Maybe I am missing something?

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I don't understand why you think it sucks?

These have been discussed here a couple times, I'll see if I can dig up the threads.

ETA:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=112226

looks like it operates the same way as a shield booster...promotes early ffing (which i dont understand)...

i think the problem is i just dont understand why its safe...especially in situations such as a roll over. are there any crash test videos?

i heard they are coming to the states now.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
looks like it operates the same way as a shield booster...promotes early ffing (which i dont understand)...

i think the problem is i just dont understand why its safe...especially in situations such as a roll over. are there any crash test videos?

i heard they are coming to the states now.
I posted a link to a thread above, if you read that it's got info on it's purpose and some videos. Particularly posts 5, 7, 8 and 9.

It's supposed to be better than a 5 point harness because there is no harness to hold back the shoulders with the head moving forward at the same time. The whole upper body can move together.

armywife12

I think these seats look awesome and are NOTHING like shield boosters. I don't know exactly how they work but I know they are very different than the shield boosters be had here. They are closer to the child's body, holding them in the seat, so there is no gap between the shield and the child. I believe the shield portion also covers more area on the child's body than the ones we had here. I *think* they reduce neck load better than 5 point harnesses but I'm not positive about it. They don't promote early forward facing either, IMO. This seat is available in countries where they forward face early anyways and, from my understanding, this type of car seat may actually be safer for young forward facers than 5 point harnesses. I am sure the linked thread will explain more about them but I, personally, think they're pretty cool

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i guess i could understand using it as a booster for an older kiddo...kind of. i dont see why its any more fool prrof than a standard booster though. and what on earth keeps the kid in the seat in case of a roll over if theres nothing going ovver the shoulder? and are the child and the seat heavy enough to engage the locking mechanism is the belt isnt locked already?

BabyKaykes

the force of the crash on the seatbelt should be enough to engage the locking mechanism

even if a child is FF early, i'd rather see them in this than a regular booster

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I added in a link to a post with crash test video in post #2.

ETA: it's the same video as BabyKaykes posted but you might find the info in the post I linked to useful as well.

Last edited:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
int hat video, it appears that one crash test dummy is larger than the other.

i understand what they say the purpose is. i just dont know that i agree.

and on top of that, i still dont see where anything addresses what would happen in a roll over, since there is nothing going over the shoulders.

also, that you tube video is labeled wrong lol...unless theres a 5pt harness under the shield.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
the force of the crash on the seatbelt should be enough to engage the locking mechanism

even if a child is FF early, i'd rather see them in this than a regular booster

id rather just not see a kiddo ff'ing so early, let alone in a booster.

and i have heard several arguments that one reason why your child should be in a 5pt is because it takes a vertain weight to actually engage the locking mechanism.

gah, i have been out of the carseat game too long now. i need to brush up lol

featherhead

int hat video, it appears that one crash test dummy is larger than the other.

i understand what they say the purpose is. i just dont know that i agree.

and on top of that, i still dont see where anything addresses what would happen in a roll over, since there is nothing going over the shoulders.

also, that you tube video is labeled wrong lol...unless theres a 5pt harness under the shield.

The shield is fitted very tightly to the child. It should be snug on the legs and torso. The kid won't be going anywhere.

Evolily

I like them :) . Fact is, most parents aren't going to RF their kids until 40 lbs. This technology allows the head, neck, and shoulders to ride down together, potentially preventing spinal cord injuries. It also spreads the crash forces over a greater surface area.

I'd love if they would have them for bigger kids. If I had to FF a child under 2 I would want them in one of these seats, and I would prefer them for a FFing child under 3. They're also great for lap only positions

American shield boosters were ill fitting and bordered on being death traps. These shield boosters fit and work in a much more efficient manner.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's not true, about needing a certain weight to engage the locking mechanism. I think the only way to understand these seats is to really see one in action. Your child is seriously locked in place, the foam shield across the chest and lap would certainly keep them from falling out in a rollover. It's pressed up ON their body, there's no gap at all. The forces are spread evenly over that huge surface area, not just the thin straps. And this is from Germany, right? They've always put kids FF at 1. Sweden is the country that RF's to 4... if kids are going to be FF anyway, they might as well have a big ol' shield holding them in place, IMO (which is why I used one for Leah when she had to go FF at 3... I wanted her head and shoulders to move forward in a crash together. DH kept crushing her in the thing so we stopped using it before summer even rolled around and it got too hot to use ;))

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
That's not true, about needing a certain weight to engage the locking mechanism. I think the only way to understand these seats is to really see one in action. Your child is seriously locked in place, the foam shield across the chest and lap would certainly keep them from falling out in a rollover. It's pressed up ON their body, there's no gap at all. The forces are spread evenly over that huge surface area, not just the thin straps. And this is from Germany, right? They've always put kids FF at 1. Sweden is the country that RF's to 4... if kids are going to be FF anyway, they might as well have a big ol' shield holding them in place, IMO (which is why I used one for Leah when she had to go FF at 3... I wanted her head and shoulders to move forward in a crash together. DH kept crushing her in the thing so we stopped using it before summer even rolled around and it got too hot to use ;))

i think youre right. i need to just see one. lol. and some crash test videos.

hey, btw :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC