Carseat suggestions??

mylittlestar

Hello everyone! I am new here and just found this forum as I am trying to figure out what kind of a convertable carseat I should start looking for. My son is now 6 months and in a Chicco Keyfit (22 lb). Right now he is 14 lb 6 oz, so we have a way to go weight wise, but he is at 75% height and only has about 2 1/2" left above his head.

The primary vehicle this will be used in is a 2002 Tahoe and would like something that would also fit in a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The Tahoe has latch (at least in the outer 2 seats), but the Toyota does not. I could buy a second carseat for the FJ if needed to make sure that my son is in a better seat the majority of the time.

The rear tether I've heard mentioned sounds good, but does this work in a non-latch location? From reading on here, it sounds like the Radian XLT (think I am missing a letter here?) is the favorite for both the rear tether and the 40 lb rear facing capabilities. It just looks so big and I am curious if it would even fit in the FJ. I haven't seen this carseat at any of the local stores, so not really able to try it out to see.

I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has to share on this. Thanks in advance!

Rhonda

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hello everyone! I am new here and just found this forum as I am trying to figure out what kind of a convertable carseat I should start looking for. My son is now 6 months and in a Chicco Keyfit (22 lb). Right now he is 14 lb 6 oz, so we have a way to go weight wise, but he is at 75% height and only has about 2 1/2" left above his head.

You've got quite a bit of time then. It could take him months to get either the weight or the inches.

[quoe]The primary vehicle this will be used in is a 2002 Tahoe and would like something that would also fit in a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The Tahoe has latch (at least in the outer 2 seats), but the Toyota does not. I could buy a second carseat for the FJ if needed to make sure that my son is in a better seat the majority of the time. [/quote]

Cars since 2002 have been required to have LATCH. My manual is downstairs, so I can't double check at the moment, but are you sure about the FJ Cruiser?

The rear tether I've heard mentioned sounds good, but does this work in a non-latch location? From reading on here, it sounds like the Radian XLT (think I am missing a letter here?) is the favorite for both the rear tether and the 40 lb rear facing capabilities. It just looks so big and I am curious if it would even fit in the FJ. I haven't seen this carseat at any of the local stores, so not really able to try it out to see.

It's the XTSL, it rear faces to 45 pounds, not 40, and you can use the tether with the seatbelt, either rear or forward facing. I've only been in an FJ once, but I think it would fit.

In addition to the Radian I'd look at the Learning Curve True Fit, the Graco My Ride, Safety 1st Complete Air, and Evenflo Triumph Advance. For either car.

Wendy

mylittlestar

Wendy -

Thank you for your response! I may be wrong about the latch in the FJ. I just couldn't see it, like I could in the Tahoe. I will have to look closer. That would be good news though! I just wanted to figure out what seat would best suit our needs, so I can get what we want. The Chicco kept getting backordered and took 3 months longer than originally promised, so I will feel better to have one on hand.

So the 45 lb weight on the Radian may not be a requirement since ds would likely outgrow the height before the weight. The backseat of the FJ, just seems so small, but I can get the Chicco in the middle (no base) and it seems to be a big seat?? Although it definately would not fit with the base in the middle and would be tight on the sides. Thank you for the other suggestions on the carseats! I will have to look at those as well : )

Rhonda

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your FJ has LATCH outboard, but you'd need to do a seatbelt install in the middle.

I've only been in an FJ once, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. But I fit back there easily to install a seat, no cramming me in to do it (and I was pregnant at the time).

If you don't need the 45 pounds, nor would be using the LATCH, save some money and get a regular Radian XT. Or one of the other seats mentioned. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC