Britax marathon the best option?

Shera_k

My sister is having a baby and registered for a Britax marathon. I know it's a good seat with a nice high price tag, but is it really the best seat she could get for her money? How does a first years true fit compare. I thought I had read that the true fit had a simple one hand strap adjust but I could be wrong (is that another seat?). I'd like to suggest to her an alternative so that she can better spend her money. Any suggestions? We are in Canada.

ADS

steph_s

Not sure about Canada, but my top picks here in the States are as follows.
-MyRide 65
-Radian (any version)
-Truefit
-Evenflo Triumph Advance

The Marathon isn't even on my list. It isn't the best seat for ERF as most kids run out of leg room and while it is easy to install, it is very overpriced for what you get!

Maedze

Not only is it lightyears away from the 'best' option, it's not even a SAFE option for a newborn. No convertible made by Britax fits newborns safely.

Also, child restraints have expiration dates, so she'll be losing useable life on it if she gets it now and has to wait for her baby to be big enough to fit in it. (usually around 6 months or so).

Furthermore, it's really low on the list of current seats that will fit a child in the rear facing mode for three to four years, which is the best thing to do (and then forward facing to 5 or 6 when they're ready for a booster).

Good convertibles that do those things AND fit newborns well include the First Years True Fit, Graco My Ride 65, and the Sunshine Kids' Radians :)

Shera_k

Not sure about Canada, but my top picks here in the States are as follows.
-MyRide 65
-Radian (any version)
-Truefit
-Evenflo Triumph Advance

The Marathon isn't even on my list. It isn't the best seat for ERF as most kids run out of leg room and while it is easy to install, it is very overpriced for what you get!

Yeah I felt is was overpriced too. I have a radian for my 5 (almost 6) yr old, because we don't have enough room in our Hyundai Tucson for a Nautilus (we have 3 across).

Why do you suggest the "my ride"? Does it have the one handed height adjust? If not what sets it apart in your opinion?

Shera_k

Not only is it lightyears away from the 'best' option, it's not even a SAFE option for a newborn. No convertible made by Britax fits newborns safely.

Also, child restraints have expiration dates, so she'll be losing useable life on it if she gets it now and has to wait for her baby to be big enough to fit in it. (usually around 6 months or so).

Furthermore, it's really low on the list of current seats that will fit a child in the rear facing mode for three to four years, which is the best thing to do (and then forward facing to 5 or 6 when they're ready for a booster).

Good convertibles that do those things AND fit newborns well include the First Years True Fit, Graco My Ride 65, and the Sunshine Kids' Radians :)

Thank you. I hadn't even thought about her wasting valuable expiration time! I gave her a graco snugride for the first 8m or so (or whenever he outgrows it), so she best buy it afterwards.

Maedze

The My Ride is an incredibly easy seat to install, will fit kids rear facing from birth to 3 or 4 (with a 40 pound limit) and has a tall enough top slot to get most kids to booster age. It's affordable, too :)

steph_s

Not sure about in Canada, but here the MyRide rear faces until 40lbs, forward faces until 65lbs. It has really deep sides so your child is more sitting in the seat verses on top of the seat (like with the Britax convertibles). It provides a lot of leg room for rear facing, even my older kids don't complain that it's a baby seat (I think this is because of the cup holders). It's easy to install, and comes in a lot of fabric choices. Also the shell is tall enough that it will last most kids till booster age. Also it will fit the average size newborn well so it's an awesome all around seat.

Twinklefae

In Canada the Marathon is an even worse buy, as it only rear faces to 30lbs, and costs almost $300.

I would strongly recommend:
-First Years True Fit (available at Zellers)
-Graco MyRide (At toysrus and Walmart)
-Sunshine Kids Radian (online or at baby boutiques)
-Safety 1st Complete Air (Walmart or Toysrus)

All of these seats will give you more rear facing time and often more forward facing time, and the only one that comes close in price is the Radian!

I wouldn't recommend the Evenflo Triumph Advance because is also has only a 30lb rear facing limit.

mommycat

Just a note that older Radians used to RF to 30lbs as well, so make sure which one you are getting, in case the store has old stock left:
*the older Radians (basic model and Premier) had 30lbs RF, while
*Sunshine Kids Radian XT model only (older DOM) (35lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian XT (aka XTSL), Premier 2010 models only (45lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian 2010 models (40lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)

ETA: this thread shows all the Canadian options with limits listed, but no "reviews" in terms of shell height, leg room, ease of install, etc. so do take the suggestions above into account. :)
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36056

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC