Wearing a newborn in a Beco?

fyrfightermomma

I have a ring sling and he likes it fine, but he's big. Very big. And he just looks squished. I'd like to give the Beco I have a try in a few weeks and he isn't so wobbly headed. I'm just more comfortable with that type of carrier.

How do you carry a newborn in a Beco? Do they face in or out?

Anyone have a pic of a teeny one (under 3 months) in a Beco?

Thanks!

ADS

InternationalMama

With the Beco they always face in.

How long is his torso? My DS was big at birth and his head came over the top of the Beco with the infant insert when he was a newborn so it didn't work for us when he was very young since there was no head support. We started using it around 4 months when we felt comfortable using it without the infant insert. I think this is a very uncommon problem from the pics I've seen of newborns in the Beco though. I just thought I'd mention it since you said he's big.

NVMBR02

They face in, you can't face out in a beco with a front carry. I don't think I have any good pictures but I started using the beco with dd2 right away. She was 6lbs at birth. I just tucked her legs inside and used a blanket to plug up the sides a bit. She was 6lbs at birth.

I think these are the only picture i have of her in a carrier on this computer.

5 days old
beco.jpg

Almost 3 weeks old
Beco2.jpg

ETA: in the second picture the top is folded down in front so that you can see her, the carrier went over her head.

LeeLi

I use my Beco all the time with the tiny baby in my care, she was 6 weeks when we started using it. I prefer to use it without the infant insert since here froggy legs take up a lot of space in the carrier. I also usually put her in the Beco while swaddled, which helps support her neck.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I frogged DS's legs in the Beco until around 3 months, when he was able to rotate them outward enough to sit in it with his legs spread. I'd swaddle him and stick him in like a burrito and he'd pass out!

Cryssy Jane

I frogged DS's legs in the Beco until around 3 months, when he was able to rotate them outward enough to sit in it with his legs spread. I'd swaddle him and stick him in like a burrito and he'd pass out!

Lol the last line made my day! I do the same thing with itty bitties in my care. Although current 6 week old, is almost bigger length wise than current 10 month old.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
With the Beco they always face in.

How long is his torso? My DS was big at birth and his head came over the top of the Beco with the infant insert when he was a newborn so it didn't work for us when he was very young since there was no head support. We started using it around 4 months when we felt comfortable using it without the infant insert. I think this is a very uncommon problem from the pics I've seen of newborns in the Beco though. I just thought I'd mention it since you said he's big.

This is an issue for us. DD needs the infant insert so her hips aren't so spread, but her head comes over the top of our Beco Butterfly I and II. I have used it more in the last 3w or so since she has head control.

I have mondo torso babies too... She just moved to the second slot on the xtsl... ds is on the next-to-last slot (4?).

zactayaus

A trick you can do is stick a folded up receiving blanket in between the carrier and the back of baby. Just leave about 4 inches or so of the blanket sticking out the top of the carrier. I had to do that with my ergo and it worked wonderfully. I'm certain it would work with the beco too.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Here's DS at about a month old. I LOVED the beco for him when he was a peanut. You can see in the body shot how his legs were froggied (you can see his knee poking out)

P3270013.jpg

P3270016.jpg

ETA: I have a 4th gen Beco, not a butterfly

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC