Seats for foster children

wild-one

I’m about to become a foster mother and would like to have some car seats on hand. What do you all think would be good to have?

I’ll have up to age 6 and I could have up to 3 kids at once.

I drive a sedan. so they'll have to fit 3 across.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi, Wild-One, welcome. Congrats on becoming a foster parent!

I'd get at least two, if not three Radians. Or two Radians and a Coccoro for smaller babes. Maybe a combination of Radian, Coccoro, and Ride Safer Travel Vest (for the older kids).

What sedan? Do you know any of the ages and sizes and weights yet, or this is just to have on hand?

The Radian and Coccoros are convertibles, so they can be used rear or forward facing. They both fit newborns well. They're narrow. The RSTV is for forward facing only kids three and older (do you know about rear facing kids to 3-4 years old?) and at least 30 pounds. Its appeal in this situation is that it's no wider than the child using it. Have you got top tethers and shoulder belts in all three spots in the back?

Wendy

luvsviola

My foster son came with a (disgusting) SnugRide. I used my own and sent his back to his family. Usually, DCS brings the kids to your house or you have time to run to Target if you would need a seat. Our DCS has seats for the foster family to borrow. As long as you know what you want, you could always send DH out later that evening to get an appropriate seat.

My foster son has a Boulevard and a Marathon he rides in. Basically, I wanted new seats for DD and it was my excuse.

I personally would not buy a seat til you know your placement. But if you really want to buy something, I would get a TrueFit. They are easy to adjust sitting at DCS without uninstalling, they are really nice, and at $150, they are reasonable. Radians are also great for 3 across.

The reason I would be hesitant is that it could be months to a year without getting a placement. In my county, there are about 30 foster families and only 14 kids in care. My good friend hasn't had a placement in 2 years. She only takes kids under 4, but DCS just isn't taking kids away like they used to since it is so expensive to have kids in care. They are doing lots of family therapy first, and (IMO) dragging their feet/looking the other way WAY too much. So it would stink to buy a seat now, not get a placement for a year, or get a kid too big for it, and have wasted your money.

macmomma

The reason I would be hesitant is that it could be months to a year without getting a placement. In my county, there are about 30 foster families and only 14 kids in care. My good friend hasn't had a placement in 2 years. She only takes kids under 4, but DCS just isn't taking kids away like they used to since it is so expensive to have kids in care. They are doing lots of family therapy first, and (IMO) dragging their feet/looking the other way WAY too much. So it would stink to buy a seat now, not get a placement for a year, or get a kid too big for it, and have wasted your money.

WOW:eek: where do you live at? We here in NW La are in dire need of Foster parents- too many kids and not enough homes:(

OP- I own a few seat and the True Fits are my favorite, they can be used from birth to maybe 5 yrs or so depending on the size of the child. The harness is super easy to adjust and the instal is very easy.
Depending where you live CPS might even buy you a car seat. With every placement that I received I was offered a new car seat.... it usually is a inexpensive one like the Evenflo Discovery5 for an infant or the Scenera. I prefer to use mine and send the CPS purchased one with the child when it leaves again.
Good Luck to you!

kidnurse

Wow, I fostered for a couple of years in Az. I was never offered a seat by DES. I worked tons of OT for months before I got my license so I could save up for cribs, high chairs, carseats, and since I had no kids of my own at that point, toys.That is very cool to be offered carseats, it is expensive starting up in foster care. :thumbsup: I also can't imagine a place where foster homes outnumber the children in need of placement. At the time I fostered, even babies, that everyone wants, were in shelters because there weren't enough baby beds available in foster homes.

OP - I did what you are looking to do, I bought some seats to have on hand, so I wouldn't have to run out and get them last minute. (Being a single mom, running out last minute isn't always an option.) I used Graco Snugrides with my LO's, now I would get a SafeSeat instead, but same idea. I also had a convertible on hand, it was a Century that is no longer made. The Scenera would come close though. And I had a HBH seat. Oh, also a regular LBB for the older kids. I accumulated these over time as I was at first only licensed for ages 5-10, but for not knowing exactly the ages I would have in my home, these seats worked well. There are much nicer carseats out now then there were then and today I would probably use a TF in place of the other convertible I had. The only carseat I did not have to buy myself was one that a hospital gave me when I picked up a 4lb 5oz preemie, and would not take her home in the bucket seat I had, since there was room for her to slide all over in it, even at it's smallest settings.

Congrats on becoming licensed to foster, enjoy, I found it very rewarding. :)

nmb

Wow, I fostered for a couple of years in Az. I also can't imagine a place where foster homes outnumber the children in need of placement. At the time I fostered, even babies, that everyone wants, were in shelters because there weren't enough baby beds available in foster homes.

I'm in AZ and it's that way here too. We've been on the waiting list to attend orientation for almost 2 mos! Then after will be another wait list for training...then waiting. More homes then kids.
It's really sad because in the next "big city" over there were more than 100 kids w/out homes last year. But because it's another county no one here can foster those kids.

I guess it's a good thing when there's a waiting list of families for kids, right? Just sad that we can't give a home to all those other kids that are *this* close to us.

macmomma

But because it's another county no one here can foster those kids.

I guess it's a good thing when there's a waiting list of families for kids, right? Just sad that we can't give a home to all those other kids that are *this* close to us.

Wow- are you serious?! Both of my placements are from a few parishes over- we do not have to be in the same parish as the child/ agency. When I get a call they will tell me that the child is not from our parish and ask if I would be willing to take the child anyway- I do have to drive there for visits but I do get reimbursed for traveling and it is not a bad drive at all- kinda enjoy the drive:whistle:

Kat_Momof3

it would help to know make and model (and even year) of the sedan, but off hand, I'd want to have a Turbobooster (all kids come in different sizes), a small convertible (Scenera, Avenue, or Coccoro), a large convertible (Radian of some kind) or two, an infant seat (probably safety 1st Onboard or Chicco Keyfit), and a Ride Safer Travel Vest.

That way, you're prepared for any scenario of ages, sizes, and putting 3 across.

However, I'd wait to start building the stash until you get a placement (having a list of preferred seats, you can always send someone to the store or dash out to one quickly)

wild-one

Thanks everyone! I may not be getting any kids after all:(. since I found out I'm going to have a baby, my case worker said I shouldn't be doing foster care.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

lpperry

Thanks everyone! I may not be getting any kids after all:(. since I found out I'm going to have a baby, my case worker said I shouldn't be doing foster care.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Why can't you foster if you are going to have a baby? That doesn't make much sense...

wild-one

It's because I'm single and I live in two bedroom apartment.
My caseworker said I won't have the room or energy for more then one child after giving birth. She did after the baby is about 6 months I could go ahead with fostering.
Thanks for the congrats. They mean a lot.

kidnurse

Hmm...I was a single foster mom to usually 4 kids at a time. I stayed at home with them. We lived in a 3 bedroom house (1600 sq. ft.), so two kids to a bedroom, or a newborn in with me. I do have to admit, I did not have other kids to take care of after giving birth. I am now an SMBC. Still though I don't like it when case workers decide what is right for you, in your home. I hope that is not the case here. If it were me, I would proceed with licensing and such, even if only to do respite. Of course, I am not sure the specifics of why and what you are interested in in fostering. If you want, I can give you a few tips and hints, things I learned the hard way. PM me if you are interested. Again congrats on your pregnancy. :)

karlatta

It's because I'm single and I live in two bedroom apartment.
My caseworker said I won't have the room or energy for more then one child after giving birth. She did after the baby is about 6 months I could go ahead with fostering.
Thanks for the congrats. They mean a lot.
I can see a few reasons why someone might be cautious about doing foster care in your situation, but really, it should be your decision whether you go through with it or not.

PM me if you'd like my thoughts. I have a lot of them. :) I'm not single, but I've been pregnant twice since I started fostering.

And congrats on your pregnancy!

Joyofbirth

I'm sorry to hear they won't let you foster. My friends are going through something similar. They have a 3 1/2 y o who has mild autism. They went through all their classes, etc. And when they were doing the home visits was about the time they got an official diagnosis of their son's autism. They were aware of it already and dealing with it, doing various therapies. It just took a while to get the dr to officially diagnose, mostly because he was so young. The social worker said they needed to wait 6 months to adapt to the diagnosis. It's jsut their policy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC