sedan with the biggest back seat

love-pink

i soooooo want a car!!! ive been looking at the impala, malibu, taurus and fusion. i just need something better on gas asap! these are the seats i use most often - harmony booster, 2 gns, mr, ma, and a turbo booster. ( of course i dont use them all at the same time lol ) i have had an 06 impala so i know what that back seat is like :) the car i get will probably be an 07 or newer if at all possible.

does anyone own any of these and have good or bad installs???

any one have an idea which one would have the biggest back seat compared to the impala?

do any of them have or allow center latch??

do they have top tethers in all three spots?

which would have the most leg rm for the rfing mr??

thanks so much for your help! this site helps me on daily basis :D

ADS

steph_s

My Taurus has a huge back seat, not sure about the new ones though. The biggest back seat I have seen for a car though is by far my dad's concord! That thing is HUGE! Like 2 Regents and a efta huge!

crunchierthanthou

The Taurus allows center LATCH. The lower anchors are spaced to allow one center or two outboard installations. It generally works well for three across as well (although, you often need to use seatbelts in that situation).

The 02+ Impala has three dedicated sets of lower anchors for full LATCH in all positions. I think the previous body style is slightly wider than the most current 06+ style (per a poster here who had both).

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Malibu is smaller than the Impala. It allows center LATCH, but it's a funky arrangement that means you can't use one of the outboard seating positions (at all since it also blocks the belt buckle). It does have top tether anchors for all three rear seats.

The Impala has three full sets of LATCH that can be used at the same time (meaning it also has three tether anchors). It should have plenty of room for RF seats. The BV fits in the middle of my 08 Impala at about a 40 degree angle and my seats can go all the way back and recline some. I'd say you could fit a larger convertible RF at a more 30-35 degree angle with the seat all the way or almost all the way back outboard.

The Taurus is probably close to the same size in the back as the Impala. It has two sets of LATCH. Ford allows you to borrow the LATCH to install in the middle, but your CR has to allow it as well (the middle anchors are standard LATCH spacing). If you install in the middle using LATCH, you'll have to use belts outboard. There are three tether anchors. There should be quite a bit of room for RF seats.

I don't know how the Fusion compares size wise. It allows LATCH in the middle only if the CR allows (non-standard) installation w/ spacing of 18". Again, if you install in the middle using LATCH, you'll have to use belts outboard. There are three tether anchors.

Lulu

I haven't been in all of those vehicles, but I just returned a rented '08 impala and we own a '03 Taurus. The Taurus is my absolute favorite backseat for adults and car seats. Roomy and comfortable. My family is all very tall and everyone is comfortable in the Taurus.

birdflippin'

I drive an '05 Ford Five Hundred, the predecessor to the new Taurus. It has a huge back seat. I can easily fit my not so skinny butt between the car seats.

The Fusion will feel like a subcompact compared to the Taurus. Shoot, it'll feel like a compact next to even the Impala or Malibu. It's pretty tho, but the Taurus looks real nice now too.

geekKT

I had an '01 Taurus and now have an '04, and they are incredibly roomy in the back. I :love: my Taurus' even if they aren't the nicest car around.

I have a TFP without the headrest installed in the center at the 45 angle with UAS/LATCH. Very easy install, the front seats go all the way back. I'm sure at the higher angle with the headrest there will still be lots of room.

I believe '07 would still be the same body style as the one I own. '08 it changes and then again for the '10 year, IIRC. I did sit in a new one at the auto show this past year and really liked it...it's a huge redesign inside...though if by any chance you plan to have tall passengers in the back seat check it out first. My DH's head hit the roof where it slopes back and down at the edge of the backseat. He doesn't have that problem in my current car.

I've sat in all the other cars but don't remember them well enough to have an opinion, but I'd say the biggest 2 of those 4 are the Taurus and Impala.

love-pink

it sounds dumb but if i could id get a 2006 or 2007 taurus but in know when i trade in my envoy im going to be a little upside down in my loan so they will probably make me get a newer car so i can get financed. as long as my payment stays the same im okay with that. the gas for my envoy is killing me to and from work. :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC