car saftey kit

myrmom

Ok if I want to put a car saftey kit together what should I have it in?

A couple of things I was thinking of
Flashlight
seatbelt Cutter

what else would you recommend....

Can you buy a car saftey kit already put together?

ADS

beeman

Duct tape, booster cables, etc. I got one a couple years ago at costco and it's got emergency blankets and reflective markers and everything like that. So far all I've used is the booster cables though ;) .

skaterbabs

waterproof matches & kindling
rope
warm gloves
emergency blanket
non-perishable food (raisins, granola, nuts, ect.)
a bucket for water
sterilization tabs for water
medical kit

You can usually put together a better quality kit yourself.

southpawboston

agreed. the best kits have the tools that YOU think are important. in addition to the above items i would add:

multifunction tool like a leatherman knife
more than one blanket
can of fix-a-flat
emergency flares
jug of distilled water

skaterbabs

More than 1 blanket is definately important. The starter on the Suburban died last week whle the whole family was out at 11 pm in 35* weather. The kids were very glad I had 3 fleece blankets in the car. lol

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My kit includes:

Nonperishable foods
Water
Blankets
Hot & cold packs
Hand sanitizer
Snow boots + spare winter clothes
Matches
LED flashlight & radio (winds up, no batteries)
Mini fire extinguisher
First Aid kit
Medical information + kin contact list
Spare glasses
Maps
Flares
Mini tool kit with Swiss Army knife
Duct tape
Jumper cables
$20 cash + copy of ID & spare keys (whistle on the keychain)
Tissues + plastic bags
(whistle on my keychain)

Leila also has her spare toy backpack in the trunk (for emergencies as well as for when I have meetings, but no babysitter).

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Remember, the selt belt cutting should be in your glove box, or another safe place that you can reach while still in your seat belt!

Duckieheart

We also bought a kit at Costco several years ago. We've used it many times. It has a flashlight that we've needed many times. It also has reflectors, and a small air pump. However- we will add to it now that we have the baby (if she ever comes out). We've never really carried water or food with us, but we will for her. And blankets...

southpawboston

reflectors are a great idea... i'll have to add to my kit.

also, i'll add here that if you don't normally keep a cell phone charger in your car, you should. even if you never use it, if you get stranded and your phone dies, you can always plug it in (assuming you didn't get into a collision which killed the car's battery).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I know others have given great lists but I just thought I would add this Get prepard site it has some good info for being prepared for emergencies and making plans.

beeman

More than 1 blanket is definately important. The starter on the Suburban died last week whle the whole family was out at 11 pm in 35* weather. The kids were very glad I had 3 fleece blankets in the car. lol

- a hammer to hit the starter with when it dies. Sometimes it works :) .

I also recommend the AAA Car Emergency Kit line. The kits are a terrific start toward preparedness. The great thing about the kits is that they have plenty of room inside to add all the personal items that the kit is missing. These kits really have it all in a really useful bag and you cant really beat the price even if you started piecing the kit together yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Having your own kit or a commercially available one in your car is a great idea. I got one in a grab bag gift for the holidays last year!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I also recommend the AAA Car Emergency Kit line. The kits are a terrific start toward preparedness. The great thing about the kits is that they have plenty of room inside to add all the personal items that the kit is missing. These kits really have it all in a really useful bag and you cant really beat the price even if you started piecing the kit together yourself.

I just wanted to add that I checked out the link, and you can buy these by the case as well. If you're buying for two vehicles, you can buy the case, which comes with four kits, and give the two extra to family members or friends as gifts.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
A small or folding shovel, sand, carpet squares/cardboard for help getting out when stuck. (Can't tell you how many times the shovel has come in handy, especially when I drove my zero clearance Civic.) A plow or snow blower can cover or build a huge ridge around your vehicle in seconds/ heavy or drifting snow piles up during the course of a day at work.

Spare coat/sweatshirt, mittens, and ice scraper.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC