Rear facing tether towards front of vehicle - why?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Please talk to me about why I'd want to tether my rear-facing seat to the front of the vehicle. I can totally see the benefits of tethering it towards the rear, but other than assisting with proper angle, I don't understand the crash benefits of forward tethering. I have visions of a springboard effect - the seat back moving down in a crash (not restrained at all by the forward tether) then stopping suddenly on the rebound (because it is held by the forward tether) and launching my child's head off the seat until it rebounds itself, causing it to impact the seat - instead of both head and seat moving together. Please tell me what I'm missing!

ADS

scatterbunny

Swedish RF tethering, tethering toward the front of the vehicle, prevents rebound, or cocooning.

Australian RF tethering, over the top of the carseat to the back of the vehicle (to a standard FF tether anchor) prevents overrotation (the carseat moving downward toward the front seat or floorboards of the car). Australian seats have anti-rebound features already, so they can tether this way to prevent overrotation and not worry about rebound.

In the US most use Swedish tethering to prevent rebound of the carseat into the vehicle seatback, and brace the top of the carseat shell against a front vehicle seat to prevent overrotation, if possible.

This page might help, too: http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#toptetherRF

unityco

And what seat are you using? Only Britaxes and Sunshine Kids Radian can be tethered RFing.

Wendy

I don't have any seat at the moment... just researching my options for number 2... I do realize that not all seats can be tethered while rear-facing.

unityco

Swedish RF tethering, tethering toward the front of the vehicle, prevents rebound, or cocooning.

Australian RF tethering, over the top of the carseat to the back of the vehicle (to a standard FF tether anchor) prevents overrotation (the carseat moving downward toward the front seat or floorboards of the car). Australian seats have anti-rebound features already, so they can tether this way to prevent overrotation and not worry about rebound.

In the US most use Swedish tethering to prevent rebound of the carseat into the vehicle seatback, and brace the top of the carseat shell against a front vehicle seat to prevent overrotation, if possible.

This page might help, too: http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#toptetherRF

From the above page: "Finally, tests conducted by a competitor a few years ago showed that dummy neck loads increased significantly when the restraint was tethered to the floor in both frontal and rear impacts."

This is basically what I'm afraid of... so are the risks worth the benefits, or is it 6 of one, half a dozen of another?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
From the above page: "Finally, tests conducted by a competitor a few years ago showed that dummy neck loads increased significantly when the restraint was tethered to the floor in both frontal and rear impacts."

This is basically what I'm afraid of... so are the risks worth the benefits, or is it 6 of one, half a dozen of another?

Yeah, what exactly does increased neck loads MEAN? Is it really increased injury potential? The swedes have been tethering in this manner for decades and reporting phenomenally low head and neck injury rates for these kids, so the bulk of the evidence points to increased neck loads not being a real concern, I think.

scatterbunny

Yeah, what exactly does increased neck loads MEAN? Is it really increased injury potential? The swedes have been tethering in this manner for decades and reporting phenomenally low head and neck injury rates for these kids, so the bulk of the evidence points to increased neck loads not being a real concern, I think.

That's my thinking, too. If it really were a problem, we'd see more real-world proof of that.

And about NZ/AU seats tethering over the top of the carseat to the rear of the vehicle, that's to prevent overrotation, right? And their seats already have anti-rebound features, right?

Here, most seats do not have anti-rebound features. When I consider overrotation and rebound, I guess I'd rather prevent rebound by tethering Swedish style. Overrotation will be taken care of in most cases by the top of the carseat coming in contact with the front vehicle seat(s).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC