3 across in Hyundai Sonata?

KrystleO_1027

What are my chances of achieving this? Sonata has those horrible seats that curve up and in by the door, making it hard (i'm assuming, haven't tried( to get seats closer to the door.)

It would be a RF Radian, GN, and a cosco no back booster. Right now i have the Radian and GN on the outsides. Child in the booster doesn't ride my car yet, but come summer she'll be out of school and i don't want to sit home with 3 kids all summer long! (DS is in the Radian, other 2 are daycare kids)

The way the seats are now, it looks like there is no way i could squeeze a booster in there, no room. But i'm wondering if it's possible to get the Nauti closer to the door (seatbelt install maybe?) by SOMEHOW compressing the curved part of the seat? maybe put the Nauti in the center, but idk how it puzzles with the nauti. Then booster on other side?

With the booster, it would have to be on the flat part on the seat, coudln't be on the curved up part...right?

ugh, i was hoping to have a bigger vehicle by summer but it's not going to happen. Do i have a chance of making this work?

ADS

mommycat

I will start by saying that I know nothing about the Sonata. :eek:

My Civic has the bolsters on the sides of the seat backs, and they are solid, as in, I think it's plastic covered by cloth. Are yours squishy? If so, then your chances greatly improve. :thumbsup: Your best bet at a 3 across is definitely to use seatbelt for all of the seats, because it allows you to shift the bases around as needed. Is the Radian able to go in the middle? I ask because often seats puzzle better when the 2 FF seats don't need to compete for shoulder space.... NM, you have a NBB...

Is there a lap/shoulder belt in the center if you needed to try the booster in the center, or is that possibility out? Also, are you in the US? If so, have you considered a travel vest?

I am sure someone else will come along with some more insights.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
yuck,. What year? I have an 07 kia optima, which is the kia branded version of a sonata, same exact AWFUL curvy seats. The good news is, I HAVE gotten several 3-across scenarios in mine. The bad news is..it sucks and it's hard and it has to be exactly the right seats, and if any of them are a booster, it sucks even harder. The worse news is, none of my 3-acrosses have included the nauti. But, I've never tried it with a riadian, so maybe that would buy you enough width. I can maybe go play with some stuff later ortomorrow..it's freezing here, lol. It's not even that the nauti is so wide, but that it is shaped the way it is shaped. The frontier is the same width, maybe even a tad wider, and I've gotten IT in a 3-across.
So..in general, is it possible to get 3-aross? Yes. With the 3 seats you currently have? prolly not.
How old is the child in the nauti? If that child can be boostered in something like a highback turbo, you'd be good to go. I KNOW you can fit 1 RFing seat and 2 boosters. I've also done 1 RF, 1 FFharnes and 1 booster, but I COULD NOT do it with the nauti, I did it with a frontier, and once with a chase, but I have no picof that. If the kid in the nauti can't be boostered yet, something like the maestro might be the perfect ticket, sicne it is narrow AND cheap!

Here are a couple pics.
This is a frontier, RF titan, Turbo, it works ONLY because the way the shell of the titan is bowl-shaped allows it to overhand where the armrests for the turbo and frontier are..can you see that?? It's stuff like that that allows you to get 3-across in this car.
3-across004.jpg

3-across001.jpg

This is a RF AOE in the middle of a hbTB and a hb Big Kid booster It was insanely hard to get in the space to buckle the boosters, I couldn't so it, but my friend could, so it worked. With a radian in the middle, it would be a LOT easier, because the AOE was 19 inches wode, andthe radian is only 16 inches wide, so you'd have 3 extra inches, plus that realy shallow shell, and the female buckles stick up, so I think it'd be pretty easy.
midjuly09099.jpg

KrystleO_1027

Thanks guys!!

I was looking at the seats in the car today, and i THINK i might be able to get the Nautilus closer to the door if i install with a seat belt, and then hopefully get the radian in the middle. Of course, this will not be until the weather isn't ridiculously cold out!

Yes, there is a lap/shoulder belt in the middle, so that is another option as well (putting nbb in the middle)

Yea, the child in the Nauti can't go in a booster. I just fought with his mother about it because she switched him (from a marathon that expired right after his 4th birthday) to a booster in her car right at 4 years. He had a marathon in my car as well that just expired, and i refused to put him in a booster in my car...so i bought him a nauti (he's only 33lbs and def. not mature enough for a booster)

myliljunebugs

I wouldn't likely put the NBB in the middle, just cuz it doesn't have a headrest (at least my '06 doesn't) I just this weekend got a scenera RF'ing drivers side, Radian FF'ing center, Olli or PW passenger side. I had hoped to try other scenarios but the kids are being nuts so I don't think it will happen. I would imagine with the Radian RF'ing I could have put the PW center. But I can't find anything that will work 3 across while using the lower anchors, it just moves them in too far. Another thought would be an RSTV, I'm considering one myself.

U

Unregistered

I have a 2004 Sonata and I am fitting a Britax Frontier on the passenger side, and Sunshine Kids Radian RF in the middle and a peg perego 30/30 SIP behind the drivers seat, with no prob and when the baby outgrows the peg they will move to the Radian and I will get another Frontier...I have tried this and it works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC