Graco SS1

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Wow!!!!! This is all I keep saying. I finally got to see one IRL today at Sears. My almost 22 month old, 32.5inch, 25lb son fit in this seat with about a 1/4 to 1/8 inch to spare!! I just can't believe it was actually true. Both my boys outgrew their infant carriers by 5 months due to height. Aiden was in an Evenflo On My Way Position Right V and only 12lbs and Mikkel was in a Graco Snugride (20lb, 26 in) and was 13lbs.

The really amazing thing was that I did not find it that heavy to carry... don't get me wrong, it was heavy, just not really much heavier than carrying just Mikkel. I am soooo getting one of these for the new baby that we are planning for spring'08. Yes, I'm one of "those" planning people. :rolleyes:

So I have a few questions...

I have read that small babies fit better in the SS1 than the Snugride. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Both boys were 6lbs 5oz coming home from the hospital (one 21in and the other 19in). They also stayed small for a long time (only 13lbs growing out of infant seat at 5 months old). I'm kind of expecting another one like them.

Does anyone know the slot heights on both seats for comparison?

I've been thinking that since I am definitely getting the SS1 for the next baby that maybe I should sell my Snugride now, but I want to be sure that the SS1 will fit a newborn better than my Snugride. The snugride I have is in the Metropolitan fabric, with a double headhugger, harness covers, winter boot and gracopedic foam.

The double headhugger is important to me as Mikkel used both until he was just over two months old and then I took out the small one and just used the big one until 4 months old. I also want harness covers as the straps were digging into Mikkel's neck today in the SS1. I also want the gracopedic foam just for comfort since we will be using the seat for up to two years and we do a lot of long car trips (6 hours). Is there a SS1 that comes with all these features?

If the SS1 does have all these features and is truly better for small babies, how much could I get for a top of the line Snugride manufactured in 2005 that is in brand new condition?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jen in Canada
Aiden 03/28/02, 35lbs, 43in, FF Radian
Mikkel 05/05/05, 25lbs, 32.5in, RF Marathon

ADS

skaterbabs

I believe the bottom slots on the SS1 are actually lower than the bottom slots on the SR, but I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I believe the bottom slots on the SS1 are actually lower than the bottom slots on the SR, but I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head.

Thanks, I just remembered carseatdata.org and they have it listed as 7 for the SS1 and 8 for the snugride. Good news!

Jen in Canada
Aiden 03/28/02, FF Radian
Mikkel 05/05/05, RF Marathon

Stresch

I asked about this recently, and I think the conclusion was that those measurements are wrong. The SS1 doesn't have particularly low slots. My daughter is (very) small, and she is still using the lowest SS1 slots at a year. There is no way it would have fit her as a newborn. Of course, she is small and all leg.

Dillipop

Here is my guy in our safeseat at 1 week, 2 months and 6 months. The first pic is in a paper diaper, the others he would have had a cloth diaper on, making his torso longer.

July2006pt3009.jpg

He came home at 8 pounds, 1 ounce, 20.5 inches

carseat.jpg

2 month check up had him at 15 pounds, 10 ounces and 23.75 inches

misc058.jpg

6 month check up- 19 pounds 6 ounces and 27.75 inches

He is still using the second slots at 7 months and has good room above his head. I love this seat and find it easy to carry, even with a 20 pound kid in it.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Here is my guy in our safeseat at 1 week, 2 months and 6 months. The first pic is in a paper diaper, the others he would have had a cloth diaper on, making his torso longer.

July2006pt3009.jpg

He came home at 8 pounds, 1 ounce, 20.5 inches

carseat.jpg

2 month check up had him at 15 pounds, 10 ounces and 23.75 inches

misc058.jpg

6 month check up- 19 pounds 6 ounces and 27.75 inches

He is still using the second slots at 7 months and has good room above his head. I love this seat and find it easy to carry, even with a 20 pound kid in it.

How far above the bottom slots were his shoulders when you brought him home? My guys don't reach 8lbs until they are almost two months old! Definitely daddy as I was never blessed with being that skinny! lol

Jen in Canada

Dillipop

He was just above them. Maybe 1/2 inch. It's so hard to tell when they are that little and just slump...I just measured the bottom slot and got 7-7 1/2 inches from the seating area. ThePeach80 has a safeseat and her daughter is about 10 pounds at 4 months! IIRC, she came home at about 6 1/2 to 7 pounds. She may have some pics for you.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I saw one IRL for the first time on Saturday, I put my ds who is 30 pounds and 36 inches in it (he was two a few weeks ago), and he was JUST at the point where I would say I would need to move him to a convertable that week. He had an inch of hard shell above his head, and he was at the weight limit. I was really surprised!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
6#7oz, coming home. The straps could only have tightened about 1/2"-1" more before she would've been too small to use it.
Ilana018.jpg

About a week later, 6#13oz.
Ilana042.jpg

Same time in the SR.
carseats085.jpg

If I can find my card reader, I'll post new pics from Monday. She's 4 mos tomorrow and right at 10#.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I like the headrest much better for the SS1 than the SR...I think it actually holds the head in kind of a bowl shape (that holds all sizes of head nicely)rather than that rainbow wraparound that needs two sizes...
I still use my SS1 as a carrier even with dd being 13 mos old (she's not walking yet, it's SO nice to have the convenience...)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
This was Tuesday.
carseats146.jpg

carseats147.jpg

She is so sweet! Thank you so much! Guess I'll be selling my SR then, as I definitely want a SS1 next time.

That style of headrest does seem to do the trick. The whole body pillow looks like it hugs her into the seat really nicely. The boot also looks like it comes up a lot higher on the SS1 than on the SR.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the photos.

Jen in Canada

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC