Some Serious Car Seat Collectors Out There!

BabyGearCollector

I was watching this vintage car seat on ebay to see what it was going to fetch - http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RETRO-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20af914b2f - though I didn't have enough spare cash to jump in the bidding. It's absolutely in pristine condition and obviously was taken excellent care of. My first surprise was the $100 reserve! My second surprise was the winning bid which exceeded $260!! Yikes!!! :eek: I've only seen the old 1950's style seats fetch that kind of price in the past. Looks like I'll have to save up plenty of money if I hope to ever win one of the vintage Strolee seats I've wanted, if/when one ever gets listed. :( Definitely some serious car seat collectors out there with this kind of bidding!

Dave

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Hmmmm...there's a vintage seat in my parents basement...but I don't think it's in tip top condition.

Susan

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Heck with selling my outgrown/unused seats, I am just going to save them for 50 years until tthey are retro and sell them for more than I paid! :thumbsup:

BabyGearCollector

Hmmmm...there's a vintage seat in my parents basement...but I don't think it's in tip top condition.

Susan

Susan, if you get a chance to check it out, I'd love to know what kind it is. Maybe even post a pic?:)

I tell you, I'm constantly checking vintage and retro listed baby gear items - highchairs, walker/bouncers, car seats, home use booster seats (especially vintage Cosco) - and most are very popular items. I bought one of those vintage Eames Era-style Cosco booster seats for $10 and it sold on ebay for $89. A mom from Paris, France asked me to PLEASE ship to her country because she was making a little activity table for her toddler son and wanted that design of seat to go with it. The $42 shipping didn't deter her at all - she wanted that seat no matter what!!! LOL

Dave

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind, what exactly do you do with all of these old seats? :whistle:

BabyGearCollector

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind, what exactly do you do with all of these old seats? :whistle:

If I'm ever fortunate enough to find one like the catalog pic in my avatar, it will just be a static collectable like my 20+ strollers and prams are right now. Though my strollers could see use again one day if grandkids come along.:) I'd just enjoy preserving a little baby gear history with one or two of the old classic seats, strange as that may seem. Some people who collect classic 50s/60s cars like to buy the old hook-over car seats as a period accessory for their car only when displayed at shows, and never for use while the car is moving.

Dave

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
classicseats, I thought for sure you had won that.

You need to stop hiding out, BTW. You only show up on the threads about classic seats, oddly enough. :p

midwestmeg

Oh wow, fun-- classic seats! Dh is a classic tractor/car/junk collector and spends a lot of time looking at 'junk' all summer. I'll tell him to start watching for seats! Kind of a fun piece of history.

BabyGearCollector

Oh wow, fun-- classic seats! Dh is a classic tractor/car/junk collector and spends a lot of time looking at 'junk' all summer. I'll tell him to start watching for seats! Kind of a fun piece of history.

Admittedly, that's one of the main reasons I joined car seat. org. Hoping that by posting about the specific classic seat I was looking for there would be a lot more eyes watching out from folks who take more than the usual notice when they spot a car seat, new or vintage. Plus, there's a couple other collectors to help here like classicseats, who knows about the seats I'm interested in finding. I figure by this late date, other than perhaps ebay or craigslist, about the only place the older classic seats will surface is at moving/garage/estate sales where people want to sell off as much stuff stashed away over the years as possible. Back in the early 1980s, many thrift/second hand shops still had the older '60s and '70s seats, and I could kick myself now for not grabbing up nearly every one I spotted.:( Thrift stores around my area won't even handle used baby gear items anymore due to safety concerns.

Hope your DH can stumble across some cool classic seats in dire need of rescuing by collectors.:)

Dave

ctbcleveland

Dave and ClassicSeats - DH and I are researching vintage Taylor Tot Strollers. If either of you is knowlegable about this brand, please let me know.

DH has a 1951 mercury, and he wants a period-accurate (is that a word?) stroller to push the baby around during a car show. These aren't strollers in the modern sense - they are almost like walkers with a push-handle. DS will be a year old when we would start using it this summer.

Feel free to PM me.

embock81

Hi Guys,
I just stumbled on this post and thought I'd share a couple of pictures of me in my 1983 Strollee Car Seat...

4547081291_8dd9b5e274.jpg

4547097993_95af9bf678.jpg

4547098393_a4a0c9396a.jpg

I'm hoping one day to find one like this on ebay... :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC