Booster for kid who is 4 years/40lbs?

triscuitsmom

I'm trying to figure out a workable solution for when the new baby is born in September for my Mom's car. She drives us to appointments and such and right now keeps two carseats installed at all times in her vehicle. She needs the third seat free, so even when we have three kids we can't leave three seats always installed in there.

Right now we have a (old limit) Radian and a My Ride 65 installed, both rearfacing. Our 3.5 year old is in the MR65 and the 1 year old in the Radian.

So my thought was to put the newborn in the Radian when he/she is born and put our next oldest in the MR65 (he'll be 19 months at that point). I was wondering if it would be a viable option to keep a high backed booster in her trunk so that for short trips in town we can just put the booster in for T. That way she still has her seat open, and we aren't caught without a seat for him if she picks us up when we aren't at home.

This plan will only work if he's 40 pounds by then (which I'm about 95% sure he will be, he's getting close now). For one thing it's the law here (Canada) but also I wouldn't be comfortable with him in a booster at four unless he was at least 40lbs. If he is indeed 40lbs he will not be able to fit in either seat rearfacing so this will also eliminate having to flip one of them forward facing if she picks just him up and not the other two.

Thoughts? He'll still be harnessed in our own vehicle when we get one, and he'll be harnessed in a Radian in my Moms car if we are doing a longer trip to Toronto to visit family. The booster would be for short trips around town, maybe once a week? Maybe not even that often.

If we do do a booster would a turbo be our best option or is there another better one for small riders? Ordering locally would be nice so I can return if it won't fit or he can't handle it maturity wise, but I will order online from somewhere with a good return policy too (I'm in Canada).

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, a Turbo.

The RSTV is not a legal option for you, is it? That would be my first choice, a wearable five point harness. But if it's not, then a Turbo. Or the Parkway SG if it's up north.

Wendy

triscuitsmom

I don't think we have the RSTV here, or anything like it :(

Toys R Us carries the Parkway SG I just noticed on their website. If that's a better/safer choice than the Turbobooster I could probably get them to order one to the store for me (I'm not really sure how that works with TRU, I know Sears does it, but we have a TRU here so I could go in and check). I know our local TRU also has the turbobooster instock in several colours.

triscuitsmom

what about a Nautilus?

That won't help because we'd still either have to leave it installed all the time or else worry about it being installed correctly with top tether and proper tightness of seatbelt etc. We do have seats that will work for him still forward facing harnessed, I'm just not sure it's as workable an option for proper install (since it can't stay installed) every time as a booster is.

gigi

How about a Go Hybrid booster? If your mom has a top tether it might be a good solution as it goes in and out really quickly and is small enough to fit in her trunk.

triscuitsmom

How about a Go Hybrid booster? If your mom has a top tether it might be a good solution as it goes in and out really quickly and is small enough to fit in her trunk.

Yep :thumbsup: There are top tethers in all three seating positions in the back.

I'm not sure we have the Go Hybrid in Canada, but I'll check :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i agree the turbo is a fine choice. The PWSG would add an extra point, but honestly, I've never seen a turbo allow the lap belt to ride up anyway, so I'm not sure it's necesary. My dd fit into the turbo beeee-yutifully at 4/40.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC