New inflight airline rules and car seats?

bubbaray

With all the chaos in air travel of late, rules changing by the hour, etc, does anyone know if you are still allowed to take a child restraint on board, particularly if you have purchased a ticket for the non-infant child?

While we're at it, does anyone know if you can still gate check strollers and car seats?

TIA

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Last I heard they were lifting the new rules, which were no moving about in the last hour, no blankets over you for the last hour, and international flights coming to the US had people being pat down. Nothing about strollers or carseats.

Wendy

Auntie2Avi

I just flew on Sunday and saw people on my flight with carseats, and a bunch of people who checked strollers at the gate.

hth

Maedze

To the best of my knowledge, no 'rules' have changed wrt to child restraints, which are still recommended for all children under 40 pounds on flights.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Rules have been changing? Why? Is this U.S. only?

Because someone with ties to Al Queda tried to blow up an Amsterdam to Detroit flight on Christmas Day. Northwest flight 253. They detonated a device over Detroit. Did nothing other than burn themselves in the crotch, though.

Wendy

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Because someone with ties to Al Queda tried to blow up an Amsterdam to Detroit flight on Christmas Day. Northwest flight 253. They detonated a device over Detroit. Did nothing other than burn themselves in the crotch, though.

Wendy
Yikes! I haven't been following news due to the holidays keeping me busy so I had no idea.

Maedze

Wendy

Ah, Karmic Justice, how I love thee.

emthecountrycat

Wendy

LMFAO i didn't heat about that....theres nothing good on the news so i don't watch it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just curious. If your LO is sleeping, do they make you take baby blankets off?

I'm sure it's somewhat up to the discretion of the flight crew. The post airline interviews I've seen are that they are quite strict, when they say nothing on your lap, they mean it ('no, you can't even read the last chapter of your book, ma'am). I'd dress my kid in layers.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Any changes or restrictions seem to be in an ongoing state of flux right now, with some indications in the media that it will depend on where a U.S.-bound flight is originating from (outside the U.S. vs. inside the U.S.), the particular airline, and the flight crew's discretion. I've also heard/read some news reports that specifics about any new restrictions will be forthcoming during the airport security screening process and/or the actual flight rather than pre-announced, supposedly to keep everyone on their toes with regard with to thwarting any further attempts. That doesn't help those who are in the middle of their holiday travels or planning to travel soon, but your best bet for now probably is to visit the Transportation Security Administration's site at www.TSA.gov, and also the specific airline and airport's websites for details, and be prepared for longer security checks at the screening point and possibly at the gate as well. I'd link you guys to a picture reported to show the would-be plane bomber's scorched undies but the link seems to have gone poof from the Detroit Free Press (freep.com) website as I was typing this, must have been pulled. Aha, here's a link at the ABC news website showing the would-be underwear bomb: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/northwest-airlines-flight-253-bomb-photos-exclusive/story?id=9436297. :eek:

Jeanum

Staff member
Yes, I just saw a news article about the temporary no-carry on restrictions for Canadian-origin flights to the U.S.: http://freep.com/article/20091229/BLOG20/91229021/1318/ Some exceptions are noted at the end of the article:

"Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, diplomatic or consular bags, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, medication or medical devices, musical instruments, or any special needs items."

Our next plane trip is tentatively planned for late Feb. and I'm wondering if we're going to be quizzed about RSTVs or our Epi-pens for both DD's food allergies. The last time we flew last summer, a security screener gave our children's sealed, liquid Benadryl extra scrutiny, unsealing the box and rescanning the bottle, and pretty much ignored the Epi-pens that we were carrying in the same zip-lock bag.

Safe travels, everyone.

leighi123

We're flying into detroit on New years day, I guess there security is supposed to be stronger than other airports for now, so I'll see how it goes!

bubbaray

Our next plane trip is tentatively planned for late Feb. and I'm wondering if we're going to be quizzed about RSTVs or our Epi-pens for both DD's food allergies. The last time we flew last summer, a security screener gave our children's sealed, liquid Benadryl extra scrutiny, unsealing the box and rescanning the bottle, and pretty much ignored the Epi-pens that we were carrying in the same zip-lock bag.

I always fly with a letter from my girls' allergist advising of their medical conditions and what medication they need to have immediately available (EpiPens, various inhalers). Of course, all bets are off in the current security climate.

InternationalMama

I flew once (2001) when there was a no carry-on rule in effect. They gave you a little plastic grocery bag at check-in to put your laptop, camera, vital stuff in and then made us check our carry-on bags. Everybody bought tons of stuff at duty free and I think most people got on the plane with more bags than they would have ever normally had!

I can't imagine there would be a problem taking a car seat on board for a child with a ticket.

Jeanum

Staff member
I always fly with a letter from my girls' allergist advising of their medical conditions and what medication they need to have immediately available (EpiPens, various inhalers). Of course, all bets are off in the current security climate.

Same here, notes from the allergist travel with us as well and will hopefully suffice going forward. We usually fly from and back to Detroit, which should be extra "interesting," and we've already had extra security scrutiny instances during our travels pre-dating 9/11 as well as after 9/11 not even counting the Benadryl scrutiny I posted about earlier. I was picked for a random screening going through security at Detroit in 2000, over a year before 9/11, and had my carry-on bag full of a few days worth of clothes and underwear opened and sifted through before I was allowed to proceed to the gate. I know someone who checked a Safeguard Go last year in its bag at Detroit, and it had a note on it indicating it was opened and searched more thoroughly by TSA when she retrieved it from baggage claim (should have taken it as carry-on IMHO but it was checked instead). DH is joking security/TSA will mistake our RSTV for a bomber vest the next time we fly. :rolleyes:

loufrando

DH is joking security/TSA will mistake our RSTV for a bomber vest the next time we fly. :rolleyes:

:ROTFLMAO: My dad made a joke about his 'Uzzi' at an airport in 1989 and almost got taken down by security. Your husband sounds like a kindrid spirit. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC