new Britax convertible - Marathon 70?

Athena

I don't know all the patterns, but it seems like they are moving away from the plush fabrics Or maybe someone who knows the fabrics better will correct me? Feel free to do so. ;)

Last edited:
ADS

crunchierthanthou

Is it too soon to start losing hope?

I'm trying to guess at shell height. We know HUGS are 5.5", right? at least, the one sitting here next to me is. I think they're standard on all the seats.

On my screen, the HUGS of the BV70 are measuring 7/8", which scales at a factor of 7.6. The shell is roughly 3.25" (more of a guess with the angle of the pic), which multiplied by 7.6 is right around the 24.5-25" shell height we've recorded for current Britax convertibles in the spreadsheet...

I know small miscalculations or measuring errors can lead to large differences in that kind of estimating. I'm crossing my fingers that's the case. Why couldn't someone be there with a measuring tape?! :p

simplychels

Is it too soon to start losing hope?

I'm trying to guess at shell height. We know HUGS are 5.5", right? at least, the one sitting here next to me is. I think they're standard on all the seats.

On my screen, the HUGS of the BV70 are measuring 7/8", which scales at a factor of 7.6. The shell is roughly 3.25" (more of a guess with the angle of the pic), which multiplied by 7.6 is right around the 24.5-25" shell height we've recorded for current Britax convertibles in the spreadsheet...

I know small miscalculations or measuring errors can lead to large differences in that kind of estimating. I'm crossing my fingers that's the case. Why couldn't someone be there with a measuring tape?! :p

Yes. Just bask in this glory for a moment before we start scrutinizing

I sure hope your calculations are wrong. Not that it matters for my DD, I'll get one of the new ones anyways as soon as they become available up here. she still has oodles of room in her MA. But for others that need a taller shell to be fully sold on the new models, lets hope it is even slightly taller.

Suzanne74

Is there a date out there? I have a BLVD in a box still. My 8mo old is in her Snugride 32 and still has at least 3" above her although I know she will be more comfortable in a new seat soon.

Looking at the BLVD pic, I see no difference. Doesn't look higher and the seat still doesn't look deep. :( It looks like the black shell and maybe the plusher harness pads are the only thing new.

Joyofbirth

I don't know, the seating area look a little deeper to me. Maybe a little narrower too, but I really think it looks deeper.

DahliaRW

I'm excited, but I can't believe how fickle everyone is. Two years ago, anyone who complained about rear-facing leg room in Britax seats was scoffed at and assailed with pictures of happily rear-facing four-year-olds in Marathons. Now it's a deal breaker that makes the seat useless? :confused:

Seriously... here are the ERF seats we currently have to choose from:

-Radian - takes up a ridiculous amount of room RFing, stupid 45 degree RFing angle that is nearly impossible to change, difficult (or impossible) for average, non-tech parent to install correctly, completely incompatible with some vehicles.

-True Fit - doesn't it still only RF to 35 lbs? So not really an ERF seat, but still continues to be recommended.

-My Ride - short shell, no RFing tether

Pick your seat... they all have their issues.

Very true. You just have to decide what features you want more. For me, it's not worth $120 for a rfing tether to buy a britax over a MR (now a britax with more shell height, that might be different).

And you forgot the CA. Which does have the 40" thing and no rfing tether, but it's the only seat that works for my ds2!

ilo

I like it, when it comes out I need to figure out if it is tall enough for DD. She still has lot of room to grow in her Bv so I would think it should not be an issue. I just really like our Bv and I like RF tether for older bigger kids (DD is 3).

I also don't understand these complains about RF leg room as when Dd was a baby we were told it is not an issue and kids are used to sitting like that, so now their are not?

autumnlily

I like it, when it comes out I need to figure out if it is tall enough for DD. She still has lot of room to grow in her Bv so I would think it should not be an issue. I just really like our Bv and I like RF tether for older bigger kids (DD is 3).

I also don't understand these complains about RF leg room as when Dd was a baby we were told it is not an issue and kids are used to sitting like that, so now their are not?

It's completely okay for kids to sit with their legs RF in a Britax seat. Just lately, we have been impressed with some newer ERF seats that provide MORE leg room... just a feature - not a safety issue. If your DD is happy - as many ERF Britax children are then :thumbsup::thumbsup:

crunchierthanthou

It's all relative. A few years ago there weren't many options for ERF. Rear facing 3 and 4 year olds were on the skinny end of the spectrum because few seats could rf beyond 33 lbs. You're right, kids to often sit with their legs folded and if they ride rf in a Britax every day for 3-4 years, they figure out which ways are most comfortable to them and it's no big deal. Ds was rf in a MA until he was 3y9m and never had a single complaint.

I think the issue comes in when you have a 35-40 lb 2 or 3 year old who isn't... shall we say, lithe? That is compounded when they ride in a different seat in another vehicle. Several have more room than the Britax seats (True Fit, Complete Air, Radians...). They ride in one seat one day and the next they look all balled up and smooshed in the other. In reality, they're probably fine in both. It might be in part our own perception of comfort, though we probably wouldn't even think twice about it if that was how they rode every time. :twocents:

The bottom line and likely root of the argument is that there are other options with more room (that don't necessarily take up more space). Much like Britax being more than a year behind most of their competition on the 40 lb weight limit, they'll still be sorely lagging if they haven't increased both seat depth and shell height.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's all relative. A few years ago there weren't many options for ERF. Rear facing 3 and 4 year olds were on the skinny end of the spectrum because few seats could rf beyond 33 lbs. You're right, kids to often sit with their legs folded and if they ride rf in a Britax every day for 3-4 years, they figure out which ways are most comfortable to them and it's no big deal. Ds was rf in a MA until he was 3y9m and never had a single complaint.

It is funny how times change. A few years ago, seats like the Marathon were praised as being the best seats for extended rear-facing. For any parents who questioned legroom, it was dismissed as not being an issue. The kids can fold their legs or hang them off to the side without any safety risk, they were told. We did that for DD until she was 3.5 years old. Today, some people have the impression that the very same model shouldn't even be considered because it can't be used rear-facing for any reasonable amount of time. This is far from the truth, though there are certainly options that provide a little more room.

The bottom line and likely root of the argument is that there are other options with more room (that don't necessarily take up more space). Much like Britax being more than a year behind most of their competition on the 40 lb weight limit, they'll still be sorely lagging if they haven't increased both seat depth and shell height.

That is very true. It's hard to leapfrog the competition today, like Britax did with the original Roundabout and Wizard. Many companies have copied and surpassed those products, all with a trend to increasingly big and heavy products to satisfy the demands for increased height and weight limits. I'm glad Britax (and other companies) keeps pushing the bar higher, even if only a little. It is very difficult for a small or midsize company with manufacturing in the USA to remain competitive in any industry. I think the new convertibles look quite good on paper and hope they measure up to the expectations when we start to see them on shelves, put them in our vehicles and use them with our kids.

crunchierthanthou

Does anyone know if the new Britax seats are Made in China like the frontier is?

Is that a new change with the Frontier85? because the original was made in NC

0515081758.jpg

On the other hand, I believe the PWSG and Chaperone are made in China.

Spam

Just checked my 85 and it says manufactured in charlotte,nc, usa just like the original

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As far as I know, the Frontier models and all the convertibles are made in the USA and will continue to be made in the USA (covers and some parts may be imported, of course).

Momof4Girls

Any word on when we'll hear more details on heights, both kids' heights and harness slot heights? Leg room? Prototypes in people's hands?

To my knowledge, only the new PWSG and the Chaperone are MiC...the rest are made in the USA

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC