Is there a best booster for a small 5 year old?

Holly

I don't know much about boosters, never had to think about them before.
We're moving this year, but we don't know where to yet. If we don't end up within walking distance to the school dd1 will go to (she starts Kindergarten), we'll have to work something out, either I take dh to work every day (I highly doubt we'd do that, it would get VERY old and we'd figure something else out first) or we may get a 2nd car if we can. I also think maybe we could work out a carpool thing with a neighbor, but in that case It would probably make the most sense to get a booster.

None of my kids have ever been in boosters, I wonder how well dd would sit in it. She'll be 5 on July 16th. She's really tiny, about 33 lbs I'd guess. She is super skinny, wears a 4slim jeans and they still have to have the inside elastic cinched tighter. She's just really really petite, but has long legs. She and my 3 year old dd have about the same torso length even though dd1 is quite a bit taller.

Would my dd be ok in a booster at her size? Is there a best one for the smaller kids?

ADS

emandbri

Do the schools have buses where you live? This is something I would look into.

It varies in St. Louis but my last district you got to ride the bus if you were more than a mile away and if you were less than a mile they would let a child ride the bus if there was room.

My new district everyone can ride the bus. When I got to pick up the kids from school there is a bus stop RIGHT in front of the school. They do this because otherwise the kids would have no way to get across the street.

In Omaha you had to be 2 miles from school to ride the bus and almost everyone drove to pick up their kids, it was a nightmare. Honestly if I had known that I would have picked a house more than 2 miles away, getting 3 and later 4 kids ready and dressed and in the car for drop off and pick up was a total PITA.

I absolutely would not bank on being able to carpool with someone especially since folks there most likely won't have any extra spots in their cars.

Holly

Oh, I know we might not end up having neighbors who'd be going to the school anyway and who would have extra room in their vehicle. I guess I'm just thinking of any possible solution for getting dd to school if we're too far from the school to walk.
I'm hoping dh will see that there is no other option besides getting a 2nd car.

emandbri

Well, I do think you need another car. I can't even imagine having only one and being stuck home all day, I would go crazy and rip my hair out!

christineka

My dd fits nicely in the bodyguard, but those are hard to find. I think the turbobooster is a good seat for little kids. Around here busses are only for kids who live a certain distance from the school, which doesn't apply to anyone at my kids' elementary school. I make my kids walk. When dd went to kindergarten I drove and it was a pain. (I put her in halfway through school because that's when we got a second car.) I know out here there are car pools. I choose not to allow my children to ride with others because they wouldn't understand the need for car seats and I don't want to be moving the boosters back and forth, nor leave them with people who feel they are unimportant.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd try a Maestro. To use as a booster. It's really light, won't fall in pieces like the Turbo, and the belt goes behind the armrests so it's probably a little easier for a newbie to buckle (or a helping parent). If you get a second car, then it makes a nice tall harnessed seat, too....
Here's firemomof3's review showing the great belt fit on her kid, I think it's worth trying it on your tiny kiddo if you can find it anywhere... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1105971#post1105971

keri1292

I think your DH will see that you need another car. Kids get sick during the school day and need picked up, they ruin their clothes and need a change brought over, they forget their lunch *sigh*, they have programs/parties/parent-teacher coffee/ at school that you'll want to attend, etc. I end up at school quite often with two there. :)

We have a Monterey and ds1 actually fits great in it though I've never let him ride in it. Probably not a good choice for carpooling or three across though. :(

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I love my parkway (old style) for my small 5 year old. It fits him so well, and he's petite, too. Of course, they are pretty hard, if not impossible, to get anymore.

ZephyrBlue

I think your DH will see that you need another car. Kids get sick during the school day and need picked up, they ruin their clothes and need a change brought over, they forget their lunch *sigh*, they have programs/parties/parent-teacher coffee/ at school that you'll want to attend, etc. I end up at school quite often with two there

Exactly.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with everything... a turbo if you really needed a booster for her would be my pick... fits small ones really well.

But you need a 2nd car.

fyrfightermomma

My DD who will be 5 when yours is sounds about the same size and weight. And yeah her baby sisters torso is the same as hers :rolleyes: she's just all legs

Anyways we got her a turbo booster for emergencies. She fits perfectly in it and Im sure will fit even better in summer. I'd give that a shot. I also am gonna try a Vivo cause I've been told it works well for scrawny ones

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC