help needed

sabbie

My in-laws have decided to buy a car seat for their vehicle and went out and bought an Evenflo Summit which I have told them they will need to return. I may be overreacting but the low harness weight of 40lbs is a big deal to me, specifically because at 2 1/2 my son is over 35lbs and 40" tall already. So now I am looking for suggestions for a long term seat for their vehicle (2010 Lexus RX). We currently have 2 Britax Marathons that we love but we are wondering if something with a higher harness weight and taller shell would be better for them. I just went to buy the Regent only to find out they are discontinues now so I am at a loss. Suggestions?? Thanks so much in advance!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome,

You're right, the Summit (Cosco, not Evenflo) is not a good choice for your child. A Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier 85, or maybe Safety 1st Apex 65 or Evenflo Maestro would be a better option for a secondary car.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
An Evenflo Maestro might be an economical choice depending on your son's age and size, and a Graco Nautilus would accommodate your son much longer than his Marathons will, but might I gently suggest that if you wish to have control over what seat your ILs have in their car (which I understand), *you* purchase the seat.

sabbie

An Evenflo Maestro might be an economical choice depending on your son's age and size, and a Graco Nautilus would accommodate your son much longer than his Marathons will, but might I gently suggest that if you wish to have control over what seat your ILs have in their car (which I understand), *you* purchase the seat.

ha, no need to be gentle! As soon as I told them we wouldn't be comfortable with the seat they had bought I also told them we would buy it for them knowing what we would want him in would be more expensive then the one they purchased. To be honest they just walkin into Target one day decided to buy a car seat saw it went to 100lbs and figured it would work not really thinking about anything like 5 point harness, height, ect.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was leaning toward the Frontier 85 since I love my Britax seats so glad to see the repeat recommendations.

sabbie

One last question, is there any advantage to getting a convertible vs. harnessed booster? Everything I was looking at is a harnessed booster because of the longer use but would buy a convertible and just get a booster style later if it's safer this way. Thanks

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That depends. How over 35 pounds is he? If he's 35.2 I'd get a convertible and rear face him. If he's 42 then I wouldn't and I'd go for a combination seat.

If he's in their car only rarely I'd probably go for a combination seat so it would last longer.

Wendy

sabbie

That depends. How over 35 pounds is he? If he's 35.2 I'd get a convertible and rear face him. If he's 42 then I wouldn't and I'd go for a combination seat.

If he's in their car only rarely I'd probably go for a combination seat so it would last longer.

Wendy

He was 35.8 at the last appointment about a month ago but doubt he is any bigger now.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, I was close. LOL

I'd rear face him in a convertible then. Either a My Ride, Safety 1st Complete Air, or a Radian.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC