Radian ?

SugarNSpiceX3

We were planning to buy 2 XTSLs, but we just found out we have to move by the end of next month. Our lease was up and we were doing month to month, but our landlord has a buyer. So...we won't have as much money as originally thought. I was just wondering if the headwings were useable while RFing? If not, I may go with one XTSL (for who will be FF quicker) and an 80SL for DD3 since our newborn will probably inherit this seat (TTC within the next 2-3 years) and by that time DD3 will be FFing and I would buy a combination seat instead of a convertible. What is your opinion? Is 2 XTSLs worth it? Or would you buy 2 80SLs? 1 of each? :confused:

ADS

amyd

The headwings are usable RFing but not until the child is on the 3rd slots from the bottom. My 36" (14" torso), 30#, 21 month old is on the 3rd slots now, just to give you an idea. Where will your forward-facer be sitting? Middle? If so, I'd be fine with getting 2 80SL's instead of the XT's. Or one of each like you say. Are there any non-SL Radians still available in the US? I know here in Canada they are still on clearance many places because the SLs just came out. If you could find a non-SL XT that would be great for your FFer.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Right, not until the 3rd slots. I don't feel they're really necessary until a child is maxing out the seat-- they're nice to have for BEST containment, but the sides provide adequate containment UNTIL you get close to the top. Then, at the same time as the kid's head gets bigger, the sides taper down. I don't like it and if I had a choice I'd choose the wings for an outboard rider (not a big deal in the middle.)

That said, rear-facing in a seat with less-than-ideal head containment is probably, in most cases, still much much safer than forward-facing, even in a side impact, especially for very young children.

What are the ages? How long are the torsos? Will one be in the middle? That would affect what I personally would choose.

SugarNSpiceX3

To add some info:

It would be RFing outboard on both sides, a FF Nautilus would be center. The 3 year old would probably outgrow RFing first. I can't remember the torso heights, but 3 y/o DD is teeny. She is barely 25lbs. DD3 is about 23# and I believe they BOTH have a 12.5/13 inch torsos. I just know that I will buy atleast another combination seat when 1 is FFing. I'm too much of a car seat enthusiast. I love them. I buy them. If RFing if safer for side impact, then I wouldn't mind buying just 1 since I don't think they'll be able to use them yet anyway, and by the time they start being outgrown, they will probably be in a different car.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
With as itty bitty as your kids are, why not save yourself a LOT of money and get two Avenue's or MyRides?

SugarNSpiceX3

They won't fit without the doors touching. Right now we can't even all go somewhere together. We had a Scenera and 2 Avenues, plus the Nauti and it just doesn't work. There are no way I'll ever get MyRide in there, either. This is our last resort.

With as itty bitty as your kids are, why not save yourself a LOT of money and get two Avenue's or MyRides?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
It's ok for carseats to touch doors, just not to be forcefully pushed when a door is closed.

How old/big is your oldest?

SugarNSpiceX3

It does push them, visibly. My oldest turned 5 in September and has a tendency to slump while sleeping and sit cross-legged, so we don't want to booster her full time yet.

It's ok for carseats to touch doors, just not to be forcefully pushed when a door is closed.

How old/big is your oldest?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC