Peg Perego Primo Viaggo 30/30 in 08 trailblazer

U

Unregistered

First kid due in a few weeks. Went to install my Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 30/30 today in my 2008 trailblazer. I'm using the latch system as well as the seat belt on the passenger side, but I can't get the level to be exactly in the center. Its just off a little bit. The reason is because the back seat is on an angle. Anything I can do to remedy this? Also the trailblazer has these annoying leather flaps that get in the way of the latches. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ADS

Twinklefae

First kid due in a few weeks. Went to install my Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 30/30 today in my 2008 trailblazer. I'm using the latch system as well as the seat belt on the passenger side, but I can't get the level to be exactly in the center. Its just off a little bit. The reason is because the back seat is on an angle. Anything I can do to remedy this? Also the trailblazer has these annoying leather flaps that get in the way of the latches. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi! Welcome to car-seat.org!

Good job remembering to install the seat before the baby arrives!

You can't use both the seat belt and the LATCH strap at the same time - the seat wasn't tested that way, and there is no telling what would happen in a collision.

Have you extended to angle adjuster on the base all the way? (Your manual will tell you how.) If you have and the seat still isn't at a 45* angle, which is what's required for newborns, then you can use a pool noodle length in the corner of the seat back to help tip the seat back a little further.

Also, feel free to post pictures of your seat if you continue to have trouble.

And I agree, those leather LATCH flaps can be a pain!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Congrats on your upcoming arrival!!

Like Twinkle said, you cannot use LATCH and the seatbelt at the same time. On page six your manual says to use LATCH or the seatbelt. On page seven it says to use LATCH if you have it *instead of* the seatbelt (which is BS, the seatbelt is not less safe than LATCH. However, I've found the Peg very difficult to install with the seatbelt, so maybe that's why they say it?).

Also so you know, the seat will be outgrown at 30 pounds OR when there's less than an inch of hard shell above the head. If your LO is like her mother, then you may make it to 34" in the seat because the baby is all legs. Short torsos are wonderful in the carseat world. Seats last longer.

Congrats!

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks very much for the responses. Here are some pictures of the seat in my car. As you can see, the level is slightly off center and I'm 100% sure that the adjustment knob is all the way in the down position. Any pointer to getting a little more level would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

24yzh8w.jpg

mhg56q.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, use pool noodles at the crease in your seat to recline it to the other edge of the green space. That'll be 45º (provided you're on a level surface).

Is it still on the side, or did you move it to the middle? I don't see the seatbelt with the LATCH, so that's good. :)

Wendy

dsantopietro

Yes, use pool noodles at the crease in your seat to recline it to the other edge of the green space. That'll be 45º (provided you're on a level surface).

Is it still on the side, or did you move it to the middle? I don't see the seatbelt with the LATCH, so that's good. :)

Wendy

Right now it's on the drivers side but I will be moving it to the passenger side. The 2008 trailblazer does not have Latch support for the middle seat and I'm not sure if I should put it in the middle and use one latch from the left and one from the right. I removed the seatbelt as you guys instructed. I'm a little confused as to where to put the pool noodles. Is it a problem that the front of the base goes off the edge of the seat at all?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You cannot borrow the inner anchors. Neither Chevy nor Peg Perego allows that.

You could install it in the middle with the seatbelt. You don't need to use LATCH. If you can't get a good installation there, then move it to a side. Either one. But the center is statistically safest.

See where I've put the pool noodles here? They're orange. I had to use five for my baby's seat. I suspect you won't need that many (most don't). Try one, then a pyramid of three, then five if necessary.

3817955503_3c1a55e7fb.jpg

3818768078_6d66e8b363.jpg

HTH!

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Last question. Putting the noodle there is safe and doesn't compromise the integity of the seat? Thanks.

Not in the least. A pool noodle is often specifically mentioned in manuals (the other accepted way being a tightly rolled towel) to adjust the recline. That's my baby's seat. :) She hasn't got five under there anymore, she's seven months old and is upright, so there's just one, but I wouldn't do anything to hurt her seat. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC