Question Need help w/convertible in Acura MDX

U

Unregistered

I am trying to decide what convertible to buy that will fit in my '06 Acura MDX. I am really interested in True Fit Premier or Recline. I also like Britax BLVD. I am concerned the TF will not fit RFing with the headrest on. I have read a lot of posts saying the seat does not fit once the headrest is on. I have an 11 week old and want to RF till at least 2 yrs or so.

I have not seen any of these in person. I don't have anywhere near where I live to check them out.

Any other carseats I should be checking out?

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Since the True Fit can go as upright as 35º, it usually fits quite well in most cars, even with the headrest on. At a newborn angle of 45º it would be tight with the headrest on.

In addition to the True Fit I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Radians, the Graco My Ride, the Safety 1st Complete Air, and the Evenflo Triumph Advance. The Boulevard would be after those.

Wendy

canadiangie

Yes, a TFP with the headrest on will work in an '06 MDX. I helped a family a few weeks ago wanting to verify that a TFP would fit behind the driver's seat of their MDX with the seat moved back enough for the husband to drive.

Right now, at 11wks, and under 22lbs you would install the seat in full recline mode with the headrest off. Once the baby has better head control you can install the seat more upright, which will later allow you to add the headrest and still have the TF fit.

U

Unregistered

Do you think it is worth it to spend the extra money to get the Premier over the Recline model? The only difference I see is the Premier has the rebound bar. I don't know if this is worth extra money.

I like the EFTA but it only goes to 50 lbs FFing. So far my DS appears to be a chubby little one approx 15lbs (23 in) at 11 weeks.

Like I posted earlier I have not seen any of these in person so I have nothing to go off of. Do the EFTA and TF have high backs (harness settings) so it accommodate a taller child?

Thank you!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Both the EFTA and TF have 17.5" top harness height, but the TF is much taller. Whether or not it's worth it to you to get the Premier or Recline version over just a regular one is up to you.

Wendy

mpk3

I am trying to decide what convertible to buy that will fit in my '06 Acura MDX. I am really interested in True Fit Premier or Recline. I also like Britax BLVD. I am concerned the TF will not fit RFing with the headrest on. I have read a lot of posts saying the seat does not fit once the headrest is on. I have an 11 week old and want to RF till at least 2 yrs or so.

I have not seen any of these in person. I don't have anywhere near where I live to check them out.

Any other carseats I should be checking out?

Thank you!

I have a 2010 MDX, so our cars might be a little different since I think 2007 MDX and on are considered the "2nd generation MDX" and are similar. But FWIW, my 1 1/2 year old is rear-facing outboard behind the driver's side in a Britax Marathon. It works beautifully.

A bunch of the wonderful women on here helped me figure out carseat configurations. I just wanted to let you know that they tested out a radian in a 2007 MDX and although it fit rear-facing behind the driver, it left the driver with almost no room to drive. Even a short driver would have trouble. They said it was a better idea to put it outboard passenger side, but I imagine the same issue would happen (no room) when someone wanted to ride up front in the passenger seat.

I now have a radian (for travel purposes to get a three across configuration) and plan to install it rear-facing in the center. That seemed to be the best spot for it. But again, this might be totally different for your car because it's a 2006.

Just wanted to give you that information about the radian (if it's on your list) and also tell you that our Marathon works well rear-facing.

Good luck! :)

JerseyGirl'sMama

Blondie had a 1st generation MDX and she had a True Fit in there for a newborn. Here is the thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=74327

I will send her a PM to see if she ever installed it with upper head rest on, although I can't imagine it being an issue.

I would go with the TF Premier with your vehicle. The harness adjuster is going to get buried when you install it at a more upright angle when the child is older. If you look at the pics in the linked thread above, you can just barely see the adjuster and that is with the full 45 degree angle. Bringing the angle up to a 35, is going to push that adjuster into the seat back.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And in the thread that JerseyGirl'sMama's linked to, you can see how pool noodles were required to get the appropriate newborn recline. By the time you need the headrest, the child should be old enough to be able to sit more upright and then you remove the noodles and the TF pretty much goes exactly at a 35° angle on the seat of an 07+ MDX. Sorry, can't say what angle it naturally goes to prior to '07.

The regular True Fit, Graco My Ride and Britax Marathon all fit nicely outboard in an 07+ MDX. DH did have to adjust the way he sits, he now sits more upright but has moved the seat bottom further back. This gives him the same leg room but a more upright seating position which gives more room for the convertible installed behind him. I seem to recall that the pre-'07 MDX actually has *more* room in the 2nd row that the 2nd generation MDX. I can't recall if that is just width or depth as well.

Blondie87

This is in a 2002 MDX. I had it up to 35 degrees with 1-2 year olds RFing. It fits awesome! It was the only RFing convertible seat I could use behind my husband driving because he was 6'5. Some pictures it may look pretty upright, but it was never more than 35 degrees.

*Child pictured is not moving in vehicle and was buckled just to take pictures, and harness is loose in most pictures*

IMG_0999-1.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg

You can see it in the back-
IMG_1000-1.jpg

IMG_0892-2.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone for your help! I ordered the TF Recline. I might be back asking for installation help!!!

Thank you Blondie87 for posting the pictures. It really helped me make a decision.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC