Advice/Suggestions??

flick37

Hi!

I am trying to decide on what to do next...

DD is 3, approx 36lbs, and about 38.5 inches tall
DS is almost 10 weeks, 14lbs 5.5 oz and 23.5inches and will be RF until he can no longer be.
I think both kids will be tall like their dad...

DD is FF in a TF and a MA.
DS is in a Safeseat, but only in my car. He has no seat in the truck, and I hate installing the bucket, so we always use my car.

What I was planning to do was pass the MA onto DS and have it RF in the truck.

Now, I am wondering what to do next for DD.

Do I get her a Frontier or nautilus and keep her FF in the harness OR do I invest in one of the higher limit RF seats for the car, and move the TF to the truck (car is the main vehicle).

My concerns about getting a higher limit RF seat are:

1. my car is a 2004 subaru forester, which I am vastly loyal to, but there isn't much space in the rear seat. DH is almost 6'4" so we can't have 2 seats RF in the car for practical reasons. Even when I am in the front passenger seat, I have to get out, move up the seat, just to get the handle in the upright position to remove the SS1. In fact, even with DD FF behind DH in the driver seat is pretty tight for her.
I was thinking of maybe getting one of the higher RF seats, have DD sit in it FF and then DS can use it RF...but if they are going to be a pain to install, not sure if I want it...

2. I am incredibly pathetic at installing seats and ease of install is a MAJOR criteria for me (and I do mean major ). From what I have heard, the radians are a bit of a challenge to install, so while I would love one of their seats that go RF to 45lbs, I am hesitant for that reason. I am not sure how the 40lb RF seats are install.

BUT, I would LOVE to have DD still RF, but I am not sure if we will be able to do it. We have thrown around the idea of getting a new car, but we have been doing lots of home renos, so am not sure if it will happen anytime soon (I would love the new style forester, but even with the extra room in the back seat, not sure if it is enough...we have friends who just got one, so for sure are going to try it out ). DH is all about my parent's vehicle, which is a Toyota Highlander...

Anyway, I digress....

I do not live in a place that has much for carseat options, just walmart & cdn tire, basically, so to try out a seat before buying is not an option.

I do have a friend who has a frontier, so I could try it out. Not sure if a nautilus would fit 100% on the seat of my car, but it would in DH's Ford F350, at least I think it would!

Any word if there are plans to increase the TF RF limit???

Thanks for reading through all of this...any advice?

ADS

mommycat

Ugh. Too tired to come up with any great ideas for you, but do consider the MyRide, since I have seen it referred to as a pretty easy install and it sounds not huge to install as well.

Misty-Bug

not exactly sure what to recommend. I would probably do the Nauti for your daughter then the marathon for your son. Check you r manual on your infant seat. Because some of them allow you to have the handle up. I think Graco is one of them. That may make it easier for you too

mommycat

I haven't heard anything about the TF limits getting bumped up, though that doesn't mean I haven't missed something.

The SS1 definitely allows the handle to be left up in the vehicle (only a couple of the intermediate positions are not ok). That might make your life a little easier right off the bat. :) The SS1 should give you a good long time before you need to switch him into a convertible. Although a more upright convertible can take up less room than an infant seat...

How do the TF and the MA fit RF in the Forrester? I guess you probably already tried installing them more upright? (as much as 30 degrees from vertical for the MA and 35 degrees from vertical for the TF) These 2 seats are 2 of the better ones for being able to save on front/back space, so that's good.

Where did I read, just today, that the Complete Air tends to give a nice vertical (sometimes too vertical) install? Maybe that would be a seat to try your DD in. The MyRide also sounds like the install is fairly straight-forward and the specs are similar to the MA, I think. No clue on the Radian in that vehicle, and of course that one you do need to know if it will install or not.

All that said, at 3 I would probably be ok just leaving her FF (how "3" is she? closer to 2 or closer to 4?). I would try your friend's Frontier because if it won't/you can't get it to install, that would make the choice easier.

As for the issues with installing, can we help you out in some way? What are your trouble spots? And, have you ever met up with a tech to get a tutorial? There are tons of great tips here on how to get seats in easier, but I find for some, seeing someone install IRL is a great help. Where in Canada are you?

Depending on the selection at your local Walmart, you might find the Nautilus and the MyRide there. I don't even bother looking at Canadian Tire anymore. :(

flick37

The SS1 definitely allows the handle to be left up in the vehicle (only a couple of the intermediate positions are not ok). That might make your life a little easier right off the bat. :) The SS1 should give you a good long time before you need to switch him into a convertible. Although a more upright convertible can take up less room than an infant seat... :(

I know, I know (blushing)...I keep thinking about that (I do read my manuals :D ), but I guess I have it deeply ingrained in my head that the handle must be down...I will definitely keep it up from now on!!

I plan to keep DS in the SS1 for awhile yet, but want the MA RF for the other vehicle.

The TF & MA fit okay RF behind the passenger seat in the forester, but that isn't an issue for us, as if we are all in the car, DH will drive and I, who am much shorter than he is, will sit with the seat forward, closer to the dash. That means that only one seat can be RF, not both.

DD turned 3 at the end of Oct, so closer to 2 than to 4.

My main issue with installs is getting a tight enough fit, and being confident that there is enough incline for RF. I am quite comfortable with installing the MA FF and the TF both RF & FF. I had a heck of a time installing the SS1 with the latch, but managed it much better with a seatbelt install, with a lot of help and advice from techs on this site :love: I have often used the services of the awesome experts here when installing :D...posting pictures, getting suggestions, etc.

since turning DD back to RF probably won't be an option with our vehicle, I think I might look at the frontier or nautilus for her, and then worry about getting DS a higher RF seat when he outgrows the SS1 & MA. Perhaps, more higher RF seats will be available then??? (here's hoping!!)

Thanks for your replies!

mommycat

That sounds like a plan. Also, by the time DS outgrows the MA, you may be replacing the Forester, anyway... :)

flick37

I went out with the kids today and kept the handle of the SS1 up...it felt so foreign to me to do that! Part of me keeps wondering if it is "as safe" as keeping it down...but, if the manual states it is okay, then I have to assume it has gone through rigorous testing, right?? Wasn't the issue with the handle breaking and becoming a spear-like projectile? (I could be way off on that one).

mommycat

not sure if that issue was proven or not... wasn't paying attention about this. I think they probably beefed it up rather a lot before allowing it to be up. For heavier kids RF, I seem to remember reading it may be safer to have the handle up as it would act as a sort of anti-rebound device. Don't quote me though.

flick37

For heavier kids RF, I seem to remember reading it may be safer to have the handle up as it would act as a sort of anti-rebound device. Don't quote me though.

that kind of rings a bell, actually... I *think* I remember hearing about that during all the discussion about the transport canada tests a few months ago

dogmelissa

it may be safer to have the handle up as it would act as a sort of anti-rebound device. Don't quote me though.

FWIW, the rebound issue is one reason why I'm ticked off that I *can't* have the handle on my Evenflo Embrace up.

In any collision, unless there's something attached to the handle in the 'up' position, or something else in the vehicle that contacts it (projectile), any breakage of the handle will be due to rebound and contacting the seat back. There's nothing pulling or using the handle when it's in the car, so there's no other way for it to break. Since rebound collisions are obviously at much less force than the 'original' collision (and perhaps won't even happen at all!), I wouldn't think that the handle breaking would really be a cause for concern of injury. I'd much rather have the handle up to prevent the child's face from contacting the seat back (where allowed by manufacturer) and risk the handle breaking off than have the handle down and have the child's face injured in a rebound.
Dang Evenflo!!!!!! (But I'm not going to complain too much cause I didn't have to pay for the seat!)

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled discussion. Sorry for the Off-Topic!

Melissa

mommycat

Well, at least there is very little evidence to suggest that rebound and contact with the seat back causes any serious injuries. The issue is more of an actual issue with the higher weight buckets because kids would be heavier (rotating more) and taller (more at risk of impacting top of seat/truck glass), or in a truck where the glass is right there behind the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC