Hook-on chair. Chicco or Phil and Teds?

skipspin

**Update, post #20**

So, I have an ancient hook on chair from when I was a baby that was used for camping. I had it in our camper since it takes up no space. In my cleaning it got brought inside and DS2 LOVES it. It, however, doesn't have any belt, it hard plastic, and is probably a death trap. I only use it when I'm in the kitchen so I can keep an eye on him since I'm sure he can wiggle out.

Anyway, I think I want to get a nice one and ditch the PF Space Saver. Actually, my SIL wants it for her baby so it works out. It will be DS2s birthday present because there's nothing else in this wide world that he needs.

So, which one? (DS2 will be 1 in two weeks. I'd like it to work until he's at least 2.) Oh, and I know there is the other fancy Chicco one, but I think it's overkill for a 1 year old. I want something small and minimalistic. I'll be hooking it on my table and my counter.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Ted-27s-MeToo-Chair-Black/dp/B000H6R0T6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1267485182&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Phil and Ted's MeToo Chair - Black: Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-TravelSeat-Hook-Chair-Adventure/dp/B000YFY5U2/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1267485007&sr=1-15"]Amazon.com: Chicco TravelSeat Hook On Chair, Adventure: Baby[/ame]

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had both of those! We far preferred the Phil N Ted's. Here's why: It's solid aluminum and nylon, it's way easier to wash when you do child led feeding and let your kid have freedom with food (oh, that IS a creative way to say, "I just plopped stuff in front of Leah, and if she could pick it up, she could eat it", isn't it? lol). The Chicco was fine, if you have a neater kid and less need to constantly remove it to throw it in the sink to wash (spoon feeding, or yeah, that rare neat kid...). Mine didn't hold up too well to that kind of abuse, and I think dh did something to the connector so it didn't work right (nothing to break on the P&T).
Leah even found the P&T plenty comfortable up to age almost 3, even though it's smaller. The Chicco was dead and gone by the time she was that age so I can't compare it.
But I do like the looks of that nifty rotating Chicco, have you considered it? I like how it has a tray. (duh, just read that last sentence of yours, ok, never mind that fancy one :))

NVMBR02

I had a similar one by Chicco when dd was born. I really liked it. It was a bit of a pain to get on and off the table because you had to screw the clamp shut but other than that it did the job. We have the chicco 360 now and we love it. Anyway, I think chicco makes a great product.

That being said good friends of ours have the Phil and Teds and they like it a lot also. They are talking about getting the new phil and teds one and sending the one they have to grandma's house. I am not sure when the new model comes out.

CaseyRN

We have a P&T and love it. Well, we don't use it anymore but we used it until DD was a little over 2. We actually used ours in resteraunts because DD was so short that in the highchairs her nose with be at table height and she just couldnt eat that way. It worked great for us. It held up very very well and was very easy to wipe clean and super lightweight.

Chex

I don't have experience with either of those, so I can't vote for them. But I LOVE our Graco hook-on highchair. It's super easy to clean and I like that it's not fabric. My big 2 1/2 yo still sits in it everyday. We've had it since DD1 was a baby, so it's on its 4th kid right now and still going strong.

Pixels

I don't have experience with the P&T's, but I have the Chicco. We don't use it as an everyday seat, but we use it for restaurants and grandparents'. No complaints.

keri1292

I don't have experience with either of those, so I can't vote for them. But I LOVE our Graco hook-on highchair. It's super easy to clean and I like that it's not fabric. My big 2 1/2 yo still sits in it everyday. We've had it since DD1 was a baby, so it's on its 4th kid right now and still going strong.

I agree. The others you posted look a million times cooler, but I loved our Graco. I just can't picture a 1yo self-feeding in a fabric chair. Oatmeal, spaghetti, etc. :eek: I put the whole Graco chair in the dishwasher. :thumbsup: Too bad that is not acceptable for the baby. :p

BananaBoat

Another vote for the Phil & Ted's Me Too chair :thumbsup:

It's our primary high chair for DD & we take it everywhere we go instead of using restaurant chairs. It's awesome & the "fabric" is super easy to clean. I love that there aren't any tiny crevasses to clean! My friend has the Chicco for her DS who is the same age as DD & I don't like her chair nearly as much. It's more fiddly & doesn't work on as many different types of tables as the P&T.

skipspin

Okay, so now I'm looking at the P&Ts or Inglesina. So much for narrowing it down.

The graco one has some good points, but DS2 has a habit of turning backwards so I think a fabric one would be better. Yes, he turns around even when buckled. I also like not having to buckle him like I could in the Inglesina since it isn't "open" on the bottom.

Maybe I'll see which one I can get a better deal on.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The P&T has a floating harness, like a Peg Perego stroller. It needed a chest clip on the back to keep it on Leah's shoulders, though, so I used a twist tie :)

skipspin

But I do like the looks of that nifty rotating Chicco, have you considered it? I like how it has a tray. (duh, just read that last sentence of yours, ok, never mind that fancy one :))

Yeah, in my recent purusal (is that a word?) of the BuyBuyBaby I saw the rotating one. It's just more than I want and I can't picture my 30# 3 year old using it. It also looks like the food would end up all around the baby since the tray doesn't seem to come right up to their tummy. Maybe I'm wrong- it's just not for me. The tray idea is nice, but he throws stuff off his FP tray already to feed the dog, so it's pointless since he'll mess up the table anyway. LOL.

They had the Chicco and P&Ts, but not the Inglesia.

InternationalMama

We have the rotating Chicco with the tray. Even though you're not considering it, I thought I'd post. The tray takes a bit of learning to figure out how to get it on and get it really snug, but once you do it really does keep the food off of the rest of the chair very well, filling what would otherwise be a gap for food to fall between the table and the child. But the turning mechanism means the thing is even more complicated to clean up if you do need to clean the actual chair. We rarely do that though since it's only occasional use. I like the fact that you can rotate the chair around so the child can sit in the chair and see what's happening somewhere else. I imagine if you were using it with a spoon fed baby this feature would be great because the could actually face -you- instead of just the table.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I'm glad you posted this because I was just starting to debate if I should get one of these for #5, and if so, what one....

You covered every single question/issue I had about them...

I'm watching a couple on ebay...but I also have some amazon.com $$$ from Swagbucks...

Do these ever come up on the babysteals type sites?

LeeLi

Do these ever come up on the babysteals type sites?

I have seen them on deal-a-day baby sites for sure. Couldn't tell you which one though since I look at kids.woot, babysteals, kidsteals, mamabargains, baby half off, baby gaga and greenbabybargains daily. I'm thinking either baby gaga or kids.woot though.

montanamama

we love our Phil and Teds!! we use it everywhere!! my dd could get out of her 5pt harness highcair at 11months but at 22months still can not get out of the phil and ted!! we use it at home attached to the kitchen counter when i am cooking, on our sailboat to keep her in one place, when we go out to eat.....the list goes on!! when it gets durty i just plop it in a sink of hot water and dish soap and cleans up great!! at it folds flat and fits in a large diaper bag! We got it when diapers.com was doing a sale on Britax seats with a $50.00 gift card after purchase........so it was free!!!!!!
We love it!!!

skipspin

So, another member here was selling her P&Ts seat so I bought it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the seat. It's perfect for me and I would have bought it with my 30% off coupon at BBB if I hadn't found it used. I've been happy with my FPSpacesaver for what it is, but I'm passing it to my SIL who has a younger baby and I'll be using the P&Ts for everyday as of this week. I regularly move it from the countertop to my table and it's petty fast- and worth it to not have another big piece of baby gear in a small house. It fit in the wood picnic table at DS's birthday party too. The harness is great and DS2 cannot get out of it, but it's fast and easy to take on and off. The seat is simple and functional. I use a thin plastic placemat on the top of the table to help make clean-up easier since there is no tray, but it's not necessary. The nylon is easy to clean with a wet rag, although most often my 70# Rottie seat cleaner takes care of the seat the second the baby is removed- and sometimes before- and I just wipe off anything sticky.

So, while it's not the frilly full-of-features product is does a great job and I'd give it 5 stars!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC