Just a little 'Boosters are not easier than harnesses' PSA

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
:eek:

We were driving around in the Focus today which currently has the Monterey booster in it. I spent more time getting DS buckled into that seat than I ever have in any harnessed seat we've owned. :thumbsdown: Granted I make it somewhat more difficult by locking the retractor (which basically requires you to unthread the whole seat belt before you can buckle him in again,) but even if I didn't it would have been no picnic. DH is less likely to screw up (pre-installed) harnessed seats too.

I miss the Radian, and we'll be out of the Nautilus soon too. :(

/whine :eek:

ADS

Maedze

Bean the One can buckle and unbuckle the Nautilus and tighten it independently.

Even with the Graco Turbobooster, which he *can* buckle by himself, it takes him much longer and I usually have to help him adjust and snug the lap belt portion.

Harness=easier.

I think the booster=easy myth is due to parents switching kids from a harness to a backless at 3 years old, in which case, you're doing all the work anyway so the booster IS easier.

NannyMom

I agree, an F85 might be a good choice. J does really well with his booster now, but he also have a stiff buckle stalk to help.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
:eek:

We were driving around in the Focus today which currently has the Monterey booster in it. I spent more time getting DS buckled into that seat than I ever have in any harnessed seat we've owned. :thumbsdown: Granted I make it somewhat more difficult by locking the retractor (which basically requires you to unthread the whole seat belt before you can buckle him in again,) but even if I didn't it would have been no picnic. DH is less likely to screw up (pre-installed) harnessed seats too.

I miss the Radian, and we'll be out of the Nautilus soon too. :(

/whine :eek:

I imagine the super-short rigid buckle stalks in the Focus don't help much, do they? I'm not looking forward to moving DS to a booster full-time in our Focus, but he'll be 9 :eek: in April, so we'll make the switch after school's out. Then we won't have to worry about buckling quickly in the school pickup lane. And hopefully it will be easier for DS to buckle when we switch the Keyfit for the Cocorro we have.

Kat_Momof3

and you could rationalize the FR85 because it will also be the tallest booster on the market (besides the regular FR)

unityco

I think the booster=easy myth is due to parents switching kids from a harness to a backless at 3 years old, in which case, you're doing all the work anyway so the booster IS easier.

Probably true. :) I was doing all the buckling with DS in his harness too though, and I have *not* found the booster easier. (Although maybe I'm less likely to just pull the belt over and call it good than the average parent. ;))

I imagine the super-short rigid buckle stalks in the Focus don't help much, do they?
Nope, definitely not. :thumbsdown: Nor the fact that the centre position is not really centre and overlaps the stalks.

As for the rest of you F85 enablers, stop it! :whistle: (I'm already coveting it. ;))

monstah

You're telling me! I started booster training DS and with 3 in a row, it made me want to cry.

I asked my DH the other day if he wanted to put a booster in his car as backup for DS and he asked for a Radian instead because the booster is such a PITA. :p

kattale

Arg! Don't get me started. I put my girls in boosters, and it was so tight trying 3-across with the boosters that the seats kept pressing on the buckle release and undoing while I was driving.

That's when I bought the Radians. :) (But my daughters were only 40 pounds, small enough to still fit.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's a different KIND of work, for sure.

My almost-6 year old is now 40 so she's going full-time to a booster (having outgrown the RF seats we have.) In our car that means we have to leave the booster buckled or kill our knuckles every time, and so we have her wiggle in and out by pulling slack into the lap belt and having her wiggle under, then tightening up. I'm sure it looks entirely bizarre to anyone watching!

unityco

You're telling me! I started booster training DS and with 3 in a row, it made me want to cry.

That's the thing - DS's seat is alone back there and I *still* find it tough! I can't imagine trying to do 3-across! :dizzy: I feel for you!

(And yes, I realize I ended every sentence with an exclamation point. They all needed one. ;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC