Top tether-how tight?

scariestone

We retrofitted our top tether anchor in today(yay!) and I was wondering how tight the strap needs to be. Its in an extremely awkward place under that shelf thing under the back window and we had to shove the tether assembly through between the shelf and the back seat. So because of that its pretty hard to tighten. Its taut but not as tight as the belt holding the carseat in if that makes sense. Is that tight enough or should we try to get it tighter?

Also, the seat installed now is a generations 65 but we'll be putting in a frontier 85 soonish and I was wondering if its ok to use the tether already in place. I assume a big N-O on that one but it would save is having to shove another one behind the seat. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you take pictures? I cannot imagine how you're doing this.

It needs to have the slack taken out of it. That's all.

What do you mean, can you use that tether? The anchor? Or the tether attached to the seat? The tether attached to the seat is not removable, so you can't change it between seats. The anchor is universal, so you can use it with any seat out there, barring a special needs seat or an EZ-on harness.

Wendy

2BunniesMommy

You just need to get the slack out.

I am not sure I understand your second question. Do you mean using the strap that is attached to the Generations with the Frontier? If that is what you are asking, the answer is indeed a huge NO. If you meant something else, please try to rephrase it, and I am sure you will get an answer.

Hope this helps.

scariestone

That was what I meant. Sorry, I'm half asleep. I didn't realize most top tethers were permanently attached to the seat. The one on the generations isn't. It can come out through a slot in the back similar to how you reposition the crotch strap. I didn't figure it was allowed to mix and match tethers with seats but I figured I would ask anyway.

And yes, I can't believe volvo designed it to be that way either but that's what it said in our manual and was confirmed by the volvo employee. I can't take a picture at the moment because its dark out but behind the back seat there's a ledge under the window. Under that is a steel frame where there's a bolt hole and that's where the loop for the tether is bolted in. So, in order to get the tether hook to the loop, it goes between the back seat and the ledge to the loop on the underside of the ledge. Because of that there is only a couple inches between the back of the seat and the loop and the strap has to be pulled toward the back of the seat to tighten it. Big pain in the butt but we did get all the slack out of it. Hopefully that made more sense but I can take pictures of it tomorrow if you want to see it.

2BunniesMommy

If my Generations65 was here instead of at MIL's house I would be looking at it now to see if mine looks detachable. The Frotier has a completley different type, so even if they were interchangable, which they never are, it wouldn't be anyway. It comes from 2 points at the back of the seat, and then meet and make a V shape. This is assuming that the Frontier85 is the same as the original Frontier and any other Britax seat with a tether I am aware of.

That sounds like a huge pain the way it is set up. I would just do my best to not have to switch out car seats too much. Once I got it in there, I would want to leave it!

scariestone

Do'oh you're right I forgot about it being a versa tether. :doh: So that was a completely moot question! There will be no carseat switcheroo going on once the frontier is in our car. Once its in its staying in permanently and the generations will be used it MIL's car and for when we fly. That's assuming I can even get a tight install on the frontier which I'm a bit worried about.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC