Sling questions

fyrfightermomma

I didn't want this in the pregnancy forum cause it probably wouldn't get tons of replies

I will preface this by saying I am NOT a babywearer. I got a bjorn for Sophia and wore her in it just to take E outside to play when she was a newborn. I hated it. It lasted two months LOL. I did nothing then until I got a Beco Butterfly when she was 2 to carry her on my back. Only did that a couple times. I just am not into it.

However, with baby #3 and two other small children, one who is special needs and still needs a hand being held at all times in public/streets/sidewalks/stores etc, I will never survive if I don't wear this baby. All 3 kids need me to "hold" them either in my arms or by their hands. So I've resigned my self to the fact that I must wear this baby. As I think about it, it doesn't sound so bad and actually sounds a lot easier than my old alternative of somehow dragging two kids and a infant bucket around LOL

Last week at the birthing center I am delivering at they had a baby wearing class. It was awesome! You basically could learn about and try every sling/carrier/pocket etc known to man. It was a great idea! Some were just too much for me. I need something easy and remember I am very new to baby wearing so nothing complicated

So I narrowed it down to a Maya wrap and the Rockin baby sling I think it was called. The pocket sling thing was too much work for me, and the wraps were way over my head. I already have the Beco but that seems like a lot of work for quick in and out trips. I'll keep that for longer outings etc.

So for those babywearing pros, for a beginner, who has to wrangle two other kids and is not 100% into baby wearing, which would you prefer in a sling? The Maya or the rockin baby one? Anything else I need to know?

ADS

Maedze

FWIW I've never used the second, but the Maya is very newborn friendly and easy to use.

Once baby starts sitting up, I'd go with a Mei Tai, Ergo, or similar.

fyrfightermomma

FWIW I've never used the second, but the Maya is very newborn friendly and easy to use.

Once baby starts sitting up, I'd go with a Mei Tai, Ergo, or similar.

I'm dumb but is the beco similar to the Mei Tai, Ergo's etc?

I'm assuming a used Maya sling is fine right? They don't wear out or anything do they? LOL

Maedze

It's a piece of cloth with a metal ring on the end...it's not gonna wear out :p

They're nice because they're so easy to plop a boneless n00b in and then tighten without any fuss.

I don't like trying to direct limbs on babies with no bones into more technical carriers. Once they grow bones its easier.

arly1983

Never used the other one, but still loving the Maya here.

Its great for infants and now it good for poping them on your hip for a quick trip.

Yeah, beco and ergo are similar, both are Soft Structured Carriers (SSC).

natysr

I just got in the mail my ring sling that I ordered from Sleeping Baby Productions.

I tried Jordan in it in a hip carry, and I really liked it.

It was only $25. On top of that, it was a Maya that was converted to SBP style. She bought the old style Maya wraps and then re-sewed them to her style.

Here is the link.

Shanora

I'd go with the ring sling as well. Also, MOST newborns hate the cradle carry (Laying them down in the sling) and it can be quite awkward for parents to do, so here is a link to a you tube video for the tummy to tummy carry. Its the best carry to use, as it keeps a newborns airways open and close!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljl_Nw_41ns"]YouTube- newborn - tummy to tummy carry (legs in) in a ring sling - Sakura Bloom[/ame]

Shanora

I have also used a Mei Tie when DD was a newborn, and it worked fairly well. But this was before I found my wrap love...lol

IMGP4174.jpg

This is the only picture I have online of Cordelia in a mei tie....but if you go over to www.thebabywearer.com you can see tones of pictures and the forum over there is very helpful!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I used a Ring Sling (and a very non professional DIY one at that) in a tummy-to-tummy hold with S as an itty and loved it. So don't know what kind you tried but I would say any RS is probably fine, the difference is in the shoulder styles. The learning curve with slings is very simple to get started, which is nice.

We moved from there to a Babyhawk (Mei Tie,) and that was best thing ever until he got too heavy for it. Some people use them for older kids, but I don't know how.

The biggest thing with wearing, I think, is that it goes easier as you go along. I can pop a kid into a back carry with the BH in honestly *maybe* 30 seconds now, a minute if I want to make sure it's "just so" if I'm going to be carrying for a long time. The first few times it IS going to take longer. The more you do it, the more you learn what body part goes where (yours and theirs) and what to pull if you want "this piece" tighter or whatnot. So if it's frustrating you at the beginning, but it seems like a necessity, do it more, not less, and you might be surprised. For me, it IS a necessity, and keeps me sane... I do it less for the crunchy/AP benefits and more for the sanity-related ones, lol.

Mom2three

I just got in the mail my ring sling that I ordered from Sleeping Baby Productions.

I tried Jordan in it in a hip carry, and I really liked it.

It was only $25. On top of that, it was a Maya that was converted to SBP style. She bought the old style Maya wraps and then re-sewed them to her style.

Here is the link.

Which colorway did you get? I have been wanting to order one since DS is too hard to smash into my hotsling now that he is bigger, and he shimmies around so much that in a hip carry with his legs out he can get out.

natysr

Which colorway did you get? I have been wanting to order one since DS is too hard to smash into my hotsling now that he is bigger, and he shimmies around so much that in a hip carry with his legs out he can get out.

I got the first one shown. Swatch 60. It is greenish-grey. I really like it. That one only comes in one size, but it was the perfect size for me.

One bonus that I didn't expect is that it has a little pocket on the tail.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Ooh, I love the fact that my maya has a pocket on the tail! Came in handy on the beach to put the camera in to hold, and any other extra stuff.

I don't baby wear much, but love the fact that I can, if I need to. The maya was really easy for that for me. And, I can put it on dh, and he has held the baby (ah, he was more like 1 at the time) that way, also. I really want to try a wrap, but haven't gotten that far.

Are you sure you may not be better with a compact double stroller? It would be something to think about, in addition to the baby wearing, kwim?

LeeLi

I have used a lot of different carriers and agree that a Maya wrap style ring sling is the perfect choice for you. I've heard good things about the sleeping baby productions slings as well, they are pretty similar to Maya wraps.

3plus2isme

I'm all about the wrap right now with DD.

I used both a pouch sling & mei tei (and a wrap) with DS2 and prefered the mei tei & wrap.. I guess I just never got the hang of the sling.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC