA sat in the trcuk FF either, but it would depend on your seats.

dogmelissa

Cat, just to add my own personal knowledge to the mix, the S10 is like the Sonoma, it's the SMALL truck. The back seat of this truck, if you can call it that, has the jump seats that are unsuitable for child seats. So any install would have to go in the front passenger or front middle seat location.

Melissa

mommycat

Ok, thanks Melissa. I am not very truck-savvy. :)

One more thought, you probably can't put it in the middle in truck then, because while you can turn the pass side airbag off the driver's side would still be functional and might interfere. Our Silverado prohibits putting ANY seats in the center front seat, so I would check the truck manual if you were considering this at any time.

dogmelissa

Ok, thanks Melissa. I am not very truck-savvy. :)

One more thought, you probably can't put it in the middle in truck then, because while you can turn the pass side airbag off the driver's side would still be functional and might interfere. Our Silverado prohibits putting ANY seats in the center front seat, so I would check the truck manual if you were considering this at any time.

No problem! I only know this because my Dad has a Sonoma. And if the S10 is anything like his Sonoma size-wise, there's pretty much no child seat that will fit in the middle anyhow, forward or rear-facing. I have a Radian and I don't even think it would fit in the middle (even if it was permitted). It's a really little truck. :( Good idea on checking the manual though! The manual should also include info on how to turn off the airbag and indicate if there's the LUAS, and how to top-tether the seat (when you're FF).

Melissa

shaker542

Thank you for the info so far folks...yes its certainly not a large truck and correct on the keyswitch..we always leave it off so we dont forget...definitely a passenger side seating situation also and correct on the fold out seats in the ext cab...also the front pass side has the latch system built in....unfortunately not an option...i am in Londonderry Nova Scotia just north of Truro but travel to the HRM quite often...i appreciate the offer mommycat and if convenient i would love to meet somewhere and try a few, but due to our delays we plan on purchasing a seat this week. Likely tomorrow actually...I was hoping some places would let us try their demo seats in the truck for fit.perhaps if i leave my license and girlfriend with them while I try it....what area are you in by the way???kinda short notice but if you are near HRM or Truro and have some free time tomorrow lemme know. I can go a bit out of the way no problem if necessary.

I have read that some folks have found the Complete Air to be on the bulky side but we are willing to try the fit of it. Also, i don't think I have seen any Radians around...where can they be found in the HRM mommycat???...or maybe i have missed them...are they called something else around here?

I will take a few measurements today and see what i find and post them in here later today...she is 14 months old and i am guessing she is allready beyond the limits on her first seat. We are looking to purchase a seat this week as we are behind schedule as it is on the upgrade.

I have also noticed mention of a "Tether" system as well. i dont beleive there is one in the truck..someone mentioned dealer may install for us???...is that something that is an option in the truck for us???...both fr and rear facing???

selinajean

Thank you for the info so far folks...yes its certainly not a large truck and correct on the keyswitch..we always leave it off so we dont forget...definitely a passenger side seating situation also and correct on the fold out seats in the ext cab...also the front pass side has the latch system built in....unfortunately not an option...i am in Londonderry Nova Scotia just north of Truro but travel to the HRM quite often...i appreciate the offer mommycat and if convenient i would love to meet somewhere and try a few, but due to our delays we plan on purchasing a seat this week. Likely tomorrow actually...I was hoping some places would let us try their demo seats in the truck for fit.perhaps if i leave my license and girlfriend with them while I try it....what area are you in by the way???kinda short notice but if you are near HRM or Truro and have some free time tomorrow lemme know. I can go a bit out of the way no problem if necessary.

I have read that some folks have found the Complete Air to be on the bulky side but we are willing to try the fit of it. Also, i don't think I have seen any Radians around...where can they be found in the HRM mommycat???...or maybe i have missed them...are they called something else around here?

I will take a few measurements today and see what i find and post them in here later today...she is 14 months old and i am guessing she is allready beyond the limits on her first seat. We are looking to purchase a seat this week as we are behind schedule as it is on the upgrade.

I have also noticed mention of a "Tether" system as well. i dont beleive there is one in the truck..someone mentioned dealer may install for us???...is that something that is an option in the truck for us???...both fr and rear facing???

Your truck will have tether anchors for forward-facing later on. You just need to find them. :) The only seats that allow you to tether RF are the SK radians and the britax. Although I am not sure what you tether to in the front seat of a truck. Hopefully one of the truck gals can help out there.

What kind of seats do you have in the front? The LATCH manual says the bucket-seat S10s have a tether anchor on the back wall and the bench-seat ones have a tether anchor on the lower back of the seat.

The Radian is the model name of the seat. Sunshine Kids is the brand name....maybe you have noticed that name instead?

amyd

Are you planning to buy in Truro or in HRM? Not much selection in Truro, but if that's where you're going, I can make a few suggestions. I'm from there, although, not living there now. There are several techs in Truro as well. If HRM is where you're headed to buy, there are several techs there too.

ETA- As far as I know, the only place in HRM that carries the Radians is the Royal Diaperer. Uncommon Kids may have it as well, but I haven't been in there in a while.

mommycat

Shoot lost a post.

Ok, sorry for the delay, have been busy and staying off line. I'm in the Valley and so are all my seats, I come in to HRM for work. Probably not going to be easy to arrange even if you don't have your seat yet. The Royal Diaperer on Sackville Drive (in Sackville ;P ) carries the Radian, Britaxes and a TF, maybe others now? and will also let you try out the seats in the parking lot. Toys R Us lets you try seats, I believe, and carries the TF(rebound version?), MR, CA. SOmeone else already covered the tethering. I wouldn't personally stress too much about RF tethering the seat even if you do end up with a Britax or Radian. Especially since the rear wall/glass in your case wouldn't be right up against the back of the seat.

Any seat you get for a typical 14mo can be more upright than 45* so you should have less trouble fitting the seats in than you would for a newborn. Some of the options we mention have tall shells but if they go in more upright they won't require as much front-to-back room. And the Radian and CA are fairly narrow if you need to fit another adult in that center spot (not my favourite option with a lap only belt but sometimes you have little choice).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC