Infant seats starting at 3 lbs?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are none.

The Combi Shuttle is rated "from birth" though. So is the Graco Assura (institutional seat, recently discontinued) but the straps are way too high for kids under 5 lbs. to often fit it well. If I had to choose between fitting by weight or height I think I'd probably choose height though ideally it would be both.

Next year the Coccoro will be but not helping you now. ;)

And then there are some from 4-- Keyfit, OnBoard...

There's a car bed rated "from birth" too.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
The parents I'm emailing with in Texas, think baby might come home just under 4lbs. They are going to get the KF but didn't know what to do if baby was just shy of 4lbs.

jessclear

DD2 was under 4lbs when we brought her home in the KF. We had no other choice. I must say that she fit very well in it. We had to remove the head rest to keep her airway open, put a washcloth around the crotch buckle and put another rolled washcloth behind her shoulder blades. The one behind her shoulder blades was to keep her airway open. If this small baby has no special needs like that, just putting him/her in the seat without the headrest (it is allowed), a washcloth around the crotch, and rolled blankets beside the head, he/she will fit beautifully, even though the seat isn't rated for that weight.

We weren't even able to find a car bed for Eva's weight and she needed to be upright, not laying flat, so no go there either.

I was also at a seat check once with 5lber, but very skinny, who didn't fit in the Snugride well. We put the baby in a KF without the headrest (again for headflop/airway issues) and it was perfect.

That would be my choice from experience, but I've never seen tiny ones in the Shuttle. good luck!

Kat_Momof3

as long as the carseat fits... strap wise, I don't think LESS weight than the minimum (unless it's forward facing or a booster, of course) is really a problem... the straps will always restrain LESS... just not MORE than the limit, you know?

the limits are really there more for what the smallest body they think will fit the straps.

Now the ones that will tighten down the most that I've seen were the combi shuttle's, but I'm sure the keyfit would do well, also.

I'd have them look at both.

(someone on babycenter way back when actually was able to fit an 11" Zoe (sesame street) stuffed doll properly into a combi shuttle (the straps were a little above, but obviously no baby comes home in a regular carseat at a total height of 11"... they'd be in a carbed... the point was to show how much the straps would tighten down)

Lara

(someone on babycenter way back when actually was able to fit an 11" Zoe (sesame street) stuffed doll properly into a combi shuttle (the straps were a little above, but obviously no baby comes home in a regular carseat at a total height of 11"... they'd be in a carbed... the point was to show how much the straps would tighten down)

lol, that was me! I don't think I still have those pictures but yeah, Zoey fit well in the shuttle. I put her in the snugride too, and she did not fit at all.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
From what I've seen it does go very small. I agree though that it's much more important to fit by height and be properly positioned, airway-wise, and properly tight in the harness than to meet the minimum weight.

steph_s

I had to bring home a 3lb 5oz little one in the my Keyfit before and he fit perfectly in it. I had to do the same thing as the pp and use a small wash cloth in the crotch area, but the straps tightened down perfectly fine and the bottom slots were literally less than a pencil width higher than his shoulders when we got home so after he settled into the seat. While at the hospital he was just a hair above if not even with the harnesses. Honestly, the straps could even go tighter than I needed to bring him home if necessary.

I also think it's more about overall fit verses the bottom weight limit if we are talking about infant bucket seats. If the shoulder straps are at or below the shoulders, the straps are tight enough, ect. then I think the seat would be ok.

cryswilkins

I put one of my DD's tiny baby dolls in the KF when we got it and it fit great. I agree that if they already have the KF and baby passed the carseat test at a hair under 4lbs I would not worry too much.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I recommended the KF because I have experience with it. I helped a family with a *JUST* 4lb preemie. He fit very well, but needed the wash cloth in the crotch area. I also showed the family the pic of the baby in the KF, with and w/o the insert.

I will let them know that the Shuttle is also a good option.

Thanks again ladies :love:

Kat_Momof3

lol, that was me! I don't think I still have those pictures but yeah, Zoey fit well in the shuttle. I put her in the snugride too, and she did not fit at all.

and where the heck have you been?? lol... I couldn't remember for sure if it was you, so didn't want to give the wrong name.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I recommended the KF because I have experience with it. I helped a family with a *JUST* 4lb preemie. He fit very well, but needed the wash cloth in the crotch area. I also showed the family the pic of the baby in the KF, with and w/o the insert.

I will let them know that the Shuttle is also a good option.

Thanks again ladies :love:

The OnBoard is also specifically designed to fit and support preemies, and has low slots and goes tight too.

My cousin is TINY, I recommended the OnBoard for her baby, who was born less than 6 lbs. and less than 18 inches, and she was over the bottom slots and the harness could have gone much tighter. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC