Marathon install

jenand22

We installed our marathon rfing without using the lockoffs (we couldn't get them to close over the dumb seatbelt!) We put the seatbelt in "automatic" locking mode and installed the seat that way, but it tilts to one side because the shoulder strap is making it tilt. :eek: We need some install help! How do we find someone who can help us install this seat so its done properly?

ADS

jenand22

Will using the versa-tether help with the tilting? I think we need to uninstall the seat and try again because its leaning pretty badly to one side. Also I noticed where the seat belt clicks in is kind of long (I guess its called the "female" end. Is it safe to twist it to shorten it? (I read about doing that on another post somewhere)

scatterbunny

Yes, twisting up to three full twists is safe, on the female end. :)

The tether might help with the tipping, but let's work on the lockoff problem(s) first, if you can use the lockoffs the tipping won't happen.

What was the problem with the lockoffs, exactly?

jenand22

We couldn't get the lockoffs to close over the seatbelts. I've only ever gotten it to close once and by the time I was done fighting with the stupid lock off the whole seat was VERY loose. I went ahead and installed the seat again behind the front passenger's seat. I couldn't get a good install in the middle because of the weird seatbelt. It has two clips and we couldn't get the lock off to close because the seat belt was extra thick on the first clip. (I think they made it that way so you could unhook the seatbelt to lay the seat down flat. :confused:) Plus the buckle was too long so it was getting in the way when we were trying to tighten the seatbelt. So in the middle we had two buckles that were both too long (one on each side of the carseat). It is installed now without using the lock off, but I'm going to try to get my dh out there to help me try one more time now that we are using the passengers seat. We should be able to get it tighter and be able to use the lock off in the passengers seat - hopefully!

Stresch

Are the rearfacing lockoffs on the Decathalon the same as the Marathon? We have had two problems with ours, both of which we've solved, so maybe one of these tricks will help.

The first problem was the little plastic button on the belt which would go into the lockoff. We are having the dealership remove it.

The second happened on Christmas Eve when we were reinstalling the seat in the cold and dark when we were tired and wanted to go home. The belt was slightly folded and the base wasn't lined up on the seat the usual way, so the lockoff kept popping open. If we have the seat base pushed all the way back and into the seat (and are careful that we just have two flat pieces of belt through the lock) we are fine.

arly1983

Yes, the rearfacing lockoffs are the same on both the Decathlon and Marathon. And we have had the same problems that Stresch had. You have to look out for the little plastic button. Also when you are trying to lock off the belts they have to be perfectly flat and in the middle of the lock off. Hope that helps.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I find on some vehicles with thick webbing for seatbelts, the lock-offs on the Britax carseats can be hard to close. A trick I use and works most of the time, is to spread the seatbelt webbings across the width of the lock-off so that the webbings are not perfectly on to of one another, then close the lock-offs.

Hope that works.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Check the book that came with your marathon, they change them a lot. If it says you can use a locking clip, leave you seat belt in ELR and use a locking clip, it will fix the tilt.

Dillipop

You can't use a locking clip with any Britax seat except the regent. I would reinstall the seat making sure when you lock the belt that the seat stays upright. You can do this by rocking back and forth on the seat while you are tightening the belt. Good luck!

scatterbunny

Yep, Britax says NO LOCKING CLIPS on any of their seats with built-in lockoffs. The tips given are good, though...stagger the lap/shoulderbelt a little so they are not directly on top of each other. Get the belt tight, but just as you're closing the lockoff let up on the tension on the belt.

jenand22

Thanks tons everyone - we'll go out and try it today once our little girl is down for a nap. I think the problem is the webbing on the belt makes it extra thick so that's why were having such a hard time getting the lockoff to close. I can close it but it keeps popping right back open! :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC