Car seats and airplane travel

cherrypie9377

:confused:We are flying to FL this summer and while picking out our seats for our kiddos a disclaimer appeared that we were not able to use DD or DS seats on the airplane, only the "airplane harness" was allowed?

I had been planning on using our Scenera for DD on the trip and either using our DS Nauti on the plane or gate checking it.

Later i get a phone call from my MIL and she says that she got an email from Delta that we couldnt use car seats on the plane, in case we were planning on it, based on the kids' age. My DD is going to be 4y10m(32lbs but FF) and DS 5y11m(54lbs) when we travel.

So I thought i would come to you all and see if something had changed, that i didn't know about. Can i use my seats on the plane? We aren't seated in an emergency exit row and since the planes' seats are 2 aisle 2, their will be an adult in the seat next the car seat.:confused:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

If you're flying domestically, you can use a seat.

Here's FAA info on that.

notably-
Discussion: No operator may prohibit a child (an individual who has not reached his or her 18th birthday) from using an approved CRS when the parent or guardian purchases a seat for the child, the child is accompanied by a parent or guardian and the child is within the weight limits for the CRS. If an approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, it is the responsibility of the aircraft operator to accommodate the CRS in another seat. The regulations also permit an operator to use its discretion in identifying the most appropriate forward-facing passenger seat location, considering safe operating practices.

It could have been the seats you were choosing. Child restraints can only go in window seats, unless you're a family group. Then you can have two next to each other, but you still can't have one on the aisle.

Here are the FAA guidelines on using seats.

All that being said, are you renting a car at the other end? If you don't need seats at your destination, I'd probably skip them on the plane for kids those ages. :twocents:

mamabear

DH is an airline pilot as as far as I know carseats are allows on all domestic carriers, GIVEN that you have purchased a seat to install it on;)

Some airlines will let you carry your seats through security, and if the flight is not very full, will arrange you to a seating situation that you could use an empty seat for your carseat. If the flight ends up being full you will have to gate check your seat though.(I see you purchased tickets....just putting that info out there)

we fly standby with our seats all the time and have never had a problem...I'd bring your seats to the gate anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you're concerned, I'd call Delta, and if the answer given is unsatisfactory/they can't fix it, I'd call the FAA to see what they say.

aeormsby

I wonder if they have something built into their automated system that over age 4 kids use booster seats and those aren't allowed on the plane.

I agree to call and find out why you got that notice.

cherrypie9377

thanks to everyones suggestions...and im sorry that i posted this in the wrong section :( i forwarded the information from the FAA to my MIL. She in turn contacted delta, and indeed it is automated that b/c of the kiddos ages they say that their seats aren't to be used, but they can be if parents want to, and the seats we chose allow it, which they do, thankfully. YAY! :thumbsup:

yes, we do have a rental vehicle when we get to FL, a Nissan Quest, I'm hoping that install of these two seats, will not be a problem, seeing that i've not a had problem w/ any other car/van/truck/suv we've put them in before.

thanks again!

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just flew Delta about 2 wks ago with 6 different planes and crew (from Toronto, Canada to Atlanta-LAX-Lihue and back from Lihue-Mineapolis-Toronto) and we used our (Canadian-certified) Radian XT. No issues what so ever. The only question asked were if we had purchased a seat for dd who is 2.5 yrs old (and yes we did).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC