May get a new FF only car seat...

mykidsmylife

So I am thinking of getting a new FF seat for when Seth goes FF.

I am looking for something with great SIP since we travel at high speeds on the Autobahn.

I have a Blvd but I want something without a base.

We tried the Nautilus and I hate it. The crotch strap pinches his legs.

I am not a fan of the Frontier. It was too hard to install with SPB and I am not sure if my belts are long enough for LBP..

Is the FR85 easier to install?

What other ideas are there?

I drive an 07 Dodge Caravan and he would be using the rear bench.

Thanks

ADS

monstah

I'm a Radian lover all the way. You could get an XT for the extra SIP. A CA may work too. It only harness's to 50 but IIRC, he isn't heavy for his age, is he?

I have a hard time swallowing any Britax seat in the FF position. I may be in the minority but after the Regent tests, the Marathon tests, I personally just don't have faith in Britax unless they are RF.

armywife12

The frontier worked great in our 08 grand caravan with lbp but that was in the center captains chairs. I never tried it in the back. We really liked our maestro and Caleb had tons of growing room.

tiggercat

I have a hard time swallowing any Britax seat in the FF position. I may be in the minority but after the Regent tests, the Marathon tests, I personally just don't have faith in Britax unless they are RF.

especially not in a Caravan.

fyrfightermomma

How much does he weigh? Does he gain fast?

Like I tell everyone else, a YS is a good option. Great SIP, no base, makes a good booster, installs great in most any car, and easy to use. I have it in an 06 Caravan so the same as you and she's been in every position but is currently in the 3rd row on the driver seat with a seatbelt.

It just depends on if you have a little one, if you can snag one where you live, and if your future kids don't need a higher weight seat. It could last him easily to booster age if he's smaller (i think you said he was).

arly1983

How much does he weigh? Does he gain fast?

Like I tell everyone else, a YS is a good option. Great SIP, no base, makes a good booster, installs great in most any car, and easy to use. I have it in an 06 Caravan so the same as you and she's been in every position but is currently in the 3rd row on the driver seat with a seatbelt.

:yeahthat:

How fast do you think you would need it? If you could wait until the YS came out with a higher weight limit it would be perfect. :thumbsup:

hrice

"I have a hard time swallowing any Britax seat in the FF position. I may be in the minority but after the Regent tests, the Marathon tests, I personally just don't have faith in Britax unless they are RF."

Ok so I own ALL Britax seats...what is the problem with them FF?

emandbri

I'd say a radian XT too. As folks here know I was planning to get something for Benjamin after he outgrew the marathon, frontier, nautilus etc and in the end put him in the radian and bought a second one for Elizabeth.

Pixels

"I have a hard time swallowing any Britax seat in the FF position. I may be in the minority but after the Regent tests, the Marathon tests, I personally just don't have faith in Britax unless they are RF."

Ok so I own ALL Britax seats...what is the problem with them FF?

The Regent failed some testing in 2006, just before the advisory came out. The Marathons was more recent. More on the Marathon at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=108595.

Kat_Momof3

I'd probably just use the Radian FF... I love Radians for skinnier kiddos ff... and Seth looks pretty slim to me.

I might go ahead and splurge on an XT to give him the extra side support and protection from the wings, though... depends on budget.

otherwise, since you are in germany, why not import something from sweden that would rearface to 55+lbs... unless you prefer an american seat.

mykidsmylife

He is barely 30lbs so he is pretty skinny.
I was thinking the XT and I can get it installed easily. I defiently want the side impact of the XT wings.

I am really not fond of any Britax seat (mainly convertible) FF either which is why I want to sell a Blvd. I just dont think I will use it.

So maybe the XT then.

Kat_Momof3

hmm... but if he's only 30lbs, I don't see him being 40lbs until he's like... 5.

What about a german recaro?? you could get the young sport... (only difference being no chest clip) or the one that does not convert to booster that is the next most similar... (since you are in germany) Young Expert/Young Expert Plus... they have where you can recline them (without uninstalling the seat), which might be nice.

I just keep thinking that your options are wider because of being in another country and having a lightweight child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC