Are play yards worth it?

krasota

We only used ours to dry/store cloth diapers on vacation. But every kid is different. My son refused to be in the PnP, but I know some kids who happily sleep away from their parents while wee.

I can see how things might be different if you need a safe space to put baby if there are other small children.

ADS

leighi123

Our pack and play was great. We used it as a GIANT laundry basket!

For the actual baby? Useless. We used the changing table for a few weeks, but it had a 20lb limit on it (ds didnt hit 20lbs until after his second b-day), BUT it felt unsafe when he was like 10lbs. Same with the basinet, which we didnt really use anyway b/c he would scream when you put him in it, even at 4 days old.

I never used it as a baby cage so I dont know about it for that.

kidzndogz

No one has asked the most important question: Would you get the matching car seat?

lol no we already have a Keyfit and to be honest, I don't even like the Allstar pattern. I'm not a fan of sports stuff at all for babies/toddlers. But it only comes in that or giant pink flowers!!! :p

steph

lol no we already have a Keyfit and to be honest, I don't even like the Allstar pattern. I'm not a fan of sports stuff at all for babies/toddlers. But it only comes in that or giant pink flowers!!! :p

If I could get a new p n p I would soooooooo get the Chicco one. I lust for it:p LOL!!! But it doesn't have the co-sleeper thing just a regular bassinet.

I still might look at it if I where you:whistle:.

ETA: http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/playards/lullaby-lx/lullaby-lx-coventry.aspx

mommycat

We had just the play pen itself, no attachments at all. It was definitely worth it, especially with #2 so he wouldn't get stepped on when #1 was running around pushing large toys around.

Mom2three

We had a no frills graco PnP with a bassinet attachemnt with DD. It randomly vanished when she was about 18months. I loved it. We got a fancy schmancy Graco one for DS. He didn't really have a room or a place for his clothes. It was really handy to have a place to keep diapers/clothes/wipes before we made space for him. After we set up his room I still kept it set up above our living room with some extra outfits/diapers so I wasn't always running through the house when I needed to change him. It was also a safe place for him...because DD liked to snatch him and drag him around if I tried to pee or brush my teeth alone.
He never really slept it in until I took it to my mom's a few months ago. It has been handy, but I think I would have been just fine with a basic one too. I bought my SIL an older one that doesn't have any extras, just a basic square at a garage sale. She stashed it in her grandma's closet and never used it. I'm going to take it for camping.

skaterbabs

We had a wooden portable crib when Gregory was a baby that I adored - I tried to find the same thing again (I'd loaned it out and it was destroyed :( ) for Joy and couldn't except in daycare furniture-type catalogs.

I will say we used our playpen TONS. I think it's ridiculous that these days you can't easily find a full-size playpen, because ours was so helpful when the boys were small. When CJ was a baby we lived with the IL's and Cam's youngest brother was only 10, so there were LOTS of toys with small parts around. Having a full-size playpen was nice because it was a safe place for him to play.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've seen that baby trend thing, we have it at my BRU. I know kids are supposed to sleep on a 'firm' mattress, but it's a BOARD. Seriously. I knock on it, it sounds like a door, and people run screaming for the Gracos :rolleyes:

Mommy2Marcus

I used mine all the time. My mom bought mine used from a yard sale for $15. It has the changing table & full size bassinet. I used the bassinet portion for Marcus untill he was around 7 months old & then switched to the bottom portion. We traveled to my Nanny's & to my IL's alot during Marcus' first 2 years, so it was a must for me. When he was a NB we used it downstairs at my moms for a place for him to nap & a place to change his diaper. I used it till he was a little over 2 for him to sleep in. He even used it as a primary bed for awhile before while we were moving & trying to get paperwork taken care of. He & I were traveling quite a bit & staying with my family so we could be closer to DH. He slept in it great. It was a lifesaver for us!

kidzndogz

Okay so I guess we've established that a play yard is going to be a good thing for me to have...thanks!

Now do I get this thing to use as a cosleeper and then use as a play yard later, or do I figure out some other type of sleeping arrangement and just use the bare bones PnP I already have?

I don't wanna buy an Arm's Reach...they are just as expensive and can only be used as that one thing, so I might as well just get that BabyTrend one if I'm gonna get a cosleeper, you know?

A friend wants to give me her moses's basket thing...I guess I could stick him in that on the floor or something.

Dillipop

The full size arms reach turns into a play yard after being used as a co-sleeper. If you could find one used, it might be exactly what you are looking for.

natysr

The full size arms reach turns into a play yard after being used as a co-sleeper. If you could find one used, it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Exactly. The bassinet portion lowers all the way to the bottom, just like a regular pack n play.

Plus, the baby trend one was pretty expensive. I got a used full sized Arm's reach for $100.

kidzndogz

Exactly. The bassinet portion lowers all the way to the bottom, just like a regular pack n play.

Plus, the baby trend one was pretty expensive. I got a used full sized Arm's reach for $100.

Oh really? I didn't know that! I've never really inspected one, I thought they were just a cosleeper and never considered they could raise or lower.

My mom has a 20% off coupon plus a $10 gift card she won at some other baby shower so that would make it not too bad I guess.

natysr

Oh really? I didn't know that! I've never really inspected one, I thought they were just a cosleeper and never considered they could raise or lower.

My mom has a 20% off coupon plus a $10 gift card she won at some other baby shower so that would make it not too bad I guess.

Check your local craigslist first. You may want to save your coupon/GC for something else that you will need.

kidzndogz

Can I just hire you guys to tell me everything I need to buy? lol. Would be so much easier and less stressful. I hate making decisions.

I have the basics. Car seat, crib, diapers, clothes, boobs. But when people ask me what they can get me (which already makes me slightly awkward feeling) for my shower I want to make sure it's worthwhile stuff and not a waste.

Evolily

They have moses basket stands. If you're comfortable you could also place your bed against the wall, and the moses basket between your body and the wall (so you don't have the fall hazard or the suffocation hazard, but baby is still right there)

I like the full size play yards if you have the space. They are very much worth it in my experience, especially as the child gets more mobile.

April

Can I just hire you guys to tell me everything I need to buy? lol. Would be so much easier and less stressful. I hate making decisions.

I have the basics. Car seat, crib, diapers, clothes, boobs. But when people ask me what they can get me (which already makes me slightly awkward feeling) for my shower I want to make sure it's worthwhile stuff and not a waste.

Breast pump
breast pads
nursing pillow
receiving blankets
baby shampoo and lotion
gas medicine (for the baby)
wipes

A swing is nice. That's pretty much all I consider to be essential.

kidzndogz

Why am I stuck on wanting this damn crib set? I have this obsession with him having his own room and it looking nice. I know it's unnecessary and silly.

I think I just feel crappy about the situation I'm bringing him into and somehow him having a "nursery" will make me feel better? Blah I dunno.

I'm just not a big baby gear person.

Thanks for the list April! I've got (or am getting) most of that stuff. No shampoo or gas drops yet, I figure I'll handle that stuff later since I'd lose it when we move anyway.

April

The crib set was likely the least useful thing I purchased. The baby just ends up using the sheets for the longest time, and then they get peed on, so they are in the wash and some plain sheets on the crib anyways. The blanket doesn't get used until later, same with the bumper, if it gets used at all. By the time I could use the blanket with Riley, he had already made a different blanket his lovie, and wanted nothing to do with the crib set one.

natysr

I understand how you feel about wanting baby to have his own room. But your mind in in fairytale mode right now. Motherhood is not a fairytale. You can try to fake it. But you will end up wasting time and money doing it. :p

Add up the cost of all of the stuff you want to make that picture-perfect nursery. Crib, mattress, bedding, wall decals, matching lamp, changing table, curtains, night light etc.

Now, imagine what that money could buy you in carseats or strollers. :p

You need either a bathtub, or bath support of some sort. We are getting a bath cushion thing that can go in the sink or the tub.

Swaddling blankets. Target has the Aden & Anis ones for cheaper. They are slightly different.

You will need either a high chair, or tableside booster with seatbelt.

You will need a place to put baby so you can go to the bathroom, shower etc.

Space is an issue in our place, so I've picked out a graco swing that converts to a bouncy seat. the seat lifts off of the swing easily and I can move it around the house. It is a little more expensive, but there are deals online. I haven't bought it yet, but I hope I like it. I didn't want two baby seat things to have to trip over. Plus, some babies like the swing, some like the bouncy, and some like both. I figured if I got a 2 in 1, if the baby only liked one of them, I wouldn't feel like I wasted my money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC