Which Birth Experience is best?

Which is the best birth experience (in your opinion)?

• Vaginal Medicated Birth

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • C-Section

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Natural(no meds of any kind) Vagianl Birth

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Home Birth

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ADS

Lea_Ontario

I have had 3 completely natural, unmedicated, vaginal births.
The first at a hospital with a midwife attending me.
The second and third at home, in water, with just my family and a doula present.

As similar as the births were, they still were VERY different births, with different high and low points.

Bear's birth

Bug's birth

Boo's birth

canadianmom2three

Would have voted for home birth, but have never experienced it:( just couldn't convince DH (we lived a fair drive from the hospital at the time). For me, the natural was certainly the best thanks to some very patient and relaxing midwives - I remember feeling so groggy and disconnected after the medicated birth of my first DS. That being said, and knowing that not everyone can make it through a natural birth, or even a vaginal birth, I think you have to go with whatever is best for you and baby at the time. For me though, second time around I was determined to try it without drugs, although not sure I would make it:eek: . It was better than I thought, and that led to me being sure I wouldn't need drugs for #3 and determined to go it at home (but foiled by DH:rolleyes: ) At any rate, 3 healthy babies = best birth experience possible:D

Dillipop

FAST!!!

I can't really say what is best. I was induced with my first and went pretty natural until about a half hour before baby came and I got the epidural.

#2 was born at home by accident. Labor was 1 hour from water breaking/first contraction until I had baby in my arms. It was so fast that I didn't need medication.

I think, fast, unmedicated and in whatever planned environment you choose would be the best.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
FAST!!!

I can't really say what is best. I was induced with my first and went pretty natural until about a half hour before baby came and I got the epidural.

#2 was born at home by accident. Labor was 1 hour from water breaking/first contraction until I had baby in my arms. It was so fast that I didn't need medication.

I think, fast, unmedicated and in whatever planned environment you choose would be the best.

I think if this would happen I could handle doing naturally. I think I could've done it naturally too if ds didn't take soooo long to come. I just wouldn't want to do naturally if I had another super long labour and then ended in a C-section, which I know I can't predict anyways!

LuvBug

whichever gets that baby out ;) lol!

I love the idea of a homebirth, but I couldnt do it. I would love to have a natural birth at somewhere other than my house. Someone else's house, a hotel, a shopping center, a front yard, a birthing center, or even the hospital lol! anywhere but the house I currently live in. I just couldnt do a home birth there because Id be too afraid of messing up the new carpet lol! Id be so stressed out about ruining all our remodeling that I would end up ruining the birth lol!
This is just assuming I was pregnant now lol! but I cant get pregnant while I live in this house either, what if my water breaks while Im standing in my room? it would ruin the flooring and probably soak through to the room below it lol!
We are remodeling the house to sell and it has been so hard because we are doing it all ourselves, with my luck I would ruin something. Id probably try to have a tub and it burst and flood the first floor or something lol!
We wont be moving in the next year or so, but in the near future. We still have a rec room, master bedroom, and 2 bathrooms to remodel before its ready. We are also working on the landscaping. Since we are doing it all ourselves its gonna be a while lol!
anyway... IF I have another and I live somewhere that is more baby friendly then I will probably want to do a homebirth there. I had DS at our hospital's women and children center. They waited on me hand and foot and the food was wonderful! I always heard rumors about hospital food being crap, but theirs was better than what I cook lol! We even had chick-fil-a sandwiches to pick from! delivered fresh daily! Id be tempted to have my next child there as well just because of how well I was treated. It was like being in a full service hotel, the rooms were nice, the bed was nice, the pillows were great! I might feel differently down the road... but I dont plan on anymore children, so its not really something to worry about.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I've had a c/s, a fairly unmedicated vaginal, and a medicated vaginal (at least the last hour, lol) and it was my favorite. :)

smurf

I had all 3 at the hospital, with an epidural and oxytocin drip and all went extremely well. I can't imagine giving birth without an epidural... I guess I must have a low pain threshold, lol. I find contractions unbearably painful.

Kellyr2

I voted homebirth since it's the safest option for lowrisk women. However, other than totally unnecessary interventions (which i feel puts the baby at risk - ofr course if they're necessary, the pros outweigh the cons), I feel that the "best" option is the one that leaves the mother and baby healthy and safe, and leaves the mother happy and empowered by her experience.

Morganthe

whichever gets that baby out ;) lol!.

AMEN SISTA!!! :D
But my initial gut response to the question is whichever has the highest chance of Mother & Infant survival! Not being phobic, but there's been too many circumstances (along with mine) where I've known women & their babies almost dying due to stresses regarding birth. It's a trade-off being able to walk upright and have large brains than having easy predictable birth experiences.
But personally, I'd love a little bit more sympathy & respect from hospital staff than there is now and has been traditionally. We're not just walking wombs!!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I say, any birth that ends up with a healthy baby is best :)

I went vaginal, no meds, with my first, and vaginal, a shot or two of something in my IV for the second and third ones (which had longer labors....)... The staff at the third thought I was some kind of freak for not wanting an epidural, but I was more scared of that than birth!

:)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I refrained from voting ;)

We started out with an out-of-hospital birth at a freestanding birth center with midwives. We ended up with an emergency c-section b/c Nolan's heartbeat was dropping fast. His legs were so tangled in the umbilical cord that his oxygen supply was getting cut off with each contraction. It took the OB quite awhile to untangle his legs from the umbilical cord before she could even remove him from me.

I have friends who ended up with c-sections after planned homebirths and are still dealing with the disappointment. WTF??? I was just so happy to hold my wonderful, healthy baby boy afterward that I didn't care how they got him out... I have no regrets :D

LuvBug

I think we are all nodding to our responses of 'whichever will get mom and baby out healthy' lol! In the end, that really is the most important thing.

Whatever method you are most comfortable with is probably the best for you. If you feel uncomfortable then you may stress and may cause yourself to have complications. Like I said in my previous post, Id be so uptight in this house Id probably squeeze my legs shut lol!
I say researching your options is a must though. Knowing what you have to pick from and what your options are like will help you choose the birthing option most right for you, which should lead you to having a happy and healthy birthing experience.
If I had to do it all over again there isnt a thing I would change about my birth(except to have gotten a good night sleep the night before I went into labor, but that really wasnt part of the birthing experience lol!) or my stay afterwards(and I wished I could have stayed longer!).

skipspin

For me, I had a great totally natural hospital birth with DD. I have to say that it was about two hours from when I put the gown on till I delivered, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, although I had planned to go natural if at all possible. The Dr I ended up with wasn't my favorite, but other than break my water, catch the baby, and stitch me up he didn't do a whole lot, so it wasn't bad, just not the greatest bedside manner I have ever seen!

Since that went so well and I hated the iv and having to stay 24 hours, this time I am planning a birth center birth with a midwife. Basically a home birth- just not at my house :) Send lots of "first week of March" prayers this way!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Since that went so well and I hated the iv and having to stay 24 hours, this time I am planning a birth center birth with a midwife. Basically a home birth- just not at my house :) Send lots of "first week of March" prayers this way!

Sending them right now :)

mominabigtruck

Well me personally I want drugs as soon as I get pregnant, the whole time I'm pregnant and for a couple weeks afterward. I had very easy pregnancies I'm just a crabby ***** when I'm pregnant so anything that makes me feel better I'm all for. I absolutely had to have an epidural because I was induced both times because my babies were big and I was NOT having a c-section. I think you should do whatever floats your boat and feels good for you but I really don't understand the whole dissapointment some women say that have. As long as you have a healthy baby, what's to be dissapointed about?

LuvBug

Joy- congrats on your new baby soon to be born!

Id send you first week of march vibes, but Im sending my sis so many DO NOT GO the first week of march vibes, that they might get crossed lol! She is due the 9th but wants the 5th(03/05/07 get it?). She just cant go into labor until after 12pm on the 7th lol! I have 2 bio tests that week, on the 5th and 7th and we have never not been there for eachother! Im suppose to be her doula and massage her perinium for her LOL!(a little awkward... but not like that isnt what Im going to school for anyway lol! will be good practice)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Well me personally I want drugs as soon as I get pregnant, the whole time I'm pregnant and for a couple weeks afterward. I had very easy pregnancies I'm just a crabby ***** when I'm pregnant so anything that makes me feel better I'm all for. I absolutely had to have an epidural because I was induced both times because my babies were big and I was NOT having a c-section. I think you should do whatever floats your boat and feels good for you but I really don't understand the whole dissapointment some women say that have. As long as you have a healthy baby, what's to be dissapointed about?

I wasn't dissapointed nor do I feel that I missed something. The idea of having a VBACH actually scares me more then the thought of a C-section.

Also not sure how to word this, I have heard that sex isn't the same after having babies vaginally, anyone want to comment on this?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC