Taxes and Craig's List

InternationalMama

I hope this is the right forum to post this!

Ever since I started researching strollers I see people talking all the time about selling stuff on Craig's List, sometimes even for a profit. I'm wondering: If you sell something on Craig's List (or any way to sell a used item) do you have to declare that as income when you file your taxes? How does that all work? I'm curious if anyone has experience with this.

ADS

rochelle

From a non-business tax form point of view
Alot of people sell items on craigslist, flea markets and garage/yard sales.
If you are selling all your excess items, there would be some that you make a loss and some that you might make a profit. The loss would probably be more than the profit unless you are only selling very few items.

For business, all items depreciate once its bought even if its never used. The depreciation is often booked as losses and if the item is sold, the fetching price is booked as profit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
And only income over a certain amount actually needs to be reported as such since under a certain amount it is not taxable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, my husband says technically you should report all income. But it's very hard to track, and the only way they would even notice is if you are audited and they check your bank statements and see lots of extra income. And yes, your losses can off-set your income.

He says the IRS is not interested if you make less than $600 in income from a source, and won't argue over it. (And he does tax resolution so he sees how the IRS works up close and personal every day. ;) )

Chrissy

Since most people deal in cash on CL it would be hard for the IRS to track your income unless you're taking that cash and putting it into the bank. If you take the $40 you made and go spend it at the grocery store, it is untraceable.

InternationalMama

Since most people deal in cash on CL it would be hard for the IRS to track your income unless you're taking that cash and putting it into the bank. If you take the $40 you made and go spend it at the grocery store, it is untraceable.

But if you do transactions via Paypal I think they can see those records just like they could look at any bank account.

I thought income is only not taxable from a total income perspective, so if you make less than, say $10,000 (I'm not sure of the exact number) it's not taxable, but if you already make over that amount in your daily job all the extra income you would get would be taxable even if it was only a small amount from each source.

I'm asking from a legal perspective. I realize that the IRS is unlikely to care about pretty much anything I do. :)

InternationalMama

Why would you do CL transactions via PayPal? 99% of the things I sell on CL are sold in person, and people pay in cash.

Oh, I was thinking bigger than just Craig's List when I wrote that, like Diaper Swappers, Stroller Swap and Ebay (as examples) where people are often mailing things and accepting money from people they don't ever see in person. But yes, I see that for Craig's List specifically it would be harder to track sales.

vonfirmath

That's what is called the "black market" Chrissy. And if the IRS catches you, they will go after you.

MOST of what is sold on craigslist, though, is not for a profit. So it isn't an issue.

I know people used to think they didn't have to worry about income of stuff they were selling on ebay but the IRS took notice and started auditing these people running a business off of ebay.

Yes, you need to claim all profits you make selling stuff. And the amounts you get from jury duty, from baby sitting, from "renting" out your car, house sitting, etc. It is all income. Some of it is just easier for them to track than other. I guess it comes down to "What do you do when nobody is watching?"

crunchierthanthou

bumping this up, because I'm trying to keep better track this year.

How do you all count it when you resell items you originally bought for personal use?

example, I bought a Marathon for $145 summer 08. I sold the cover right away for about $60. I got a replacement cover for $25. I used the seat off and on for about 1 year. I just sold it for $140. Do I count that I was into it for $110, and it's a $30 profit? or did I really make more than $30 if you account for any depreciation over the year I used it, which would be somewhat ambiguous?

freqflyer

Here is the response from a tax professional:

There is no depreciation since the “stroller” was not capitalized and depreciated. She has a profit and technically speaking (according to the Internal Revenue Code) she should report the amount gained as ordinary income since the item in question was personal property. The method of determining gain is questionable: Paid $145 and immediately sold the cover for $60. How much of the $145 should be allocated to the cover. Let us assume 10% is allocated to the cover – thus when she sold the cover there was a gain of $45.50 or $60 less basis of $14.50 (10% of 145). When she later sold the stroller for $140 her basis in the stroller would have been $130.50 or $145 less $14.50. A gain of $9.50.

mommy-medic

And only in the USA will the government spend $249,346.82 going after that $9.50 :rolleyes:

To clarify- rolling eyes at the gvt, not any poster here.

freqflyer

Totally agreed. I got some eye rolling for asking too. Personally, I wouldn't bother to report it but I wanted to answer the question.

crunchierthanthou

Here is the response from a tax professional:

There is no depreciation since the “stroller” was not capitalized and depreciated. She has a profit and technically speaking (according to the Internal Revenue Code) she should report the amount gained as ordinary income since the item in question was personal property. The method of determining gain is questionable: Paid $145 and immediately sold the cover for $60. How much of the $145 should be allocated to the cover. Let us assume 10% is allocated to the cover – thus when she sold the cover there was a gain of $45.50 or $60 less basis of $14.50 (10% of 145). When she later sold the stroller for $140 her basis in the stroller would have been $130.50 or $145 less $14.50. A gain of $9.50.

Hmm, I never thought to break it up like that. Maybe I should say that Britax sells new covers for $70+, so the $60 was actually a loss. :p

I know it's really nitpicky. You can go ahead and roll your eyes at me. I'm just trying to figure out how much I make with buying and reselling. I'm pretty sure I break $500/year, but I don't know by how much. Mostly, I'm trying to justify my Target clearance stalking habit. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC