really sad

cashleigh

I was in Target yesterday.

I was looking at the strollers. I am looking for an umbrella stroller to leave at Grandma's.

Behind me there was 2 women. One woman was looking at the Evenflo(I think it was either the Titan or the Triumph) and the Graco Convertible(comfortseat I think it's called) . Another woman was looking at the Marathon. Quite the price difference between the 2. Both are great seats.

Anyway, the woman looking at the Marathon started lecturing the other woman about how the Evenflo and the Graco are not safe seats and the Marathon and the Roundabout are the only seats that anyone should be using. She reduced the other woman to tears and the woman said that she absolutely could not afford the Marathon and that she felt guilty that her children would be unsafe. The first woman left and the second woman stayed there crying.

I referred her to this website and told her that what the other woman had said was incorrect.

Sad hey?

ADS

southpawboston

that IS sad, and it really irks me that people have this attitude toward britax! people just get an idea in their head from something they heard somewhere, then they think they can lecture others about it...

MommyofBoogieBear

very sad. not fair. i hope she joins here! i have mine in a CS right now...and I'm not a bad mom just because we couldn't afford anything more at the time.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
The Cosco Scenera is one of the best seats there is. As much as I love my Britax, I'd happily use the Scenera.

I have no experience with the Evenflo or Graco convertibles, but either way, it's ridiculous to think that any seat other than Britax would be "unsafe." Don't they all have to pass the same FMVS 213?

scatterbunny

Oh, wow. :( That is so incredibly sad. I really hope that woman does visit us!

I hate it when people think that higher price=safer.

Britax has features some other seats don't have, but the main reason I recommend it is because they are very easy to install in a huge variety of vehicles and they last years longer than most other convertibles. If a parent can't afford one, they can't afford one, and there are almost always other viable options.

mamato2

That is too sad. It is also sad when people can't afford a seat that goes to a higher weight/height and they end up spending more in the long run OR the child goes to a seatbelt too soon. :(
C.

broken4u05

I hate the comfortsport but it is not because it is a bad seat. And i think i would be fine if i didnt have to put 2 kids in very fast in the car and the straps get twisted. But i know the kids are safe in them. And that other other woman was wrong for making her feel bad for not having the money for a britax.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Wow, that's really bad... :( And the thing is - we really love our Evenflo Triumph. High sides, EPS, etc - back when virtually no one had EPS, Evenflo had it...

nisi

Senior Community Member
It's sad when another parent says something like that. It's even sadder when the salespeople are telling people that. :mad: :mad: :mad: Our one and only high-end baby shop is (in)famous for this. I actually heard the guy -- the owner of the shop -- say to a parent, after the parent said they couldn't afford Britax, "Well, I guess you'll just have to decide how much your baby's safety is worth to you." :eek:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's horrible! I have seats all the way from the Scenera to the BV and love something about all of them!

cantech

This type of situation drives me crazy! Each and every seat out there is required to meet the same performance standards! Each and every seat out there has it's own pros and cons!

I have my own preferences but these are based on my particular situation and as much as I might like to steer parents in a particular direction I try to inform parents of their options and let them make their own decisions.

Belinda

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
That's awful! I was in Target myself yesterday and there were a couple moms looking at carseats (i was just seeing if my Target was carrying the Companion yet...it's not). I talked to one mom briefly who was trying to find her 31 pound 4yo a new seat b/c he has outgrown his Triumph by height. I kind of threw Britax in there, but I could tell that she wasn't looking to spend that much, so I didn't bring it up again. I showed her the Scenera and recommended she check Walmart for the Uptown since it has EPS foam.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
If he's too tall for the Triumph, he's too tall for the Scenera and at least close for the Uptown. She really needs a hwh seat more than likely.

arly1983

I once read on a website that.... all carseat are equally as safe. More money usually means more pading, or easier install, or highend namebrand.
The cheapest seat properly installed and used is safer the most expensive seat improperly installed or used!

scatterbunny

Higher priced seats sometimes do have added safety features--energy absorbing foam, rear-facing tethers, side impact protection via head and/or torso wings. But those things are not tested and proven safER because all seats in the US have to pass the same minimum federal testing.

Currently there is no testing data available to the public that proves EPS foam or rear-facing tethers make a difference, but for some it seems intuitive and the extra $$ is worth it.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I once read on a website that.... all carseat are equally as safe. More money usually means more pading, or easier install, or highend namebrand.
The cheapest seat properly installed and used is safer the most expensive seat improperly installed or used!

And more pretty/funky colors. :D

I was at Target this week too, looking at the Prospect. I "talked" to the baby boy (gorgeous - HUGE blue-green eyes ) and I was so tempted to ask the big sis to "model" for me - Prospect vs. Chase.

Mom was looking at the MA and I mentioned that it was worth the $$ because it was easy to install and had hwh. I then said, look on line for deals AND if she had questions once she got her new seat, to call AAA (our check up events are reservation only, they are the appointment people) since "We" check seats every month at a local car dealership. She said she didn't know that was available so maybe I'll see her drive through.

arly1983

So true, before I knew anything about carseats. I had to have a Britax. No boring gray and beige for my baby boy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC