Question True Fit fit, does this make sense?

Ladyl

I lurk here a lot and feel like I should have this figured out, but I'm confused and overwhelmed. I *think* my 3.5 is close to outgrowing his TF by height. At his last Dr's appt in January he was 36 lbs and about 39 inches, but he has gained height since then. He has always been tiny, like 3rd percentile small, but now he seems so big (I know he's not really huge, but comparatively he is to me!). I'm not sure of torso height. I did try to measure it once, but it only was 13 in, which didn't seem right to me. The TF is installed in a Subaru Outback.

Anyway, it looks like he only has a half to one inch left of torso height left in the TF. I know this could mean up to a year of growth room, but even if he made it to 4.5 yrs I know he wouldn't be ready for a booster and I'll have to buy a combination seat then. I'd post pictures but I can't find my camera cord. Does this make sense? Is it normal considering his age and height for him to be out growing the TF?

Sorry if this turned into rambling, I'm just so confused!

ADS

armywife12

Given his size and age, i don't think its likely but not impossible either. The true fit fits children rf with torsoes around 17 inches or so. Are you saying he's about an inch from the top slots or an inch from the shell.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If he's 36 pounds, he needs to be Forward Facing as the TF only goes to 35 pounds RF.

To outgrow the seat by height when FF: His shoulders would be OVER the top harness postion OR the top of his ears would be over the top of the seat back.

I think that would be very unlikely given that your son has been on the smaller side of things.

Susan

Maedze

I would say that it's nearly impossible that a child of that height is near outgrowing the seat. Perhaps you could post a close up photograph?

babygirlsmom1005

Here is my 4 year old in her brother's TFP (it is installed RF'ing, she is 36 lbs so outgrown it by weight - was just taking pics for another mama to compare shell height left over their head). There was a good 5 inches left over her head with the headrest on before she would outgrow it.

RF'ing, I had it on the 3rd slots for her, but could go with either the 2nd or 3rd ones (this past summer when she was 39 inches tall, it was on the 2nd slots for her to ride in it before she outgrew it by weight). I have never installed in FF'ing so IDK where she would be at on it since it is my DS's seat.

Stats: 41 inches, 36 lbs around 15.5 torso
IMG_6090.jpg

Ladyl

He is FFing in the seat. It seems like had an inch or less left in the harness. He is definitely at the top slots. I found my camera cord, so I'll snap some pictures and post them later.

mommycat

Funny how everyone seemed to read into your post that you had him RF - I had to read it twice to make sure but then it was obvious you meant he was FF. Strange.

It is not impossible that he is at the top slots if he has a tall torso. My son is 42" and still has growing room left (like an inch at least last time I checked), but all kids are different. That said, I would definitely want to make sure that you aren't missing something. Like, are you judging fit by where the harness comes through the cover, or the actual slot location in the shell? Because the slots in the shell are quite far back under the cover, the TF is quite misleading. Place a small ruler or pencil in the slots with your child in the seat and see how he measures up to that. Make sure to pull the straps up through the cover when you adjust the height up and before you put him in the seat, as well, since sometimes they get a bit hung up in the cover slit.

Another good way of knowing if the harness is outgrown is to look at how it curves - if the harness strap seems to be coming down towards the shoulder, he still fits. If they are coming out level to his shoulders, they are right at the limit. Once you see the straps start to curve up and over the shoulder, the seat is definitely outgrown and you need a new one.

armywife12

If he's 36 pounds, he needs to be Forward Facing as the TF only goes to 35 pounds RF.

To outgrow the seat by height when FF: His shoulders would be OVER the top harness postion OR the top of his ears would be over the top of the seat back.

I think that would be very unlikely given that your son has been on the smaller side of things.

Susan

I have no idea how I missed that lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC