Question Front seat with booster vs rear seat with no booster

U

Unregistered

I have three kids...9 months, 2 and 6. The two younger children are in convertible seats and the older is in a booster seat. Sometimes my mom needs to fit all three kids in her sedan and they do not all fit across the back seat. Since she only does this occassionally and is driving less than 2 miles when she does it, I do not want to try to find new seats that will fit three across as I cannot really afford to do that (we already own 9 car seats). My question is, is it safer to put my 6 year old 55 lb son in the middle rear seat with a seatbelt only or in the front seat with a booster? I have been searching for information on this, but cannot find anything. Thanks so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What are your nine seats? Maybe there's a combination that'll work? What sedan and what year? How heavy is your two year old, and are they forward or rear facing?

My first reaction is to get a Ride Safer Travel Vest for that middle position, provided it's either a lap and shoulder belt, or a lap belt with a top tether available. Since the RSTV doesn't expire, even though you'd be out $120 or so it'll last you through all three kids. So a fantastic deal, as this would be likely to happen again in a few years when the two year old is older, then again when the baby is older.

But maybe there's a combination of seats you already own that'll work for everyone.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Neither is a good choice, but if there truly is no other choice (and I'm pretty sure we can come up with one), probably I'd go front seat pushed all the way back with booster.

Is there a shoulder belt in the center position?

Katy

I do a lot of 3 across in seats. What seats do you have I'm sure we can figure something out. Certain seats puzzle better with others, Especially if you have both RF and FF kids. If your 6yr cannot pass the 5 step test he cannot be in just a belt. If the car has airbags he should not be in the front at all. Let's find a safe alternative.

U

Unregistered

I have three kids...9 months, 2 and 6. The two younger children are in convertible seats and the older is in a booster seat. Sometimes my mom needs to fit all three kids in her sedan and they do not all fit across the back seat. Since she only does this occassionally and is driving less than 2 miles when she does it, I do not want to try to find new seats that will fit three across as I cannot really afford to do that (we already own 9 car seats). My question is, is it safer to put my 6 year old 55 lb son in the middle rear seat with a seatbelt only or in the front seat with a booster? I have been searching for information on this, but cannot find anything. Thanks so much!

The vehicle is a 2008 Hyundai Azera. The baby is rear facing and the two year old is front facing and is 26 lbs. The carseats we have are 2 Britax Marathon's, 1 Britax Roundabout, 1 Britax Roundabout 50, 2 Cosco Scenaras, 1 evenflo big kid booster, 1 britax parkway booster, and 1 backless booster. There is latch on the two outer rear seats and the baby cannot be behind the driver's seat. We tried the two scenaras with all of the boosters and it almost fits, but is just a little too tight.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you try with the Sceneras both rear facing? Your two year old is definitely small enough to rear face (that would be ideal in any car, actually), and that may get you some space.

Wendy

NannyMom

What is the backless booster you have? Walmart sells a Harmony Literider for $13, and I've found it's narrower than most backless boosters.

My first reaction is to get a Ride Safer Travel Vest for that middle position, provided it's either a lap and shoulder belt, or a lap belt with a top tether available. Since the RSTV doesn't expire, even though you'd be out $120 or so it'll last you through all three kids. So a fantastic deal, as this would be likely to happen again in a few years when the two year old is older, then again when the baby is older.

Wendy
:yeahthat:. If you want to get an idea of how much space a RideSafer vest takes up versus a conventional booster, you can see the pics I posted at the bottom of this thread - cars pictured are a 1997 Honda Civic sedan and a 2002 Ford Focus sedan

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The vehicle is a 2008 Hyundai Azera. The baby is rear facing and the two year old is front facing and is 26 lbs. The carseats we have are 2 Britax Marathon's, 1 Britax Roundabout, 1 Britax Roundabout 50, 2 Cosco Scenaras, 1 evenflo big kid booster, 1 britax parkway booster, and 1 backless booster. There is latch on the two outer rear seats and the baby cannot be behind the driver's seat. We tried the two scenaras with all of the boosters and it almost fits, but is just a little too tight.

Did you try the sceneras side by side with the booster outboard?

myliljunebugs

Are you installing with the lower anchors? If so try seat belt installs, that will usually give you a few inches. The sceneras combined with the parkway should work, especially if you have it beside a rear facing seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC